Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Arrow rest recommendations

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Arrow rest recommendations

Postby ORelksniper » 02 07, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Made the switch from a whisker biscuit to rip cord fall away rest. Like all the features of the rip cord except one. When I let down with an arrow nocked the rest falls away and the arrow slings out sideways wildly. I've tried looping my finger over the arrow to prevent the sideways flailing but with a razor sharp broadhead on the end I can envision bad things happening. My first question is, does anyone here use a rip cord rest and learned to control the arrow on let down? If that is just a function of the rip cord I don't think I want it. Second question is, which fall away rest would you guys recommend and why?
ORelksniper

Re: Arrow rest recommendations

Postby cnelk » 02 07, 2013 •  [Post 2]

QAD PRO HD

All will be good in your world!

Full containment.
Rest stays up even after you let down

That's what I have...
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby pointysticks » 02 07, 2013 •  [Post 3]

when i had a ripcord (great rest!) i put two tabs of material on the launcher arms to form a cradle for the arrow shaft when the rest was down. it was this neoprene sticker stuff. wish i had a pic. does my explanation make sense? also, my ripcord, i took adhesive camo moleskin and wrapped the arm fingers like handlebar wraps. i covered the tips with shrinkwrap to keep the ends from unraveling. what this did was make the arm not only quieter, but thicker so it also cradled the arrow shaft.

dang i wish i kept a photo. it worked beautifully. you will need to retune the bow, because it will lift the arrow shaft.

now i shoot the same QAD as above. my QAD had one hiccup where it didnt drop..my ripcord never missed a beat. i dont know what happened to the QAD..never done it again.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby mandrroofing » 02 07, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Trophy ridge revolution,this rest is very simple to install,it has full containment,its quit and strong.aaaaaannd it is under 100.oo bucks! Diff check it out...
mandrroofing

First Name: Matt

Postby >>>---WW----> » 02 07, 2013 •  [Post 5]

QAD is supposed to stay up when you let down I believe. But that worries me and makes me wander if it will fail when I release. Hopefully it will work properly.

Sounds like you may have a bow that has a little too much poundage for you to handle on a controlled let down.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Freebird134 » 02 07, 2013 •  [Post 6]

hmmm.... I thought I responded once, but it disappeared.

I basically said "Limbdriver Pro V." Full containment, simple design with few moving parts, and really easy to set up. With a spare pull cord, you could reset up your rest in 2 minutes with just a small allen wrench--a lot easier than a QAD or Ripcord (which are both nice rests too)
Freebird134

First Name: Brandon

Postby Swede » 02 07, 2013 •  [Post 7]

I have the ripcord on my PSE Vendeta bow. I never have had a problem with it. I have a hard time picturing how it could kick an arrow to the side. The arms simply move up and down. The arrow is either contained in the rest or the rest has dropped down out of the way. I removed the top containment holder as I considered it a nuisance, but I would not think it would have contributed to a kick.
If you are considering a QAD, I would check to see if the rest moves from side to side. My old one did.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby ORelksniper » 02 07, 2013 •  [Post 8]

Guys, thanks for taking the time and giving me some recommendations. I'm gonna check 'em out while continuing to tinker with the Ripcord.

Swede, you are correct. The rest only goes up and down...nothing there to cause a sideways kick. The problem occurs during let down. The launcher appears to drop very quickly leaving the nocked arrow suspended in air.

WW, my draw weight is only 64#, however, my shoulder was slightly messed up years ago when it got in the way of a flying metal projectile. I may have to drop the poundage in order to better control the let down.

Pointy, I think I can picture what you were describing. I like that idea and if I can figure out how to control the wild flailings of the arrow I'm gonna try your suggestion
ORelksniper

Postby ElkNut1 » 02 07, 2013 •  [Post 9]

I've shot the ripcord for 4 years now, man I love that rest! Never noticed what the arrow does if I let down? It is a very good rest!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby CrazyElkHunter » 02 07, 2013 •  [Post 10]

cnelk wrote:QAD PRO HD

All will be good in your world!

Full containment.
Rest stays up even after you let down

That's what I have...

I agree with Brad. I use QAD Pro HD on all my bows. Cool looking red one on my target bow. Never had a problem. You can let the draw down and the arrow stays in shooting position. Flick the thumb lever and remove your arrow. Turn the bow upside down, and arrow will not fall. Great for tree stand hunting. Very easy to tune. Spend the few extra bucks for the Pro HD because it is quieter due to less plastic and more rubber noise dampeners on thumb lever and spring housing. All my friends switched from Rip Cord to QAD. ;)
CrazyElkHunter

First Name: Bill
Last Name: Custer

Postby FemoralArchery » 02 07, 2013 •  [Post 11]

QAD is what we all use. I shoot the LD and my dad shoots the HD. Honestly I don't think theres any difference in performance between the HD/LD, but that's just me. Literally the only difference listed in my catalog between the two is that on the HD, the little thumb flip lever has a rubber dampener on it, if thats worth $20 to you, then go for it.

Between the two of us, we've shot them for 5 years, never a single malfunction, ever. Super easy to install and tune; its one bolt and the cable clamp. And, if you know the right people, the LD is $98 and the HD is only $112, even the HDX is only $125 and that's the "top of the line model" and they all have a lifetime warranty.
FemoralArchery

First Name: Adam

Postby otcWill » 02 08, 2013 •  [Post 12]

Another QAD fan here. I prefer the cheap ones (QAD hunter $50). One of the best deals in archery IMO! No need to "keep up with the Jones's". A bull's eye is a bull's eye and I'll take mine for $50 not $150
otcWill

Postby Swede » 02 08, 2013 •  [Post 13]

For you guys that use the QAD: Does your rest move back and forth just by pulling and pushing on the shaft? My old one moved about 1/8 inch and there was no way of knowing where the rest was at for windage from shot to shot. I liked the rest except for that.
Swede

Postby otcWill » 02 08, 2013 •  [Post 14]

Nope. That must have been some sort of defect.
otcWill

Postby FemoralArchery » 02 08, 2013 •  [Post 15]

Swede, it definitely shouldn't do that. If you still have it, you should be able to get it repaired/replaced because they have a lifetime warranty.
FemoralArchery

First Name: Adam

Postby >>>---WW----> » 02 08, 2013 •  [Post 16]

otcWill wrote:Another QAD fan here. I prefer the cheap ones (QAD hunter $50). One of the best deals in archery IMO! No need to "keep up with the Jones's". A bull's eye is a bull's eye and I'll take mine for $50 not $150

I agree with you Will. Once you have your rest tuned, there is no need for all the micro-adjust junk that you have to pay extra for!

Personally, I'm a Ripcord Code Red fan. Yeow, I know, it has all the bells and whistles. But I bought it off of Ebay for $50 bucks.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Swede » 02 08, 2013 •  [Post 17]

It is probably too bad that the dealer, I purchased the Ripcord from, threw my QAD rest into the garbage. He said they were all that way and that is why he would not stock them. I took his word for it. That is also why I asked the question here too. I wondered if you hunters experienced the same problem, or if it was corrected. It never occurred to me that maybe the dealer was totally wrong about them.
Swede

Postby planebow » 02 08, 2013 •  [Post 18]

That dealer probably pulled that rest out of the garbage as soon as you left
planebow

First Name: Robert
Last Name: Howard

Postby ironhead22 » 02 09, 2013 •  [Post 19]

I've had great luck with my trophy taker pronghorn rest. Rugged as hell and reliable.
ironhead22

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Thompson

Postby mtelkkiller » 02 14, 2013 •  [Post 20]

I have used with much pleasure and success the QAD HD becaue you can pop it up manually and it stays up without being drawn

Recently i have been using instead the NAP Apache micro tune.....it has full containment and i LOVE the micro tune option....make tuning less frustrating to me.

My dream rest would be a QAD HD with a larger area for fletching clearance and an Apache like micro tune set up.....Hint hint QAD
mtelkkiller

First Name: John
Last Name: Weiss

Postby jensenrw.2000 » 02 17, 2013 •  [Post 21]

I was using a trophy ridge revolution last year, which after 5 days of Idaho back country elk hunting abuse, quit locking in place but was still usable if I canted the bow while drawing, there was no way to break down the rest in field and no amount of fussing with it would get it to lock in place, figured it had a broken part inside. Well 4 days later as I drew back on a bull 20 yards out that was stepping into my lane, I forgot to cant the bow and the arrow ended up on my forearm. No big deal besides me losing my crap, I'll just let down and redraw... wrong. After not working for 4 days the rest decided to lock in place which required me to flick it to get the arrow back on the rest which produces a "metallic twang" which spooked the bull. I liked the rest till that trip but gave it away soon after, now using the rip cord with no complaints.
jensenrw.2000

First Name: rob
Last Name: jensen

Postby bowpackerrob » 02 17, 2013 •  [Post 22]

I have been using the trophy taker rest since they came out in early 2000 or late 1990s and started out with the trophy taker shakey hunter series. I still have that rest on one of my 3d bows and it still works great. I have been using those rest since then and have been very impressed with durability and no problems. I am now using the smackdown pro by trophytaker and have it on both my element and matrix. The rest are very easy to tune as well.
bowpackerrob

First Name: Robbie
Last Name: Crocker

Postby HurricaneHuge » 02 17, 2013 •  [Post 23]

I'll point out a $50 QAD carries a useless 90 day warranty. The Pro Series carries a lifetime warranty.
HurricaneHuge