Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Lite Weight Water Purifier

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Lite Weight Water Purifier

Postby Da White Shoe » 02 03, 2013 •  [Post 1]

I don't ever pack a camp in on my back anymore, but for those of you that do... I think this might be something to try.
It's a water purifier that uses ultra-violet light to kill 99.9% of bacteria in water.
It will purify 32 ounces in 90 seconds... just by stirring it in the water.
It has a sensor built in that lets you know when the water is safe.
The thing isn't any bigger than a flip phone.

The 6th one down on their list is the one I saw in use... $69.88.
Let me know what you think... http://www.freshwatersystems.com/c-614- ... fiers.aspx
Da White Shoe

First Name: zane

Re: Lite Weight Water Purifier

Postby Indian Summer » 02 03, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Nice beacause it's so small. I love my Katadyn Vario but I don't carry it around with me. This would be nice if you thought you might run out of water while out hunting. Maybe you could even carry less knowing you can refill.

By the way Shoes... we have an equipment forum for all of the gear and gadgets.

Welcome to ElkNut Forums!!!

Black Hills eh... maybe see you in August!
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Bows4Bulls » 02 03, 2013 •  [Post 3]

I used a steripen for several years. It worked well....when it worked. I constantly battled with making it through the sterilization cycle without a malfunction. Also, they require batteries, which equals weight, especially replacements for a multi day trip. I've since started using a Sawyer Squeeze filter. It is basically weightless, only a few ounces. They are as simple, cheap, packable, quick, and effective as any filter out there. Also, a few extra bladders are a great way to carry additional water if needed. Check them out:

http://sectionhiker.com/sawyer-squeeze- ... er-system/
Bows4Bulls

First Name: Cody
Last Name: Demetro

Postby Indian Summer » 02 03, 2013 •  [Post 4]

B4B... now that you mention it I don't think I'd care to have another battery powered device or depend on electronics for my safe drinking water. Like you said... it works when it works. That's not good enough for a plan A.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Da White Shoe » 02 03, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Indian Summer wrote:Nice beacause it's so small. I love my Katadyn Vario but I don't carry it around with me. This would be nice if you thought you might run out of water while out hunting. Maybe you could even carry less knowing you can refill.

By the way Shoes... we have an equipment forum for all of the gear and gadgets.

Welcome to ElkNut Forums!!!

Black Hills eh... maybe see you in August!

Yeah, I should have known to put it the equipment section. :oops:

August?.... Pronghorn or fish?
Maybe site seeing?
Da White Shoe

First Name: zane

Postby BobcatJerry » 02 03, 2013 •  [Post 6]

Tested the Steri pen this past fall. It's little hard to place your trust in something like waving a magic wand in the water and presto...it's safe to drink, but it worked. Pen weighs almost nothing, the bottle probably weighs more. I think a nice combo would be the Sawyer filter bottle and a steri pen combo. If you want to fill your packs hydration bladder, use the the bottle and steri pen and a minute later you have a bottle of safe water, or if you need some extra water for hydrating yourself, which I do a lot. I'll drink a whole bottle at a sitting to catch up. Then if the pen malfunctions, you always have the bottle as your back up or just use the bottle when you want a short drink. The bottle only functions like a water bottle and a straw. Kind of hard to fill a hydration bladder that way or make camp water for cooking.
BobcatJerry

First Name: Jerry
Last Name: F

Postby ferris bugler » 02 14, 2013 •  [Post 7]

The batteries for that thing die overnight in cold weather. I spent an entire hunting season boiling water to drink when I was trying to use that. It was about eight years ago and maybe they are better but I wont go back to one. I'd rather carry a little more weight and use a gravity filtration system. or bleach if I am worried about weight.
ferris bugler

First Name: rewk
Last Name: patten