Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Hunting Belts...

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Hunting Belts...

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 04 25, 2023 •  [Post 1]

No Joe (Indian Summer) I'm not talking about those bourbon kind of belts, although they have their place in the grand scheme of things at hunting camps IMO ;). I'm referring to what kind of belt do you wear to keep your hunting britches from falling off. I'm kind of embarrassed to say, that the lightbulb didn't go on for me for many, many years. Big old fat leather belts are "not" the way to fly. With a heavy pack on your back or even a 14-pound day pack, that big old leather belt will dig into your hip bones like a poorly placed chunk of pumice stone. If you haven't discovered what the long trail hikers use (PCT or Applanation Trail, pick your poison) to hike for ridiculous miles and be as comfortable as one can be, hiking ridiculous miles :D . .. get yourself a soft stretchy belt with a low profile clasp that will make a huge difference in your hiking/packing mood and pain free ingress/outgress. I use the belts from this company, and they perform very well... Have any of you wild bohemians had this epiphany? https://arcadebelts.com/?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=**LP%20-%20TM%20-%20General&utm_content=Arcade%20Belt&utm_source=microsoft&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=530465702&utm_term=kwd-84594941228261:loc-4132&utm_content=o&msclkid=e2d476a6a26e1f6b6d4212ee00624b54
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Hunting Belts...

Postby 7mmfan » 04 26, 2023 •  [Post 2]

I wear suspenders. Once I started, I never looked back.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby Swede » 04 26, 2023 •  [Post 3]

I wear a leather belt that my father made about 40 years ago. It fits well and I have never had an issue with it.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 04 26, 2023 •  [Post 4]

7mmfan wrote:I wear suspenders. Once I started, I never looked back.

Yep, also use a couple of types of suspenders (First Lite and Sitka, as appropriate for the pants I'm wearing during the early season). I prefer a low-profile belt over the suspenders on some later in the year hunts where I have multiple top layers on. Why? Because it makes dropping trou in the boonies a bit more complicated, having to strip off several layers just to get to the suspenders. All that great camp chow can sometimes have an immediate and explosive effect on the trail that requires a quick and smooth drop of the drawers. :lol:
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby 7mmfan » 04 27, 2023 •  [Post 5]

WapitiTalk1 wrote:
7mmfan wrote:I wear suspenders. Once I started, I never looked back.

Yep, also use a couple of types of suspenders (First Lite and Sitka, as appropriate for the pants I'm wearing during the early season). I prefer a low-profile belt over the suspenders on some later in the year hunts where I have multiple top layers on. Why? Because it makes dropping trou in the boonies a bit more complicated, having to strip off several layers just to get to the suspenders. All that great camp chow can sometimes have an immediate and explosive effect on the trail that requires a quick and smooth drop of the drawers. :lol:

That's a fact Jack. I have narrowly escaped shame a couple of times now on cold days when my suspenders are buried under layers of insulation.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby >>>---WW----> » 04 27, 2023 •  [Post 6]

Leather belts are OK. They are also handy if you find a need to strop your knife. Years ago I used to wear a braded nylon belt from K Mart. It was a good substitute for paracord in a pinch. I did the suspender thing a few times. I liked them as well.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Lefty » 05 10, 2023 •  [Post 7]

Ive gone to webbed belt,

Leather has that wonderful smell that just doesn't belong on me in the elk woods.
I have two leather belts that I made, as my belly got bigger they started to dig,, and are too short. I have a handmade belt with beading, my Dress pant belt
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H