Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Rain gear advice

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Rain gear advice

Postby foxvalley » 01 30, 2013 •  [Post 1]

I have been making do with my old raingear,but it is time to upgrade.
Looking for a quality set thats durable,breathable,that will keep me dry all day in the rain.It doesn't have to be packable(fit in the palm of your hand) If you have any suggestions, please let me know,I'm starting here with my search.
foxvalley

First Name: doug
Last Name: houghton

Re: Rain gear advice

Postby Harmy » 01 30, 2013 •  [Post 2]

I upgraded my system last year and decided to take the more expensive route. Kuiu Chugach. They worked flawlessly in rain during my elk hunt and recently in a wet snow all day. Very light and well made.
Harmy

First Name: Chris

Postby foxvalley » 01 30, 2013 •  [Post 3]

Harmy, I'm going to check them out right now. Thanks.
foxvalley

Postby Swede » 01 30, 2013 •  [Post 4]

I have a set of Cabela's high end rain gear. It has worked well for years. It is quiet, keeps me dry and has held up well.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby cnelk » 01 30, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Camofire has a Core4Element rain jacket on sale RIGHT NOW! 41% off
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby FemoralArchery » 01 30, 2013 •  [Post 6]

cnelk wrote:Camofire has a Core4Element rain jacket on sale RIGHT NOW! 41% off

He ain't lyin!!!
FemoralArchery

First Name: Adam

Postby G Posik » 01 30, 2013 •  [Post 7]

I have been using my camp Helly Hanson for years now. It will keep you dry no doubt. It pretty tough and if you happen to tear it a little bit of duct tape and you are good to go. Doubles as a great wind breaker with layers jeeps you super warm.

Glenn
G Posik

First Name: Glenn
Last Name: Posik

Postby foxvalley » 01 30, 2013 •  [Post 8]

cnelk wrote:Camofire has a Core4Element rain jacket on sale RIGHT NOW! 41% off

I just scored on the Core 4 Element rain jacket.........and the rain pants,41% off also!!! In my favorite camo pattern to boot,Mtn. Mimicry! THANKS GUYS!!!!
foxvalley

Postby LckyTylr » 01 31, 2013 •  [Post 9]

I'm sure that this is NOT what you are looking for, but I'm going to toe the line this year and see if I end up walking out with my tail between my legs like a wet puppy.

I'm leaving my North Face Tadpole tent at home . . . and taking this instead. Hunting Idaho, we don't get much rain . . .

http://www.golite.com/Poncho-Tarp-P885.aspx

Oh boy!
LckyTylr

First Name: Tyler
Last Name: Sisson

Postby foxvalley » 01 31, 2013 •  [Post 10]

LckyTylr wrote:I'm sure that this is NOT what you are looking for, but I'm going to toe the line this year and see if I end up walking out with my tail between my legs like a wet puppy.

I'm leaving my North Face Tadpole tent at home . . . and taking this instead. Hunting Idaho, we don't get much rain . . .

http://www.golite.com/Poncho-Tarp-P885.aspx

Oh boy!

LckyTylr, No, I think this is an out of the box way of thinking,I like it!! This would make a cool addition to an extreme spike camp, or someone freestyling. Thanks.
foxvalley

Postby foxvalley » 02 01, 2013 •  [Post 11]

They sent out my order from core 4 today,the torrent jacket and pants. One sideline job that I would really enjoy would be hunting "product testing,and product review" To give hunters a totally unbias report on how good a product is,or how bad.
I am going to start my testing,with this raingear.Not going to wait for a rain,I'm jumping in the shower,and going to see what this stuff is really made of.Testing will be totally unbias,as it all should be,and if anybody is interested in the results,let me know here.
Anybody have a product they need tested? Send it my way,I'll "test it" untill it breaks,blows up, falls apart,or untill the hell is beat out of it so much that it passes my strict guidelines.
The product that I am currantly testing is the argo 750 HDI,and 18" adair tracks. I can't begin to tell you how bad this thing has been beaten by me the last 9 months,and is the none the worse for wear.I have given up on trying to break it,now I just enjoy it.
foxvalley

Postby >>>---WW----> » 02 01, 2013 •  [Post 12]

If you have given up on the Argo, send it to me and I'll see if I can finish it off for you. LOL! Better yet, I'll come to your place and pick it up to safe you the delivery cost.

Those things are awsome!
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby foxvalley » 02 01, 2013 •  [Post 13]

>>>---WW----> wrote:If you have given up on the Argo, send it to me and I'll see if I can finish it off for you. LOL! Better yet, I'll come to your place and pick it up to safe you the delivery cost.

Those things are awsome!

LOL WW! You don't want this beat up ole thing,how about a brand new one? (just get out your wallet.)
I bought a used 6x6 vanguard to get me around in my swamp,and after 7 years, and a thousand hours later,the only time it ever let me down,and I had to walk out of my swamp,is when I blew a belt. I am so happy to be dealing in a product that I not only love,but truely believe in.
foxvalley