Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Elevation training mask

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Elevation training mask

Postby Firemedicbkelly » 01 25, 2013 •  [Post 1]

I happened across an elevation training mask on the net the other day. They are being used by MMA fighters to simulate training at high elevations. Being a flatlander, it's always tough to overcome altitude no matter how good you have trained. Just wondering if anybody has seen or used theses masks and if they were worth giving a try.
Firemedicbkelly

First Name: Blake
Last Name: Kelly

Re: Elevation training mask

Postby Ben Nicholson » 01 27, 2013 •  [Post 2]

They look like voodo to me. I'm a flatlander and never had an issue with altitude. Staying in shape is your best defense. Mixing in some sprinting or hill workouts running help a lot. If you swim, at the end of your set try going the length of the pool underwater. I feel those two things help more than anything for us flatlanders.
Ben Nicholson

Postby Broken arrow » 01 27, 2013 •  [Post 3]

If you want to restrict the amount of air you can buy a snorkel or just close your mouth and only breath through your nose. I think burpees help a lot to trains your muscles to work with less oxygen.
Broken arrow

Postby LNGBOWFLYER » 01 27, 2013 •  [Post 4]

When I was lower enlisted for punishment my Platoon Sergeant would make us do Gas Mask runs!!! Anyone else remember those?

On a serious note. Nothing is going to he able to prepare your body physiologically for how thin the air is. It's something your body has to aclimate to. Good news is almost immediately your body starts to adapt and produce a higher number of red blood cells. While wearing a type of mask will help you get in cardiovascular shape quicker and help you out with being able to perform while gasping for breath. The fact remains that the air your breathing through that mask is still "thick" and your body is physiologically at sea level.

So long story short no. It won't exactly replicate what your body will feel at 10,000 feet.
LNGBOWFLYER

Location: Ellensburg, WA: But currently stationed at FT. Drum, NY
First Name: Aaron
Last Name: Blanchard

Postby ironhead22 » 01 30, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Hey guys new here just thought I'd give my 2cents on this. I'm a huge MMA fan and train a little, there are some mixed thoughts on training masks. There are doctor's saying now they might actually be doing more harm then good, restricting amount of oxygen to your brain and blood. I've heard some say its best thing they have ever tried and some say absolute junk. I know from my experience with them it wasn't an enjoyable thing I would rather be out of breath then feel like I was suffocating completely.
ironhead22

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Thompson

Postby dotman » 01 31, 2013 •  [Post 6]

I just use a mouth guard :)
dotman

Postby ctdad » 02 01, 2013 •  [Post 7]

I find swimming is a good way to simulate exercise and oxygen depravation. I have a love /hate relationship with the pool.
ctdad