Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Head Lamp for Sneeking In at Night !!!!!!!

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Postby WA Backcountry » 02 15, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Hey Guys,
I'm fairly new to the Elknut experience but I can already tell that this upcoming season is going to be exciting. One of the elk nut methods of calling at midnight has me thinking about how to get in without disturbing the elk.

Do you guys have any headlamps that you feel will be the best for sneaking into a good calling spot in the dark without completely exposing your location to the elk? You hear red and green cannot be seen by elk, but that is usually the guys selling the gear that say that. What is your opinion on color and style of head lamp? Does it make a difference? Do you just get in there and let things settle down before calling?

Thanks for the Help,
WA Backcountry
WA Backcountry

Re: Head Lamp for Sneeking In at Night !!!!!!!

Postby dotman » 02 15, 2013 •  [Post 2]

IMO it doesn't matter and you don't want to get so close you call them in at midnight, I believe this tactic is mainly meant to locate for a morning hunt, so I don't bust in to far or to far from camp. I use this to just see what is around.
dotman

Postby Freebird134 » 02 15, 2013 •  [Post 3]

I use a red or green lamp a lot. There are 2 benefits. 1) animals are less likely to see the dimmer red or green light than a full white light, but these are mammals not reptiles or insects--they do still see red and green lights. 2) it's easier on your eyes/night vision; you'd be surprised how well you navigate with a red headlamp. I use the Black Diamond Spot.
Freebird134

First Name: Brandon

Postby Indian Summer » 02 15, 2013 •  [Post 4]

I agree with dotman but when I am moving I keep my headlamp in my hand for a couple reasons. One... it's obviously lower so less likely to be seen. I keep it aimed downward at all times for the same reason. Also... I close my hand around it only letting enough light peek out to see what I need to on the ground.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Huntrgathr » 02 15, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Indian Summer wrote:I agree with dotman but when I am moving I keep my headlamp in my hand for a couple reasons. One... it's obviously lower so less likely to be seen. I keep it aimed downward at all times for the same reason. Also... I close my hand around it only letting enough light peek out to see what I need to on the ground.

I do this also. I always try to go without a light at all first but if I need one I cup it and keep it low.
Huntrgathr

Postby Herb » 02 15, 2013 •  [Post 6]

I'm not wearing glasses, so my lamp is on my head to see branches that could cause problems with my eyes.

I like the red light.
Herb

Location: The Corner of Nebraska that is Too Far from Colorado
First Name: S
Last Name: Herb

Postby Indian Summer » 02 16, 2013 •  [Post 7]

Herb wrote:I'm not wearing glasses, so my lamp is on my head to see branches that could cause problems with my eyes.

As seen in picture! Nice bull bud :D

Man did I hit my eyeball good this fall. Down for the count for 20 minutes. A good point.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro