Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Sleeping bags

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Sleeping bags

Postby snake » 01 28, 2013 •  [Post 1]

I will be hunting Colorado the 3rd week of September this year. I know that nobody can predict the weather, but what are thoughts on the Silver City 35 degree sleeping bag for this time period. Think it will be ok or should I go with something warmer?
snake

First Name: Jacob
Last Name: Dirnbeger

Re: Sleeping bags

Postby Swede » 01 28, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Warmer.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby >>>---WW----> » 01 28, 2013 •  [Post 3]

Unless you are going to be in a heated tent or camper, I think you will be wise to go with a 20 degree bag, maybe even warmer if you are a cold sleeper..

Better safe than sorry!
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Indian Summer » 01 28, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Warmer!

What elevation? It can get pretty chilly the second half of September. I've seen snow during the day before.

That bag along with your tent is your lifeline. The bottom line for your shelter and comfort that will make or break your hunt. Shiver all night and you'll be achy and worthless the next day.

WW is right on the money! Better safe than sorry so unless you want to own more than one sleeping bag you need one that's up to the worst case scenario. Better to leave it unzipped or even hang a leg out than to be under equipped in that department. Laugh but I use a 30 below everywhere I go. I have two of them in case I'm using a base and bivy camp. Yeah I've slept on top of it but I've never had any regrets either.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby pointysticks » 01 28, 2013 •  [Post 5]

i've done CO in sept. it can get cold!!

i have a 20 deg bag right now. i bet i freeze. something changed in my body. i used to sleep hot..now i am always cold. my maiden voyage with my new 20 degree bag..man it has me rethinking it. i am gonna buy a liner for it.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby ElkNut1 » 01 28, 2013 •  [Post 6]

Yes sir, warmer for me too. It will work though if in a heated environment with a nice pad & a cot or bed.

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Buglemaster » 01 28, 2013 •  [Post 7]

Personally, I'd freeze something clear off in a 35dg bag. I have a 15 & sometimes its not enough...no sleep is a killer for the next days hunt.
Buglemaster

First Name: Dave
Last Name: Shaklee

Postby MTLongdraw » 01 28, 2013 •  [Post 8]

I have a 30 degree bag that I used in the second week of September last year. I froze. Go warmer.
MTLongdraw

First Name: Josh
Last Name: Volinkaty

Postby Indian Summer » 01 29, 2013 •  [Post 9]

It's always a good idea to hope for the best but plan for the worst. The worst is zero at night with snow followed by a wet miserable day where nothing dries. You best have an adequate cocoon to hole up in at night.

I've heard guys go the other way and say "If my bag doesn't quite cut it I'll sleep in my long johns" Bad idea. You'll sweat making things even worse and the next say you'll start out with damp base layers. Yes you will sweat in a sub zero bag if it's warm out but there are simple solutions. There really aren't any fixes for an underrated bag.

I'm not sure how to rate the ratings anyway. :?:

I don't think you'd sleep like a baby outside in a 30 below bag if it was actually 30 below out. What temperature is a 30 or 35 degree bag really comfortable to? Anyone else care to weigh in on that?
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Black Wolf » 01 29, 2013 •  [Post 10]

Go warmer!

I much rather be to warm and open up the zipper on my bag than to cold not be able to do anything more than shiver all night long.

I would suggest going with a bag that is rated 10 to 15 degrees below what you believe the average low temp will be at night.

I also LOOOOOVE Big Agnes bags because the sleeping pads are inserted into the bottom of the bag and I never roll off of them in the middle of the night. I'm a side sleeper and roll around alot so I like their bigger bags.

Ray
Black Wolf

First Name: Ray
Last Name: Cook

Postby ferris bugler » 01 29, 2013 •  [Post 11]

Same as the above say depending on where you will be. If you are above 8000 feet go with a 15 degree bag. You'll hunt better if you sleep warm. You'll sleep through hunts if you spend all night shivering. I know it from experience.
ferris bugler

First Name: rewk
Last Name: patten

Postby Harmy » 01 29, 2013 •  [Post 12]

I take a slightly different approach. I cheat.

First, I can't stand to sleep in a mummy bag. I am too thick and can't move and more importantly I have hot feet and most of the time need them sticking out in the open air (came in very handy when I was an ice climber...). Thus I never zip my bag up. I use my +20 deg Marmot bag but only as a blanket. This works for me nearly all the time but then I am hardly ever cold. In the rare event that I do get cold I double-up by wearing my down jacket under my "blanket". I also have a -20 deg bag but only take it if I know it will be below zero and/or I am camping in the snow. My number one cheat is not my bag though. It is a super warm fleece hat that I can pull down over my eyes. This is a dedicated sleeping hat and not something I wear when out during the day. I find that keeping my head warm does more for sleeping well than a super warm bag that more often cooks me all night.
Harmy

First Name: Chris

Postby Broken arrow » 01 29, 2013 •  [Post 13]

I think it depends on if you are a warm or cold sleeper. I have a 20* bag and have slept in below freezing temps (water bladder was froze solid and where my bag touched the tent had frost. I slept in boxers with my bag unzipped. I was sweating and only my nose was cold. Like Harmy said a hat can make a lot of difference.
Broken arrow

Sleeping bags

Postby pointysticks » 01 29, 2013 •  [Post 14]

True! I sleep in my ugliest beanie. Down "quilts" are really developing a following amongst weight conscious hikers. Yu save alot of weight with 2/3's of a bag.
pointysticks

Postby snake » 02 02, 2013 •  [Post 15]

Thank you all for the suggestions. After reading this, I will definitely be getting a bag that will withstand some colder temps.
snake

First Name: Jacob
Last Name: Dirnbeger

Postby bowhunterty » 02 02, 2013 •  [Post 16]

Warmer definately. But depends on if in a trailer, tent, backpacking, etc. In my Jumping Jack Trailer, base camp, use blankets plus a Buddy heater. Backpacking or using backpack tent for a few days use a 20 degree bag. But not all 20 deg. bags are the same.
bowhunterty

First Name: Ty
Last Name: Reed

Sleeping bags

Postby pointysticks » 02 02, 2013 •  [Post 17]

True. I want a non mummy for truck camps.
pointysticks

Postby wideangle » 02 02, 2013 •  [Post 18]

I use a (North Face Cats Meow) for back packing and elk hunting in temps down to 20-25 degrees.
I have a bag liner that I also use when temps are colder.
All bags are rated with the proviso you are sleeping in long underwear with a hat and have the mummy hood cinched over your head.
This bag is LW and durable. I have had mine for at least 10 years. It is a Backpackers Magazine Editors Choice Award winner.

http://www.rei.com/product/807886/the-north-face-cats-meow-sleeping-bag
wideangle

First Name: Joseph

Postby Freebird134 » 02 07, 2013 •  [Post 19]

Snake, check out Lafuma packs. They are often 1/3 of the price of the big brand names, but I've enjoyed mine. We have 2 of them, all are quality built, comfy and warm (relative to their rating). I pair mine with a liner and have a really light weight, warm sleep system.
Freebird134

First Name: Brandon

Postby otcWill » 02 08, 2013 •  [Post 20]

My Kifaru Slickbag 0 deg is awesome! Bombproof and packs to the size of a nalgene bottle!
otcWill

Sleeping bags

Postby pointysticks » 02 08, 2013 •  [Post 21]

otcWill wrote:My Kifaru Slickbag 0 deg is awesome! Bombproof and packs to the size of a nalgene bottle!

I have a 20 bag. No way mine gets nalgene sized.
pointysticks

Postby otcWill » 02 08, 2013 •  [Post 22]

Buy the stuff sack from kifaru. Makes big difference
otcWill

Postby pointysticks » 02 08, 2013 •  [Post 23]

i got it. i use the #2 compression sack. (i think it is the #2)
pointysticks

Postby pointysticks » 02 09, 2013 •  [Post 24]

i just tried it. there is no way.
pointysticks