Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

limb twist

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

limb twist

Postby ironhead22 » 02 14, 2013 •  [Post 1]

I have a question for you stick and string guys, my daughters are showing some interest in shooting. A buddy I work with gave me a youth Fred Bear recurve and the upper limb is twisted a bit. Its #25 at 27 inches, would it be safe to shoot or should I hang it on the wall and get something else?
ironhead22

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Thompson

Re: limb twist

Postby cnelk » 02 14, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Gonna send you a PM
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby buglmin » 02 14, 2013 •  [Post 3]

Run the twisted limb under hot hot water, and twist it the oposite way. Pull it out of the hot water and hold it twisted in the oposite direction. Keep repeating it, and the limb will straighten out. But the water must be very hot...
buglmin

Postby ferris bugler » 02 14, 2013 •  [Post 4]

With a lite bow like the one you have you should be able to twist it the opposite direction and get the twist out. Check for cracks in the glass and any king of damage that may cause a weak spot though. Good luck.
ferris bugler

First Name: rewk
Last Name: patten

Postby G Posik » 02 16, 2013 •  [Post 5]

The hot water method will work if you take your time. You might want to also find a bowyer in your area and let them look it over. Make sure no cracks in the limbs any where. Most recurve bows with twisted limbs happen because of 2 things: 1not using a stringer to put the sting on/off. 2 storing incorrectly, a trad bow should be stored with the string in place and hanging. People will lean them in the corner and with the limb tip touching the ground this causes the limbs to twist.

Glenn
G Posik

First Name: Glenn
Last Name: Posik