Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

What makes a hunting pack?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

What makes a hunting pack?

Postby MTLongdraw » 03 02, 2013 •  [Post 1]

I often find it interesting how color makes the product. Camo for hunters, black is tactical, and well you get the point. With that being said, I'm not a huge pack guy but know a lot of people on here are. I'll use the Osprey Atmos 65 pack for example. What makes it different from a M.R. or a Stone Glacier? Does anybody use actual backpacking packs while hunting? If so how do they work? Opinions on if this is a smart choice for a hunter to do.

http://www.rei.com/product/828429/osprey-atmos-65-pack

http://www.stoneglacier.com/solo.html

I guess the first thing that jumps out at me is price. Also likely the ability to haul more weight with the load shelf.
MTLongdraw

First Name: Josh
Last Name: Volinkaty

Re: What makes a hunting pack?

Postby Freebird134 » 03 02, 2013 •  [Post 2]

I've used regular ol' REI packs for hunting, and they work fine. The only real, functional difference I've noticed on a good "backpacker" style pack and a "hunter" style is noise. The material on the packs at REI and similar tends to be noisier.

I also think some of the backpack style packs don't carry heavy loads well. Some do. Some don't. Try before you buy (which goes without saying with all packs)
Freebird134

First Name: Brandon

Postby Indian Summer » 03 03, 2013 •  [Post 3]

My day pack is VERY important and has to have the abillity to pack an elk quarter. Those type usually come in camo.

My bivy pack is a Kelty Red Cloud 110 liter in dark blue. Love PINK isn't an option other than that I don't care what color it is..... dark so it doesn't get to looking like a mess.

I'm about to buy a used Barneys Freighter from a guy and that will be my external frame carry as much as you freakin can pack and again.. color doesn't matter.

What makes a pack? Functionality, period. It's a tool.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby elkmtngear » 03 04, 2013 •  [Post 4]

MTLongdraw wrote:I often find it interesting how color makes the product.

I love the color of dried blood, if it has that on it, it certainly qualifies ;)
Best of Luck,
Jeff (Elknut Forums Sponsor)
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
the Elk Mountain SLIP System...SLIP it on, SLIP in, and get the SHOT!
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Postby Vanish » 03 04, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Comparing my Badlands pack to my friend's backpacking packs, the biggest different is the noise. I can walk through anything and my pack stays quiet, whereas just touching one of their packs makes a loud rustling.

Secondly is color. Many backpacker packs are bright so they can be seen in case of an emergency, but my wife's is a nice sage green that would be fine for hunting.

Third is weight. Due to the quiet material, my hunting pack is heavier.

Edit: Some hunting packs have pockets / straps / guides that are obviously designed for a piece of hunting equipment, like the eberlestock rifle sling. My Badlands 4500 pack claims it is designed for carrying a rifle / bow but what they suggest doesn't work for me.
Vanish

First Name: Ryan
Last Name: Driskel

Postby WindedBowhunter » 03 04, 2013 •  [Post 6]

I use a Mystery Ranch Dragon Slayer in OPTIFADE, which is a hiking recreational pack. I primarily use this pack for over-nighters, day hunts and whitetail hunts.

I also have a Mystery Ranch Crew Cab, which I use for my 5-10 backcounty/bivy hunts. This pack allows me the versatility of packing in my whole campsite, packing out game and or quarters. With the functionality of using it as a day pack on the daily hunts.

I look for a pack that is relatively comfortable, I say relative as comfort is subjective, especially if your hauling an elk 8 miles from the backcountry! I look for fit and durability. If I want to "drop" my pack and make a run I can with my MR packs, not worrying if they will rip or not.

I also look for design and functionality for my uses and likes.

Lastly, the pack needs to organize and fit all of my gear to my liking, again this is subjective.
Keep the wind in your face
Certified NASP & Explore Bowhunting Instructor
APA Archery, Victory Arrows, Hamskea, Stokerized ProStaff
WindedBowhunter
Site Sponsor

First Name: Rudy
Last Name: Hassall

Postby G Posik » 03 04, 2013 •  [Post 7]

I run the Stone Glacier SOLO. I also added two external pockets and can carry everything for a September elk hunt of 10 days. This nay when I get to camp the external pockets come off and compress the pack down for the day hunt. This pack is light weight, carries 130# no problem and is quiet. I have hunted out of a few different pack and this by far is my favorite. I think the biggest difference between this pack and a backpacking pack is the weight capacity and noise. Then comes the fit. There are a few other top quality packs on the market in the same price range as the SG. For me the SG is the best fit and most comfortable.

Glenn
G Posik

First Name: Glenn
Last Name: Posik