Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Core 4 suggestions

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Core 4 suggestions

Postby snake » 02 18, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Since I will be going 2nd and 3rd week of September in Colorado, what would you guys suggest as far as the Core 4 clothing? What all from their lineup do you think that I will need to take with me. I know it's not gonna be practical to buy and take everything that they have. Plus, I really don't want to spend more money than I really have to. Any ideas or suggestions would be great. Thanks.
snake

First Name: Jacob
Last Name: Dirnbeger

Re: Core 4 suggestions

Postby ElkNut1 » 02 18, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Jacob, I love their stuff & have used it for 2 years now, bottom line, it's affordable & great gear. (grin) On the time of year of your elk hunt I'd start with the merino wool base layer in both bottoms & tops. If a 2nd or 3rd long sleeve was needed I'd have a polypropylene long sleeve & a medium wool shirt long sleeve available at camp. The temps would dictate the needed layers. For the outer garment I'd have the Element shirt & element pants, this totals about 250.00 tops for base-layer & outer Element camos. If it's real hot out leave out the bottoms base layer. Layering is key here as opposed to just a bunch of heavy clothing. Get yourself some nice medium wool socks & decent boots & you're good to go in comfort.

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Broken arrow » 02 19, 2013 •  [Post 3]

I have the element pants,merino boxers and love them! At first the knee pads felt weird but after a couple of uses they feel fine and my knees love them my daughter and I crawled about a 100 yds on a whitetail doe and it was nice on the knees. I mostly have first lite for the merino wool and wanted the element jacket but ended up getting the apex gale 4 for dirt cheap. I have a tight budget. Core 4 is for real. And you can get it all from camofire for a great price.
Broken arrow

Postby snake » 02 20, 2013 •  [Post 4]

I thought that the element jacket and pants were close to $200 apiece?
snake

Postby ElkNut1 » 02 20, 2013 •  [Post 5]

They are if you buy retail. On camofire.com watch for them to come up like broken arrow mentions. These items will come up one at a time on random days. The Element pants will cost 125.00 -- Element Shirt 48.00 -- Merino Wool longsleeve base layer 45.00--50.00 -- Merino wool base layer leggins 30.00 -- If you also want the Element Jacket that would be 125.00. These are aprox prices on camofire. In one month you could have all of it as they come up repeatedly throughout the year.

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby snake » 02 20, 2013 •  [Post 6]

Ok, thanks. I just ordered the mid mountain vest the other day and I've been watching camofire for a while now debating on whether to buy anything yet or not. I just don't want to buy everything and then it be the wrong size if I lose much more weight. If I can get it all for that much cheaper I may just end up buying it anyways and using it for whitetail hunting here at home as well.
snake

Postby ElkNut1 » 02 21, 2013 •  [Post 7]

Good idea, I use the Core 4 Gear for all my hunts from Turkey, Bear, Deer & Elk! If it get's real wet & cold I do get out the wool though! It's generally later Oct. & Nov. hunts though when I resort to them.

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Broken arrow » 02 23, 2013 •  [Post 8]

I got lucky and got my pants on camofire for $45 I think it was? I'm 5'8" and got the small size. Also got the small merino boxers for $15. Sometimes being a little guy has its benefits :D
Broken arrow