Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Raincoats etc

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Raincoats etc

Postby Jhg » 05 13, 2023 •  [Post 1]

I have a love/hate relationship with rain gear. I have a Grundens that I got a long rime ago in Maine for coastal sailing. You can pretty much survive the apocalypse wearing it. Heavy, but nuclear proof. Not hunt sensible in any way.
Then I have my light weight "packable rain jacket. Not gore-tex. It has pit zips etc to manage condensation.

What are you using as your packable rain gear? Poncho? All ears on what worked for you.
Jhg

Re: Raincoats etc

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 05 13, 2023 •  [Post 2]

First rain gear/top for me was a large black plastic sack with holes cut out for arms and head back in my wonderful youthful days in Montana; did the job to a degree. Second iteration was my Army Gore-Tex top and bottom, performed admirably to keep the rain out, but… you sweat like a xxxxx in church, a trade off I guess. Point of light, Gore-Tex eventually breaks down. Most recent/current set is made by KUIU, its top shelf quality, weighs nothing (big with me as I almost always carry a set in my pack cuz you never know). Again, this set keeps the rain out 100% but the trade off is you will be steamed like a lobster in a sauna when wearing it :D

https://www.kuiu.com/products/northridg ... 8340581534
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby wawhitey » 05 13, 2023 •  [Post 3]

I just stay out of the woods when it rains :D
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby Swede » 05 14, 2023 •  [Post 4]

It really depends on how much time you can reasonably expect to be out in the rain. If it is only short periods and fairly rare, then the garbage sack RJ describes is enough. If you are planning to live in yours, then get the best. I have used one set of Cabela's for over 25 years and they work fine. My situation is that I use them just occasionally.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Lefty » 05 15, 2023 •  [Post 5]

I never have found raingear I could work or hunt in.
For me I did like breathable stuff and remove, rep[lace as I got wet. Washington is where I started using wool again! I have saddle cloth and kings top raingear,,, Just not practical

wawhitey wrote:I just stay out of the woods when it rains :D

After we moved from SE Washington 27 years ago , I don't work or hunt in the rain.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby 7mmfan » 05 16, 2023 •  [Post 6]

I have tried the Kuiu, and now have the First Lite stuff. As said, it's light, and it keeps the rain off but you sweat when active. My best workaround when wearing the stuff, if I know I'm going to be truly active while wearing it, is to wear ONLY it. Maybe just a base layer on my body if its cold, but sometimes not even that. It helps a lot. You still sweat, but not as much, as the gear seems to wick it well. The bonus is that when I get where I'm going, and I'm going to slow down, my clothes are dry and ready to put on.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan