Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Introduction To New Elk Country!

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Introduction To New Elk Country!

Postby ElkNut1 » 06 20, 2012 •  [Post 1]

This info is for those not as fortunate as some of us who have the privilege of living in Elk Country! Living outside of it can really have some wonder as to what to expect & what does actual Elk Country look like?

Once your area to be hunted has been established ones wonder about where to camp? Are all roads dirt? Any paved ones? 4-wheel drive only? Any campgrounds, etc.?

Because of these questions let's consider a few of the basics for those wondering? Now I've been through quite a bit of Elk Country in various states & things can differ depending on areas selected, but for the most part the photos & information applies!

Here's a typical paved road leading into areas to Elk Hunt, it's away from the small towns that generally are 5-50 miles away so be prepared to have extra fuel & groceries that can handle your time away from town. Many will go back into towns to restock up when the need arises so pay attention to the last town you drive through to see items that may be available, especially gas & ice!

ElkNut1
Attachments
DSCN1743.jpg
DSCN1743.jpg (81.34 KiB) Viewed 7632 times
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Re: Introduction To New Elk Country!

Postby ElkNut1 » 06 20, 2012 •  [Post 2]

Here's a few photos of the Country to be seen as you head to your pre-determined hunting area!

Always know a bit about any private lands that may border close to your hunting areas, you do not want to trespass or hunt so close to them where an arrowed elk may head straight for the private lands & be un-retrievable? Give yourself a cushion!

Be aware some areas have time restrictions for ones stay. This one is 10 days others can be longer or shorter. Most require you move 5 miles or further to reset up camp!

ElkNut1
Attachments
DSCN1747.jpg
DSCN1747.jpg (74.06 KiB) Viewed 7628 times
DSCN1738.jpg
DSCN1738.jpg (47.08 KiB) Viewed 7628 times
DSCN1744.jpg
DSCN1744.jpg (106.64 KiB) Viewed 7630 times
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby ElkNut1 » 06 20, 2012 •  [Post 3]

If you have stock you're bringing be aware of the laws & rules for the selected area. They too can vary for bringing in feed for them as well as corralling them. There are generally signs posted per area or Trailheads as to these rules!
Notice too the warnings of ones pets & bears that live in these areas & how to handle foods to stay safe from their intrusion! Most is common sense stuff!

ElkNut1
Attachments
DSCN1752.jpg
DSCN1752.jpg (100.14 KiB) Viewed 7629 times
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby ElkNut1 » 06 20, 2012 •  [Post 4]

As you head down the paved roads eventually in most cases these roads can turn to dirt roads or you will turn on to one or more to get to your spots of interests! You most likely do not know where to camp unless you've received tips previously so you may search for one once you get there! Here's a typical main dirt road that generally will have other not as well maintained spur roads to choose from!

ElkNut1
Attachments
DSCN1821.jpg
DSCN1821.jpg (92.56 KiB) Viewed 7628 times
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby ElkNut1 » 06 20, 2012 •  [Post 5]

Here are some spur roads off the main dirt roads! You can see that it's not really suited for the family car! (grin) So consideration to a truck & in many cases a 4 wheel drive may be needed! Check local weather conditions for the time frame you plan your hunt! The snowy photo was taken on Sept 2nd so you never know, be prepared! It could 10deg or up to 80deg, pack accordingly!

ElkNut1
Attachments
snowy truck13.jpg
snowy truck13.jpg (47.5 KiB) Viewed 7628 times
DSCN1819.jpg
DSCN1819.jpg (127.67 KiB) Viewed 7628 times
DSCN1820.jpg
DSCN1820.jpg (115.75 KiB) Viewed 7628 times
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Freebird134 » 06 20, 2012 •  [Post 6]

ElkNut1 wrote:As you head down the paved roads eventually in most cases these roads can turn to dirt roads or you will turn on to one or more to get to your spots of interests! You most likely do not know where to camp unless you've received tips previously so you may search for one once you get there! Here's a typical main dirt road that generally will have other not as well maintained spur roads to choose from!

ElkNut1

Aren't these the good roads for driving around on an ATV and calling the bulls right to you? hahaha :D
Freebird134

First Name: Brandon

Postby ElkNut1 » 06 20, 2012 •  [Post 7]

Whether you're driving up or flying & renting a rig to get into your elk country have items that can help you get out of a rough spot. You never know when you may need a shovel, jumper cables, tow chain or tow strap. At times you may need a saw of any kind to get you out of a scrape! Even a Wyoming Saw can do the trick when it's not possible to have a chainsaw along! Having items like these can have you prepared for Sept & Oct hunts! Here's few obstacles where things as mentioned could come in handy. A tree can come across a road before or after you've been by & entrance or exit may be needed! Things happen, not all the time but when you least expect it!

ElkNut1
Attachments
DSCN1816.jpg
DSCN1816.jpg (106.74 KiB) Viewed 7619 times
DSCN1773.jpg
DSCN1773.jpg (108.2 KiB) Viewed 7619 times
DSCN1767.jpg
DSCN1767.jpg (121.4 KiB) Viewed 7619 times
DSCN1760.jpg
DSCN1760.jpg (118.62 KiB) Viewed 7619 times
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby bnsafe » 06 20, 2012 •  [Post 8]

paul, this is exactly what i was asking about. this is my favorite web site ever and i go to alot of them. thanks so much for the info. so where would you camp at around these areas. the area im hunting doesnt allow hunting but there is suppose to be some blm about 20 miles from there. im not sure if i can just sleep in my blazer in the hunting parking lot as long as i just sleep there and dont pitch a tent etc or if it closes at a certain time.
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Postby ElkNut1 » 06 20, 2012 •  [Post 9]

Camping spots is what's next! (grin)

So are you saying you are going to camp in a no hunting zone? Or are you going to drive the 20 miles where you can hunt & camp there?

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby bnsafe » 06 20, 2012 •  [Post 10]

at this point im plannin on camping 20 ish miles away and driving to my spot every morning. however, im gonna talk to the warden again and see if i can sleep in the car in the parking lot. not sure what the rules are there.
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Postby ElkNut1 » 06 20, 2012 •  [Post 11]

There are no rules! You're not asking to sleep in the Wallmart parking lot! (grin) You can sleep anywhere you'd like on National Forest, BLM, State land or anything open to the public! A game warden is not one to ask about camping in an area, in your case it would be the BLM headquarters for that area, but I can tell you they don't care! You only have to be aware of any fire restrictions if planning a campfire! There may even be a campground in the area, check into it, that's part of your preparation & your homework!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby dreamingbig » 06 27, 2012 •  [Post 12]

Awesome thread! Thanks for sharing.
dreamingbig

Postby Swede » 06 27, 2012 •  [Post 13]

Even in perfect weather I carry a good sharp axe (no hatchet) and a shovel. In less than excellent weather I carry tire chains, and have enough supplies to survive an overnight stay. You never know when a dead tree will fall or something else will block the dead end road you traveled down earlier. It can also be disappointing to find a fallen snag is keeping you from getting to your destination. Snags can and do come down on calm days in dry weather.
Elk country is huge. You can easily find yourself walking many miles to get help if you get stranded. I can tell you every Forest Service vehicle is equiped with an axe, shovel and usually chains. Over the years I used them many times. We signed out to our general destination and also had an excellent 2 way radio, but I hated to use mine. I would do nearly anything to avoid calling for help.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby ElkNut1 » 06 28, 2012 •  [Post 14]

Camping spots seem to be a big concern to many & it should be! Hunters need to know what legal & available at the same time. Most all public land areas allow camping where ever you want to pull over & camp as long as you are not blocking roads, trails or other areas that would hinder public access. Some spots are that ones use to camp are obvious as in the 3rd photo.

The 2nd photo shows that it's a small area where you can pull off the road & into it. Some areas have creeks or streams for water use but not all will.

In the 1st photo, there are small areas to camp as in campgrounds with a public restroom there! Some have running water but most do not, all depends on the area? Too, most will not have electrical power or hook ups. If power is needed you will need a generator!
Attachments
DSCN1749.jpg
DSCN1749.jpg (65.82 KiB) Viewed 7489 times
DSCN1823.jpg
DSCN1823.jpg (101.2 KiB) Viewed 7489 times
DSCN1758.jpg
DSCN1758.jpg (121.4 KiB) Viewed 7489 times
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul