Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

ran some new gear through the paces..quick review.

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

ran some new gear through the paces..quick review.

Postby pointysticks » 01 22, 2013 •  [Post 1]

hope this helps some of you looking to purchase.
i just got back from a brutal couse deer hunt in AZ. so tired and both knees are kinda sore. epic mountain climbs to find great vantage points.

here is the new stuff.
Vortex Rangefinder.
i got this thing used, and sent it to vortex for a checkup. here is what i think. it is the clearest rangefinder amongst my hunting buds. one guy has a leica, but he wasnt there, so i couldnt compare. it is bright and clear. on one particular stalk of a couse deer, i used it as a monocular on my approach to scan the shrubs looking for the guy. it was adequate to check his position during my stealthy approach. accuracy seemed on. the LED display was bright. you need to set it on HIGH to see it clearly on a bright day. the belt clip..useless. it isnt tight enough. you store it on you belt with that clip..and you will be shopping for a new rangefinder once you lose this one. it is good if you keep the rangefinder IN the pocket clipped..outside the pocket, it is precariously attached. the lanyard. wish it was adjustable. it is only good to keep the thing around your neck.
Vortex Viper HD 65mm spotting scope.
awesome!! i wont be buying the Razors. these things were clear and crisp. downside? kinda heavy. but who cares? better than walking up close to get a better look. i had no other scope to compare it to on this trip. at uber long distances, the thermal waves fuzz things up anyways..so i assume they all look the same. i could see velvety buttons on this one buck a long way away. i tried digiscoping, but i suck at it so no photos. i love the fine focus button. there is no "sights" on this scope to help you do a quick aim. searching for the deer in the scope, you have to practice. i am going to attach some holograph sight onto the piccatiny rail. soon
Vortex Summit SS tripod.
it was just ok. set up quick and was steady enough. but only at kneeling heights. you get any higher, things get shakey. i bought it quick because my trip was coming, and it dawned on me..i had no tripod!! the tiny ball head is wonky. either too tight, or too loose. "just perfect" was a pipedream. i am still shopping i guess.
First Lite LLANO and CHAMA!! MVP's!!
it got down to 9 degrees in the desert! wearing just these two pieces under my fleece vest and sitka 90% was perfect for the mobile hunter. they stayed stinkfree after 5 days of wearing. i took them off in the evenings to let them air out daily. when i did finally get to my mom's house i washed everything together, pulled the two merino wool things and let them air dry. they dried quick and look good as new!! the brimmed beanie and neck gaiter..same thing. i love them. when things started to warm up i was good with just the Llano and my sitka jacket.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Re: ran some new gear through the paces..quick review.

Postby foxvalley » 01 23, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Thanks Pointy for the update.
Looking forward to using merino stuff this fall!
foxvalley

First Name: doug
Last Name: houghton

Re: ran some new gear through the paces..quick review.

Postby Swede » 01 23, 2013 •  [Post 3]

My experience with the Vortex rangefinder was the same as Pointysticks'. It was without a doubt the best rengefinder in our elk camp. My son wanted me to trade for his new Nikon. What is even better, Elknut sells the Vortex at a great price.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics