Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Are single edged broadheads illegal?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Are single edged broadheads illegal?

Postby buglmin » 01 20, 2013 •  [Post 1]

After a debate on another site, it was called to my attention that many single edged broadheads with the trailing edge sharpened could be illegal in Colorado. the law states, ' Broadheads must have a minimum 7/8" outside cutting diameter or width and minimum two steel cutting edges. Each edge must be in the same plane for the entire length of cutting surface'...So, heads like the Werewolf, Abowyer, or Grizzly if the back trailing egde is sharpened would be illegal.
I talked to the local F&G guy yesterday, showed him some heads with the trailing egde sharpened, and according to the law, they could be considered illegal in Colorado. I know the law was made to make heads like the old Browning Serpent that had spiral blades illegal in Colorado, but by sharpening the back trailing edge of broadheads, you make them illegal cause the cutting edge is not in the same plane for the entire cutting surface.
A lot of single edged broadheads do come with pre sharpened trailing edges, broadheads like the Abowyer, Werewolf. and I know many guys that sharpen the traling edge of their Zwickey, STOS, Magnus...your thought and comments...
buglmin

Re: Are single edged broadheads illegal?

Postby Bartfrncs » 01 20, 2013 •  [Post 2]

forgive my ignorance but why would you want only 1 cutting edge? Elk are really tough I want the best wound chanel I can get.
Bart
Bartfrncs

First Name: Bart
Last Name: Frncs

Postby foxvalley » 01 21, 2013 •  [Post 3]

Yes, I'm also a little confused. Lets take a zwickey eskimo 2 blade for example.Is this what you mean by single edge? This really should be considered a double edge.You have a min. of 2 (forward)cutting edges in the same plane.By sharpening the trailing edges,they really can't be considered a cutting edge,as it is secondary in it's use,and cuts nothing in the event of a pass thru. It would make no sense to make this illegal,as you actually make the head more effective in the event of the arrow being pulled back out,or moving back and forth in the chest cavity.
The magnus stinger come from the factory with the trailing edges sharp on both the main blades, and the bleeders,and I am a big fan of this head,and sharpen all trailing edges on my traditional broadheads when using a head other than the stingers.
There is no merit whatsoever to make this (illegal)
foxvalley

First Name: doug
Last Name: houghton

Postby buglmin » 01 21, 2013 •  [Post 4]

If you read the law, it states that all cutting edges must be in the same plane. So, on heads like the Werewolf or the Abowyer that come with a sharpened trailing edge, they aint in the same plane. A head with a bleeder blade is considered a four bladed head.
The trailing edge is the back part of the broadhead, were the blades attach to the ferrel. And the Magnus heads I have dont have the trailing edge sharpened. Some of the new No Mrcy Zwickeys do, but they are single edge broadheads, like the Abowyer. The trailing edge is sharpened so the broadheads cuts as it comes out, or as it moves inside the animal.
According to the F&G officer I talked to, he stated that it depends on how the law is interpetted. So maybe it does have merit...
buglmin

Postby ElkNut1 » 01 21, 2013 •  [Post 5]

A single bevel head is sharpened on one side of the blade although there are two blades, swickey is a two bladed head without bleeders but is sharpened on both sides like a knife would be to get sharp. A single bevel head is ONLY sharpened on the one side of each of the two blades to create a corkscrew effect as it enters the animal.

Look at this link, there's a single bevel head there! http://search.yahoo.com/search?ei=UTF-8 ... +broadhead

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby foxvalley » 01 21, 2013 •  [Post 6]

Ok, single" bevel" I understand, I have seen grizzlys with the single bevel.What I don't get is what difference it would make sharpening the trailing edge on a single or double beveled blade. I still believe,not being familiar with other states laws,is that this is in effect for the corkscew type heads that came out many moons ago.If there is a perfomance issue(flight)etc. other than cutting backwards, created by sharpening the trailing edge,then it would have merit. Sharpening the trailing edge could make the difference on any broadhead where the arrow is pulled out backwards or stuck in the chest cavity maybe cutting that one artery that makes the difference.
Using Zwicky 2 bladed broadheads with my traditional equipment,most of the time the arrow remained inside the chest cavity,and being only 2 blades,with trailing edges sharpened, allowed the broadhead to slice and dice that has to be seen to believed. The downside to the 2 blade is a marginal blood trail at best.
Buglmin,The magnus "stinger" are the heads with the trailing main,and bleeder blades sharpened. 4 blade,114 reviews,4.7 rating at cabelas They also have a lifetime warrantee on the ferrel,bend it,sent it back for a new one.
foxvalley

Postby >>>---WW----> » 01 21, 2013 •  [Post 7]

I think you guys may be getting just a little too technical about this. In reality, the back, or trailing edge, is on the same plain as the as the the rest of the head. The word (plain) in the law means the flat or level surface and not spirled.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby foxvalley » 01 21, 2013 •  [Post 8]

>>>---WW----> wrote:I think you guys may be getting just a little too technical about this. In reality, the back, or trailing edge, is on the same plain as the as the the rest of the head. The word (plain) in the law means the flat or level surface and not spirled.

Amen.Same plane,different tangent. In other words,perfectly legal.
foxvalley

Postby tracker12 » 01 22, 2013 •  [Post 9]

>>>---WW----> wrote:I think you guys may be getting just a little too technical about this. In reality, the back, or trailing edge, is on the same plain as the as the the rest of the head. The word (plain) in the law means the flat or level surface and not spirled.

I think this is the right answer.
tracker12

Postby buglmin » 01 22, 2013 •  [Post 10]

No, its not in the same plane as the leading cutting edge. The trailing edge intersects the main edge of the broadhead. Think about it. Once the back part of the broadhead is sharpened, you hace created a new cutting edge. And it isnt in the same plane. Thats why I had a conversation with a DOW officer about it.
I know about the Magnus Stingers, shot them and played with them for over seven years. And even the new ones I got last fall dont have the trailing edge sharpened.
buglmin

Postby FemoralArchery » 01 22, 2013 •  [Post 11]

They are on the same plane.

How would you explain a curved edge broadhead, like the Solid Broadhead, the blade is flat, but the cutting edge is curved. The entire edge is on the same plane. Just he same as a single bevel broadhead with the trailing edge sharpened. All cutting surfaces are on the same plane.

By using your logic, either side of the leading edge of the broadhead would be on different planes, because they are different cutting surfaces.
FemoralArchery

First Name: Adam

Postby FemoralArchery » 01 22, 2013 •  [Post 12]

Consider a plane as a piece of paper. You can cut out any shape from the paper. As long as the paper remains flat, the shape is in the same plane. As soon as you roll or fold the paper, the shape no longer remains in one plane. You can have a triangle, a circle, a square, a rectangle, a trapezoid or any other 2 dimensional shape and it will still remain in the same plane. Even though all edges of said shape aren't in line with each other, they are in the same plane.

You are correct that sharpening the trailing edge is a new cutting surface, but you did not create a new plane.

The two leading edges of the broadhead intersect each other, creating a point. Yes, they are different cutting edges, but they are on the same plane.

I would challenge you to argue your point with a freshman in high school that just finished geometry class.
FemoralArchery

Postby foxvalley » 01 22, 2013 •  [Post 13]

Buglmin, I know what you are saying, the two cuting edges,the leading edge,and the trailing edge,now sharpened, are at two different angles from each other,but are in the same plane.

Dude, I don't know what to tell you about the magnus heads you got,but they don't sound like stingers.Magnus makes a lot of different heads,But the magnus stinger 4 blade has the trailing edge sharpened,and also the bleeder. See for yourself.
magcomp.jpg
magcomp.jpg (8.47 KiB) Viewed 10235 times
mag2comp.jpg
mag2comp.jpg (7.75 KiB) Viewed 10235 times
foxvalley

Postby FemoralArchery » 01 23, 2013 •  [Post 14]

What happened to this thread? I was hoping for some more geometry talk.

I would also like to know what other forum this was discussed on.
FemoralArchery

Postby Vanish » 01 24, 2013 •  [Post 15]

I'm not sure I need to say anything, but WW is right. Both leading and trailing edges are in the same plane whether sharpened or not. Nothing illegal about a sharpened trailing edge.

The ironic thing about the law, the way it is worded, is that it would be perfectly legal to not have the LEADING edges sharpened, as long as the trailing edges are sharpened. :o
Vanish

First Name: Ryan
Last Name: Driskel