Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Eberlestock J34

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Eberlestock J34

Postby Bill in MI » 02 12, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Just found the forum, lurked all weekend lol. Good info here.

Looking for overall opionions on this pack for a smaller frame (5'8" 155lb) guy.
1-bivy use
2-meat hauler

Looking to pick up a used one.
Thx
Bill
Bill in MI

First Name: Bill
Last Name: Martin

Re: Eberlestock J34

Postby Freebird134 » 02 12, 2013 •  [Post 2]

WELCOME BILL

I have no first hand knowledge of that pack, but I've had my hands on quite a few eberlestocks. Their quality is great. I've had trouble with them fitting me (I'm tall) but it sounds like that wont be an issue for you. Hopefully someone can chime in with more specifics, but I bet you won't be disappointed. Of course, the best idea is to get one on your back with a few (dozen) pounds in it and take a hike! :)
Freebird134

First Name: Brandon

Postby Miller1 » 02 12, 2013 •  [Post 3]

I would say it would fit you really well, i have a blue widow and i am 6', with it maxed out on the adjustments it fits me good with 60lbs in it, i am in sturgis, mi, if your close i would let you try it out.
Miller1

First Name: Rick
Last Name: Miller

Postby dotman » 02 12, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Pack should fit you and is built like a tank. Unfortunately Eberlestock doesn't seem to want to build a pack to fit taller guys. Other then how mine killed my shoulders it was a great pack, sold mine to a member here after 1 season and went to Kifaru, now I'm addicted to Kifaru.
dotman

Postby BOWNUT » 02 14, 2013 •  [Post 5]

I have a J34 and the small spike camp duffle and used it on my first Elk hunt. It carried more then I needed with no problem. I think the best part about this pack is how you can collapse it down to day pack mode and fits narrow on your back. You can bend the internal frame for a custom fit. I'am 5' 11". I have never used mine for gun hunting but the scabbard has lots of other uses and tucks up under tight. I put my tent poles and stakes in it and used a compression sack for my tent to give me more room. As a bivy pack and backpack system it worked well for me.
BOWNUT

First Name: john
Last Name: kehrer

Postby Tensilon » 02 19, 2013 •  [Post 6]

Hi Bill,
I have 2 the J34 and the J107. For a person your size, the J34 should work very well. As stated by others it can
go small and light, or it can carry way more in it than you would wish to. Especially, if you are going far and high.
I've had no trouble adjusting it to my 5'11" frame or up to that of my 6'1" 15 year old. We both have the super spike
and spike camp duffels to increase the load to whatever you can fit in it. Estock says that it will carry whatever
you can fit in it or lash on to it and it has been my experience that this is way more than I would wish to carry for many
miles. Definitely high quality gear.
BTW, I have an old buddy in MI and every spring I join him near Manistique for the spring turkey hunt. Reminds me of
the pleasure we had when hunting together as very young men in northern MN:)
Regards,
Tens
Tensilon

First Name: Larry

Postby Broken arrow » 02 19, 2013 •  [Post 7]

I have a blue widow and have no complaints. Ive had over 70# in it and while I know it's there I never had the shoulder burn. I did have a little tenderness on the hips after 2 days and 15 miles in the mountains but I will be taking mine on a 10 day bivy/spike camp hunt this year. I also have the spike duffel.
Broken arrow

Postby Sean_TeamNWHunting » 02 28, 2013 •  [Post 8]

I currently use a j34 and really like it. The internal frame hugs my spinal contours and gives me great support no matter how big the load is. I once took a 10 foot fall by slipping off of a large bolder , landing on my back miles from the nearest road. My j34 protected me so I didn't sustain any injuries. I use it for both archery and rifle hunting.
Sean_TeamNWHunting

First Name: Sean
Last Name: Gallagher

Postby Bill in MI » 03 05, 2013 •  [Post 9]

Thank you for all the info. I ended up going with this
http://www.kifaru.net/ZXR.html with the top lid and grab it pouch. Is it xmas yet?
Bill in MI

First Name: Bill
Last Name: Martin