Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Anyone Try 5 Hour Energy?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Anyone Try 5 Hour Energy?

Postby ElkNut1 » 01 27, 2013 •  [Post 1]

I've considered it before but never have, curious as to others results & when you took it?

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Re: Anyone Try 5 Hour Energy?

Postby Black Wolf » 01 27, 2013 •  [Post 2]

I've personally not felt any boost of energy with it.

Ray :shade:
Black Wolf

First Name: Ray
Last Name: Cook

Postby ORelksniper » 01 27, 2013 •  [Post 3]

I use it when I'm hunting and working. Drink a bottle around 2:00pm and it keeps me alert and going through the late afternoon and evening. It works well for me. I tend not to sleep well so it's a big help late in the day.
ORelksniper

Postby cnelk » 01 27, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Paul,
Why are you needing more energy? For hunting or everyday use?
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby G Posik » 01 27, 2013 •  [Post 5]

I use 5 hr energy when on long drives. Other than that I do not use it.

Glenn
G Posik

First Name: Glenn
Last Name: Posik

Postby ElkNut1 » 01 27, 2013 •  [Post 6]

Brad, when does a guy have too much energy! It's like having too much money! (grin) It's not that I need it, I was curious if it worked for most folks or not? Heck, Black Wolf says he sees not real results, so I was very curious if I should try it or not! Thanks.

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Swede » 01 27, 2013 •  [Post 7]

When a food or drink has a long list of ingredients that I cannot pronounce, I wonder about its safety and the long term health consequences. Is there something available, that is known, which will meet your energy needs? I actually like dried fruits and nuts, with a little chocolate mixed in. :)
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby >>>---WW----> » 01 27, 2013 •  [Post 8]

Aw, what the heck Paul! For a measly $3 bucks, just take a snort and see what happens!!!!!!!!!
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby romey » 01 27, 2013 •  [Post 9]

I have used it quite a bit, there are other products out there thats better but for carrying in your pack it works ok. If you want to become speed buggy drink a Mt Dew on top of it..
romey

First Name: Romey
Last Name: B

Postby Indian Summer » 01 28, 2013 •  [Post 10]

They work. I use them when driving from Pa to Montana or back. It's 34 hours so I need to do two 17 hour days. When I can't hold my eyes open another second I'll get 2 or 3 hours out of one.

Myself and all of my guides and hunting partners keep one in our packs "in case of emergency". If I have just dogged a bull down down downhill late in the day to the point where getting back to the ridge top looks near impossible I'm glad I have one. There are times where I'm so beat up and it's so late in the day that I might choose to back off until tomorrow if I didn't know I had the secret weapon. They'll definitely add some spring to your step when you're running on fumes.

But I don't use it unless I really need to. I wouldn't be making them a part of my regular diet. I may go the entire season and end up with it still in my pack. 0ne thing for sure..... they taste like crap!
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby foxvalley » 01 28, 2013 •  [Post 11]

We use them all the time on the drive out to ID,just like indian summer said he does.If I remember correctly,it's a B vitamin overload,but you don't get jittery,but they taste.... bad.It's better than mtn.dew,or any of the energy drinks on a long drive,cuz you don't have to pee as much.LOL. You want a delicious little treat/energy boost when you are all but spent chasing that bull around the mtns.? 8oz.REDBULL! delicious,carbonated energy booster.

The best thing for mind, body, and spirit,without ingesting anything,is...................a 20min.cat nap. No more no less,trust me,it works.
foxvalley

First Name: doug
Last Name: houghton

Postby >>>---WW----> » 01 28, 2013 •  [Post 12]

Vitamin B overload huh! Seems like I read somewhere that vitamin B would help to repel mosquitoes. I wander if this stuff would work on a summer fishing trip. Anyone tried it for that purpose?
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby ORelksniper » 01 28, 2013 •  [Post 13]

As I mentioned earlier, I use 5 hr energy when I'm hunting. Timber mosquitoes eat me up if I'm not covered.
ORelksniper

Postby ctdad » 01 28, 2013 •  [Post 14]

I've used it a little and I feel a bit of a boost. It is equivalent to drinking a couple of cups of coffee. It is caffeine. The vitamins in it don't give you short term energy. I carry some into the back country so my caffeine addiction (coffee) doesn't give me headaches. Now that I've discovered the starbucks via coffee, I used that instead. I love coffee and only drink it first thing in am.
ctdad

Postby foxvalley » 01 28, 2013 •  [Post 15]

foxvalley

First Name: doug
Last Name: houghton

Postby Vanish » 01 28, 2013 •  [Post 16]

I bought some after packing out the elk last year, but we didn't get a second one, so I didn't get to try it!
Vanish

First Name: Ryan
Last Name: Driskel

Postby HurricaneHuge » 01 28, 2013 •  [Post 17]

I've taken some and felt better, and I've taken one and fallen asleep 20 minutes later. So I'm of no help.
HurricaneHuge

Postby Broken arrow » 01 28, 2013 •  [Post 18]

Like the others. I use it on long drives or when I'm exhausted. Take it and a redbull and you need a parachute to slow you down!!!! :lol:
Been there done that!
Broken arrow

Postby mandrroofing » 01 28, 2013 •  [Post 19]

5 hour worked for me,the it seems like my body got used to it and the not so much
mandrroofing

First Name: Matt

Postby ElkNut1 » 01 28, 2013 •  [Post 20]

Thanks guys! I see it has had some use here, didn't realize it tastes like crap. (grin) Maybe I'll stay with the Wilderness Athlete, at least it taste pretty good! (grin)

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Chukarhunter » 01 29, 2013 •  [Post 21]

Maybe it's just me, but I don't think it tastes that bad. Of course, 5 oz goes down in a hurry, so the taste doesn't last long....
As far as giving me any energy..... May be all in my mind, but it seems to work OK. I'd give it a 6 or 6.5 out of 10.....
Chukarhunter

First Name: Bill

Postby Freebird134 » 02 06, 2013 •  [Post 22]

FYI: 5 Hour Energy and copious amounts of alcohol don't mix well. My band had a gig one night and I was dead tired before we even loaded the trucks. After we got our sound gear set up, I ran down the street to a gas station and downed a 5 Hour Energy. Then spent the next 3 hours downing whatever someone bought me. It was a long ride home after that.... :?
Freebird134

First Name: Brandon

Postby elkmtngear » 02 06, 2013 •  [Post 23]

Freebird,
I drink a "Rockstar" before I gig :D

And I pack one 5 hour energy for every morning on a backpack hunt. Cheap compared to some of the others, and one a day is all I need.
Best of Luck,
Jeff (Elknut Forums Sponsor)
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
the Elk Mountain SLIP System...SLIP it on, SLIP in, and get the SHOT!
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Postby Ridgernr » 02 07, 2013 •  [Post 24]

I use Emrgency packets there are several flavors and it does give me a pickup for the rest of the day
Ridgernr

First Name: Randy

Postby caperoll/Scott » 02 15, 2013 •  [Post 25]

I use them one in the morning before going up the hill and I have a second one in my pack for the heavy hike out after I kill something. Helps with leg cramps in the millde of the night.
Cape Roll / Scott Ward
(208)-329-0329
http://www.caperoll.com
caperoll/Scott
Site Sponsor

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 02 15, 2013 •  [Post 26]

I drink the "SuperMan" for engery(Wilderness Athelete H&R and Wilderness Athelete E&F).

Just my Dos Centos!
JohnFitzgerald

Postby Tensilon » 02 19, 2013 •  [Post 27]

Hi guys,
New to the forum.
I've been through this discussion with friends at work. Most accept it when they think it out a little.
I don't have a bottle of the stuff handy so I can go over the ingredients, but as I recall...
really it's just around 80 mgs of caffiene and then assorted B vitamins and several different amino acid groups such as tyrosine... or others.
Unless you happen to be low on B vitamins and these assorted amino acids they will just go out of your body in your urine. Really the main effect you may be seeing is from the caffiene. The only vitamins that are not water soluble are A,D,E, and K. These can be stored to toxic amounts in your body, because they are the fat soluble vitamins. The other ingredients are just used... if your body happens to be short of them and if not, they will be discarded when you take a whiz.
I find that a cup of joe does just as well for me, if not better, cause it's usually a sumatran blend, LOL.
As an aside, this is also the reason that should you ever be hunting a polar bear, you should not eat the liver as the amount of vitamin A in it will more than likely kill you:)
Regards,
Tens
Tensilon

First Name: Larry