Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Mountain Mattresses

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Mountain Mattresses

Postby Haulin'Quarters » 01 23, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Base camp is nice....cot, some foam, blanket ( sleeping bag too hot), pillow, and some wood or propane heat. Sleep like a king.
Back pack camping is not so nice, especially in the mid to late rifle season. Cold, perfectly level ground (yeah right), and some mattresses that just don't provide a good night sleep.

About 6 years ago I finally purchased a Thermarest ProLite which I thought was pretty sweet but still wasn't the greatest barrier between the ground and myself. After hunting season, on a scouting trip the next summer I put a hole in it. After that I start to believe that I will never by an inflatable mattress again, so I purchase the Z Lite thinking I am a rough, tough, cocoa puff and quickly learned I'm not.

The Z Lite is nice to pack with me in the field for a glassing cushion so I don't want to get rid of it. Finally I get wise and say to myself, "why don't you buy another inflatable to put on top of the foam so it doesn't pop, and you would have more cushion at night while sleeping." What about the weight?
What is an extra pound for a good night rest? Priceless.
So my setup is now the Z Lite on the tent floor with a Trail Scout on top of that. Combined weight of 38 0z. and 2 inches of cushion. No more bruised hips and cold nights. HOW DO YOU BEDROLL?
Haulin'Quarters

Mountain Mattresses

Postby slim9300 » 01 23, 2013 •  [Post 2]

You need an Exped SynMat UL7 or BA Q-core SL. Could you imagine having an additional 3.5" or 2.8" of pad on top of your foam pad? (both weigh in at about 17 ounces)
Work hard. Be happy. Annoy a Liberal. :wink:
2012 Bowtech Insanity CPXL (Crackerized!) #61/31" DL (Gold Tip Pro ~ 455 grains @ 290 fps = 86 lbs. KE!)
University of Washington; Foster School of Business Alum
slim9300
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Re: Mountain Mattresses

Postby Indian Summer » 01 24, 2013 •  [Post 3]

I love my sleep. I also have a bad back. Usually I have a cot but last year had to pick up some things for a bivy hunt. I was N0T looking forward to sleeping on the ground. So began my research. First I decided that, within reason, money was no matter. Sleep is priceless right.

I ended up with the ExPed Downmat 9. It has the highest R value of any sleeping pad on the market because it is inflatable but also has down in it. 3.5 inches thick. 36 ounces. 0h my God it was everything I hoped for and more. I don't need a cot anymore!!!

To seal the deal on my decision they offer a pad cover & chair kit. Not only does it protect the mat from any punctures & dirt but it also converts it into a chair. It has a couple struts in the end so you can flip up the backrest portion and crank down the side straps to hold it up. You can also flip the foot portion up to make the chair higher, or leave it down to lounge.

The only problem now is I feel guilty looking at my partners while I'm sitting in the throne eating my Mountain House. The guilt goes away quick though because I'm the first to sleep too. :D
Attachments
dwnmat.jpg
dwnmat.jpg (117.91 KiB) Viewed 5574 times
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Mountain Mattresses

Postby slim9300 » 01 24, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Indian Summer wrote:I love my sleep. I also have a bad back. Usually I have a cot but last year had to pick up some things for a bivy hunt. I was N0T looking forward to sleeping on the ground. So began my research. First I decided that, within reason, money was no matter. Sleep is priceless right.

I ended up with the ExPed Downmat 9. It has the highest R value of any sleeping pad on the market because it is inflatable but also has down in it. 3.5 inches thick. 36 ounces. 0h my God it was everything I hoped for and more. I don't need a cot anymore!!!

To seal the deal on my decision they offer a pad cover & chair kit. Not only does it protect the mat from any punctures & dirt but it also converts the pad into a chair. It has a couple struts in the end so you can flip up the backrest portin and crank down the side straps to hold it up. You can also flip the foot portion up to make the chair higher, or leave it down to lounge.

The only problem now is I feel guilty looking at my partners while I'm sitting in the throne eating my Mountain House. The guilt goes away quick though because I'm the first to sleep too. :D

I have the DownMat 9 DLX too. I don't use it much anymore but there is nothing warmer or more comfortable. It will come out for any cold weather backpacking.
2012 Bowtech Insanity CPXL (Crackerized!) #61/31" DL (Gold Tip Pro ~ 455 grains @ 290 fps = 86 lbs. KE!)
slim9300

Postby pointysticks » 01 24, 2013 •  [Post 5]

i have a NEOair 3/4 length. my wife bought it for me and i havent even taken it out of the package yet. any good?

i have a trout fishing backpacking trip upcoming and i was gonna dig it out. i bet i can return it to REI at this point because it is unopened..what says yee?
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby Haulin'Quarters » 01 25, 2013 •  [Post 6]

pointysticks wrote:i have a NEOair 3/4 length. my wife bought it for me and i havent even taken it out of the package yet. any good?

i have a trout fishing backpacking trip upcoming and i was gonna dig it out. i bet i can return it to REI at this point because it is unopened..what says yee?

I don't think I could do a 3/4 length.....wouldn't want my bag/feet on the ground. JMO
Haulin'Quarters

Postby Haulin'Quarters » 01 25, 2013 •  [Post 7]

slim9300 wrote:You need an Exped SynMat UL7 or BA Q-core SL. Could you imagine having an additional 3.5" or 2.8" of pad on top of your foam pad? (both weigh in at about 17 ounces)

Who makes these? Just wondering on size when put in stuff sack. The set up I use now works quite well and packs accordingly.
Haulin'Quarters

Mountain Mattresses

Postby slim9300 » 01 25, 2013 •  [Post 8]

Haulin'Quarters wrote:
slim9300 wrote:You need an Exped SynMat UL7 or BA Q-core SL. Could you imagine having an additional 3.5" or 2.8" of pad on top of your foam pad? (both weigh in at about 17 ounces)

Who makes these? Just wondering on size when put in stuff sack. The set up I use now works quite well and packs accordingly.

http://m.rei.com/mt/www.rei.com/product/846673/big-agnes-q-core-sl-sleeping-pad

http://m.rei.com/mt/www.rei.com/product/811907/exped-synmat-ul-7-air-pad

They both pack down significantly smaller than your current two pad setup.
slim9300

Mountain Mattresses

Postby slim9300 » 01 25, 2013 •  [Post 9]

The yellow pad on the right is the packed Exped SynMat UL 7.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359159824.849570.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359159824.849570.jpg (8.9 KiB) Viewed 5519 times
slim9300

Postby HighCountryElk » 02 06, 2013 •  [Post 10]

I tried something new this year on my back country hunt and it worked really well for me. I bought the NeoAir Large Torso pad. (mine weighs 14ozs) As a side sleeper the wider pad means I can roll from side to side without having to do the mummy bag shuffle where you roll over and scoot back to stay centered. I found that the most comfortable way to sleep was to inflate the pad full then lay on it on my side and let out air until my shoulder was just off the ground but still supported. I was skeptical of the 3/4 length pad so I took a thermarest foam pad I had laying around and cut off a two foot section of it. By adding this to the end of the pad it kept the foot of the bag off the ground and insulated. The foam also doubled as a camp seat and came in very handy when I needed to change socks mid hunt. The foam even saved a scouting trip when my buddies new boots started giving him hotspots on the back of his heel I made him some heel cups and off we went. Total weight was 18oz.
HighCountryElk

First Name: Skyler
Last Name: Burreson

Postby LNGBOWFLYER » 02 08, 2013 •  [Post 11]

Thanks Slim. I was looking for a good sleep pad. My z-lite just isn't cutting it. I got the Big Agnes and can't wait to use it in 2014. I'm gonna buy their new 15* bag as well. It weighs only 2lbs.
LNGBOWFLYER

Location: Ellensburg, WA: But currently stationed at FT. Drum, NY
First Name: Aaron
Last Name: Blanchard

Postby Freebird134 » 02 08, 2013 •  [Post 12]

Check out the classifieds. I'm trying to sell my NeoAir. It's a great pad, but since I never use it because I'm afraid my 2 dogs are going to pop it. I'm probably going back to the z-lite. If you are interested PM me soon because it's off to eBay in the next day or 2.
Freebird134

First Name: Brandon

Postby LNGBOWFLYER » 02 09, 2013 •  [Post 13]

Sorry I had already made the purchase when I posted that.
LNGBOWFLYER

Mountain Mattresses

Postby slim9300 » 02 09, 2013 •  [Post 14]

LNGBOWFLYER wrote:Thanks Slim. I was looking for a good sleep pad. My z-lite just isn't cutting it. I got the Big Agnes and can't wait to use it in 2014. I'm gonna buy their new 15* bag as well. It weighs only 2lbs.

The Q-Core SL?
slim9300

Postby LNGBOWFLYER » 02 09, 2013 •  [Post 15]

Yep I got the Qcore SL in a petite size since I'm only 5'6" I saved an ounce and some space over the regular.

Here is the sleeping bag I want to buy. It's the Big Agnes Peggy SL

https://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Detail/Bag/peggysl15
LNGBOWFLYER

Postby Freebird134 » 02 09, 2013 •  [Post 16]

Anybody have experience with backpacking mattresses that are puncture proof. I was going to get the Thermarest z-lite, but was wondering if there is a better option I don't know about.

I need something my dogs' nails won't puncture.
Freebird134

First Name: Brandon