Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Broadhead and vane alignment

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Broadhead and vane alignment

Postby >>>---WW----> » 01 26, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Just wandering what everyone's take is on this.

Personally, I don't think it makes any difference. But when I was a kid, back in the stone age, I was always taught that the broadhead should be horozontal when the arrow is on the bow. This was back before compounds and sites. The reasoning was that for gap shooters that used the tip of the arrow as a sighting referance, the broadhead did not interfear with their sight picture. Other than that, it had no influence on arrow flight.

But here lately I have heard a well known archer and bowhunter clam that on a three blade head, the vanes should be in line with the fletching. Here again, my own personally experience has shown no difference in arrow flight reguardless of broadhead to vane alignment.

This year I have switched to four blade stingers and I'm thinking about going back to four fletch 75x105. There is no way you could ever align these two combinations up anyhow. As a matter of fact, I see no way to align them with three fletch either.

Again, I don't see any advantage either way. Just wandering what the rest of you may think.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Re: Broadhead and vane alignment

Postby Swede » 01 26, 2013 •  [Post 2]

I agree it makes no difference. I too have read, and have had people say it matters. Most people say it doesn't. Based on my observations I see no difference. Since I use a helical fletch, I have a hard time seeing how aligning the broadhead and the fletch, on a spinning arrow traveling 250+ feet / second could do anything. After all, with the arrow spinning, the fletch is not in the same line as the broadhead, when it get to the place the broadhead was 30 inches ago. Too much thinking. Lets go hunting.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby buglmin » 01 26, 2013 •  [Post 3]

It doesnt matter. And many of the top bowhunters agree. The reason for a two bladed head to be horizontal is when you shoot a recurve or longbow, it doent block the target like it would if the head was vertical. The most critical thing that effects consistant broadhead flight is broadhead alignment between the arrow and the head. Thats why the arrow must have a square edge. If the head wobbles when it spins, then it effects arrow flight and causes wind planing.
buglmin

Postby foxvalley » 01 26, 2013 •  [Post 4]

I also agree,I don't think it makes any difference.Shooting traditional,I always ran the broadhead vertical,and used the top blade to help aim.Does it matter,horizontal,vertical,or alliened with the fletch? I think not. An interesting note,however,after using left wing helical fletch forever,I was told that using right wing helical,that your broadhead will always stay tight as the right fletch is always spinning the head on. I'm with swede,lets go hunting.How long till sept????????
foxvalley

First Name: doug
Last Name: houghton

Postby >>>---WW----> » 01 26, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Everyone seems to agree with my way of thinking so far. I agree with the (too much tech stuff). But damn, This cabin fever is getting to me. LOL
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby buglmin » 01 26, 2013 •  [Post 6]

Cabin fever is killing me too...its snowing/raining here, have over two feet still on the ground. I can only shoot indoors, 15 yards, and I get bored. Plus, I'm talking with a bowyer about building me another custom takedown recurve...trying to find the right combo woods for the riser, and the talk is getting to me...all those dang pics of different colored risers makes the wait to damn long.
I'm tired of building arrows, know in another month I'll be building arrows at nights when I get home from work...my shooters bow is still in the box, sight and arrowrest still unopened, with no interest to set it up cause of THE DAMN SNOW!!!
buglmin

Postby cnelk » 01 26, 2013 •  [Post 7]

Agree here too
Of all the things needed to set up an arrow and bow this is prob one that can be forgotten
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby foxvalley » 01 26, 2013 •  [Post 8]

buglmin wrote:Cabin fever is killing me too...its snowing/raining here, have over two feet still on the ground. I can only shoot indoors, 15 yards, and I get bored. Plus, I'm talking with a bowyer about building me another custom takedown recurve...trying to find the right combo woods for the riser, and the talk is getting to me...all those dang pics of different colored risers makes the wait to damn long.
I'm tired of building arrows, know in another month I'll be building arrows at nights when I get home from work...my shooters bow is still in the box, sight and arrowrest still unopened, with no interest to set it up cause of THE DAMN SNOW!!!

Buglmin, Don't be afraid to show some pics of the riser choices,and maybe some of the arrows your making. Some of that exotic wood used in the risers is knock down gorgeous!
foxvalley

Postby buglmin » 01 26, 2013 •  [Post 9]

The problem is I dont like a lot of the brown wood, bocote, zebra wood, dont like the highly figured grainy woods. I'm think honduras rosewood with purple heart accents, it the honduras rosewood isnt to grainy. Purpleheart is straigth grained...I'm have a bow built by Less Stuart, out of Morarty, NM. He builds a bow after the old Rocky Mountain Recurves. After all the problems I'm having with my Widow made of brazillian Rosewood, I'm done with exotic oily woods. My Widow developed cracks in the wood, and the guys from Widow told me it was from the natural oils. I've seen it on tulipwood also.
I'm 47 years old, and this will prolly be my last custom bow. So, i want it special. I figure a few more years of shooting high 50# pound bows before I slowly decrease in bow weight. And when that happens, I'll start using my DAS with W&W carbon/foam limbs again.
buglmin

Postby ctdad » 01 26, 2013 •  [Post 10]

This doesn't matter unless you think it does. The mind is a powerful problem if you let it be one. The same can be said of many archery theories.
ctdad

Postby planebow » 01 26, 2013 •  [Post 11]

I dont think it makes any difference at all. Here is a couple of risers that I built
Attachments
P1000207.jpeg
P1000207.jpeg (70.16 KiB) Viewed 6671 times
P1000025.jpeg
P1000025.jpeg (66.49 KiB) Viewed 6671 times
planebow

First Name: Robert
Last Name: Howard

Postby ElkNut1 » 01 27, 2013 •  [Post 12]

What length are the Recurves? Very nice!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby planebow » 01 27, 2013 •  [Post 13]

I think they were both 62", I donated them to the MBA for raffles at the convention several years ago.
planebow

Postby buglmin » 01 27, 2013 •  [Post 14]

Very nice...is that yew as limb cores? I like yew, think its a lil faster then red elm. The only problem is the clear glass. After my issue with a Shawnee and clear glass and my Widow and clear glass, I'll only have black glass on my bows now.
I've got real small hands, and like a real small throat on the grip, with no palm swell. Thats why my last few recurves have been solid micarta, cause I can get the grips real t
hin without fear of breakage. Remember the old Astro compounds? That is the perfect grip for a recurve. Plus, I like bows that are one of a kind, and Bob and Rob Lee used to make me some beautiful bows, very unique in riser color.
My other problem is I like a dark bow...love black bows. My last two Lee's have been solid black. So Jess is trying to find dark wood for my riser, hopefully he can find some black ebony. That should make for a decent mass weight riser.
I like the fact that you donated the bows. I respect you for that. Its not often guys will do that.
Sorry this thread got hijacked...know we got off the subject. But talking stick bows is fun...
buglmin

Postby foxvalley » 01 27, 2013 •  [Post 15]

Very nice work, Planebow.
I once cut a yew stave, and was going to make a self bow,I ended up giving it to a friend to do. I really enjoy building arrows,the last couple doz.were tapered hardwood(hickory).I thought I could get more penetration with a super heavy arrow/broadhead combo.With a 26" draw pulling 65lbs.,I gained weight,but lost speed,and for my setup it didn't perform as expected. A 30" draw pulling 80lbs. then you would have something. Anyway, I'd show you my bow,by far the nicest looking bow I have,an elburg jaguar longbow,my favorite hunting bow for the last 15 years,but it's wrapped in camo,and is now the ugliest bow I have.
I do however, have some arrows to show off that I made,barbaric cresting and all.I call them barbaric because I can't get the pinstripes less than 1/8 inch.LOL.
Buglmin, I think this thread is permantly HIghjacked.
2013-01-27_12-21-19_161.jpg
2013-01-27_12-21-19_161.jpg (29.74 KiB) Viewed 6649 times
foxvalley

Postby planebow » 01 27, 2013 •  [Post 16]

they both have red elm, the top one is edge grain and the bottom is flat grain, both under clear glass
planebow