Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Need a new release

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Need a new release

Postby Freebird134 » 02 15, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Ok, maybe I don't "need" a new release, but I dang sure am looking at getting one :)

Suggestions?

I've been looking at either a Carter Two Shot or a Scott Silverhorn, but am open to other ideas.

Carters worry me because they are loud. I've got $50 in bow silencing material on my bow, so it seems weird to drop $100 on a release that goes "CLICK!" at the release (and, if you aren't careful, when nocking the release too).

I'm thinking about trying a hook style release, but have concerns that seem similar to other guys.....and everyone seems to get over those concerns!

So what do you guys recommend, think, or shoot?
Freebird134

First Name: Brandon

Re: Need a new release

Postby ironhead22 » 02 15, 2013 •  [Post 2]

The Scott silverhorn is a fantastic release, as far as the hook it does take a little adjustment but you will get use to it and will become second nature for you.
ironhead22

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Thompson

Postby otcWill » 02 15, 2013 •  [Post 3]

I shoot the Carter Like Mike and love it, very little noise.
otcWill

Postby bowpackerrob » 02 15, 2013 •  [Post 4]

I have been using the spot hogg whipper snapper thumb release open hook and I love it. Has helped my accuracy as well. It did take a little adjustment from a wrist style but after that, no problem.
bowpackerrob

First Name: Robbie
Last Name: Crocker

Postby buglmin » 02 15, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Scott Lil Bitty Goose or the Tru ball Short n Sweet...tough very tough and dependable releases.
buglmin

Postby Freebird134 » 02 15, 2013 •  [Post 6]

otcWill wrote:I shoot the Carter Like Mike and love it, very little noise.

I find all the carters make a pretty distinct "click" when you pull the trigger. I don't know that it matters, but it bugs me :(

buglmin wrote:Scott Lil Bitty Goose or the Tru ball Short n Sweet...tough very tough and dependable releases.

I've shot Scott LBG for years. It is a great release. I have 2 of them right now! :) But I am getting that itch to try something new....
Freebird134

Postby LckyTylr » 02 15, 2013 •  [Post 7]

I shoot a Scott as well, not sure which model.

This thing is SOLID. I like it.
LckyTylr

First Name: Tyler
Last Name: Sisson

Postby planebow » 02 16, 2013 •  [Post 8]

I to have 2 of the scott lbg. Have one in my pack for back up.
planebow

First Name: Robert
Last Name: Howard

Postby Freebird134 » 02 16, 2013 •  [Post 9]

I'm 99% sure I'm going to go with the new Silverhorn. I've had great success with Scotts in the past, the price is right, and the Carter (as much as I want it to) hasn't won me over.
Freebird134

Postby HurricaneHuge » 02 17, 2013 •  [Post 10]

Hook releases are the only wrist style release I'll use for hunting. Too simple to hook up without taking your eyes off the situation. I love Scott. Might be worth just trying the Tru-Fire Hardcore. Really comfortable release with the foldback option that makes doing anything with a release on your hand possible. Shoot them side by side to compare. I also like the Scott Rhino XT, which is the silverhorn with all the options to make it customizable.
HurricaneHuge

Postby Willie makit » 02 17, 2013 •  [Post 11]

I've got on old cobra that ive had for years and mid december a buddy gave me a scott (no idea of model, the jaw attached with strap) I like it because the jaws can be tucked under the leather and stored quietly. dislike it because its combersome to "catch" and string up, especially in a rush. I like the idea of the fold aways, but not sure of those hook types. What are the draw backs of these hook types?
Willie makit

First Name: Thomas

Postby Freebird134 » 02 17, 2013 •  [Post 12]

I went ahead and bout a Scott Siverhorn thisafternoon, just over $60 shipped ain't bad! If I hate it, I can resell it. But I've used scotts for years, so I have high expectations. That TRU Ball beast looks interesting too, but I basically refuse to buy anything that says "Bone Collector" on it. :roll:
Freebird134

Postby Willie makit » 02 20, 2013 •  [Post 13]

I got a tru fire fold back with hook the other day and agree, much better than jaw type. It's pretty easy to hook up without having to look down for loop.
Willie makit

Postby HurricaneHuge » 02 20, 2013 •  [Post 14]

Anything Bone Collector is made without the Bone Collector sticker and generally $15 less. Insane what those guys can sell with a sticker.
HurricaneHuge

Postby pointysticks » 02 21, 2013 •  [Post 15]

a stranger walked into my camp. he was shooting with the spot hogg, hook style. he let me try it. pretty cool. the hooks engage with ease. with practice i bet it could almost be no-look.

i use a trufire tornado. it is a double clamp. i bought a spare. what i do like about the caliper type is: i tend to shake with excitement. i can hook up the release and put some tension on it in any direction..it wont let go. i think if a big (ok..ANY) elk came in..i would shake off the d-loop.

for me, if it aint broke.........

good luck. hope the new release is everything you want.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby Willie makit » 02 21, 2013 •  [Post 16]

Pointy stick, you make a point. Once or twice I've tried to make a fast shot while practicing with my new hook release and rolled my hand a little and had the hook come off, nearly launching the arrow, from now on Ill keep my thumb on the hook until i draw. Its still new to me so Ill make that thumb lock a standard procedure, sure is nice to think about this kind of stuff now instead of trying to train myself september.
Willie makit