Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Do You layer & Why?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Do You layer & Why?

Postby ElkNut1 » 06 19, 2012 •  [Post 1]

We generally always layer our hunting clothes these days, jackets are rare to find on us! Layering with todays gear makes it so easy to stay warm/cool & comfortable!

How about everyone else, how do you control the outside temps?

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Re: Do You layer & Why?

Postby HurricaneHuge » 06 19, 2012 •  [Post 2]

I can't speak from personal experiences as far as the west goes, but the shift to layering systems in the whitetail woods of WI have changed how I view clothing and hunting apparel entirely. Layers are so effective when switching between times of heavy activity and inactivity, rising and falling temperatures, or quick changes in weather. Will not see me hunting ever again without a layering system.
HurricaneHuge

Do You layer & Why?

Postby Buckriser » 06 19, 2012 •  [Post 3]

I layer on almost very hunt. Mornings can be chilly especially at high altitudes, and when your out all day the afternoon heat canl be too much. So I just take a layer or two off and continue to hunt. Its the best way to control your body temperature. I definitely don't want to sweat if I can help it, and I don't want to be shivering my butt off on those chilly mornings.
Buckriser

Last Name: Riser

Postby Ridgernr » 06 20, 2012 •  [Post 4]

I layer my clothes and the outer most layer is a fleece vest, no need for a jacket if the core is warm with a vest, and no sleeves to be in the way of a bowstring.
Ridgernr

First Name: Randy

Postby ElkNut1 » 06 20, 2012 •  [Post 5]

Couldn't agree more guys! I also layer my socks! Two pair no matter the temps & sometimes 3 pair on real cold days! I've rarely had a blister by sticking with two pair, the theory is that instead of your foot sliding even a little bit in a boot over tons of miles between one sock & boot, your two socks slip amongst one another. Now you don't feel any slipping but it does occur in the different types of terrain we all hunt in! All I know for sure is I don't get blisters! I've done this for close to 40 years!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby HurricaneHuge » 06 20, 2012 •  [Post 6]

What types of socks are you layering ElkNut? I've really starting using socks like SmartWool the past couple of years, but 2 pairs of light hikers I would think would be pretty warm in September.
HurricaneHuge

Postby elkmtngear » 06 20, 2012 •  [Post 7]

Merino Wool base layer for me, and a packable light jacket (breathable and weatherproof). Depending on temps, and the amount of walking I do, I will wear the jacket in the AM and shed it and stuff in my daypack when the sun comes up. For early snow or cold conditions, I might just double up the base layer. I would rather be a little cold than get overheated when doing "elk aerobics"

I also layer socks with an inner pair of poly socks, and smartwool outers. I will wear gaiters on wet mornings.
Best of Luck,
Jeff (Elknut Forums Sponsor)
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
the Elk Mountain SLIP System...SLIP it on, SLIP in, and get the SHOT!
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Do You layer & Why?

Postby Buckriser » 06 20, 2012 •  [Post 8]

elkmtngear wrote:I also layer socks with an inner pair of poly socks, and smartwool outers. I will wear gaiters on wet mornings.

+1 my inner sock is a tight poly compression sock with an outer wool. No blisters, ever.
Buckriser

Last Name: Riser

Postby HurricaneHuge » 06 20, 2012 •  [Post 9]

I've used what Smartwool calls their "Liner" socks, but was hoping there might be a better option when layering against blisters.
HurricaneHuge

Postby ElkNut1 » 06 20, 2012 •  [Post 10]

I do have & have used the smart-wool socks as one of the two but not until cooler weather has hit! I generally wear one thin cotton & one light wool sock, they rub against one another nicely & never against my feet,toes or heel. Outside temps do not effect my wearing one or two unless it dips into the low teens, then a 3rd can be added but it must be very thin, layering them helps a lot! Standing still in cold windy weather can take its toll though! (grin)

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby dotman » 06 20, 2012 •  [Post 11]

Sure do, only jacket I take now is a rain jacket.
dotman

Postby Freebird134 » 06 21, 2012 •  [Post 12]

ElkNut1 wrote: I generally wear one thin cotton & one light wool sock

Cotton? Don't you know you can't hunt in cotton any more??? Synthetics or Merino wool only! I think it might even be in the regulations (or just the Internet Forum Regulations!) Then again, you are the guy that doesn't use camo, Kifaru packs, or trekking poles. Against the grain! I like it :)

Everyone "layers," don't they? I mean, nobody goes elk hunting in a down coat with nothing underneath it! :) I suppose I don't really layer for an Aug 15 pronghorn hunt in the desert--1 layer feels like too much clothing!

The answer to "why we layer" of course is because weather is unpredictable. Half the time I check the weather in the morning, something unexpected happens that night! Given the weather man can barely get tomorrow right, I can't trust a 10 day forecast when I'm headed out for a week of hunting! So I prepare for anything (reasonable). Like dotman said, my only jacket is my rainjacket (Rivers West). Below that, I have a down vest. Like Ridgernr said, keeping your core warm is the important thing, and reduced bulk in the arms is great for shooting. Plus a vest is lighter than a jacket. I like the synthetic down because it has a higher warmth to weight ratio than fleece.

Hopefully this year is actually cool enough to need the jacket and vest!
Freebird134

First Name: Brandon

Postby Lefty » 06 25, 2012 •  [Post 13]

Most of my mornings start with frost,.. I walk fast to keep warm enough to shoot. Once sunrise happens its more of a challenge to stay cool
Last year
T shirt,
longsleeve camo nylon hot weather shirt
Drake waterfowl jacket
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby elkaholic » 07 05, 2012 •  [Post 14]

Definitely layer- Under Armour then a light fleece shirt under my camo henley. Rivers West jacket goes on the pack.
elkaholic

First Name: Leland
Last Name: Stanford