Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Maps????

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Maps????

Postby Broken arrow » 01 11, 2013 •  [Post 1]

What scale would you recommend? I am hoping to just purchase one map for my area but depending on scale I would need to get up to 3 to cover all the areas I want to hunt. I have GPS just wanting a map to have it for back up in case it fails.
Thanks
Jason
Broken arrow

Maps????

Postby Bryannstacey » 01 11, 2013 •  [Post 2]

For Topo you need 1/24000
Bryannstacey

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: Eastep

Re: Maps????

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 01 11, 2013 •  [Post 3]

+1 on the 1/24k

Also, I order all my custom maps from http://www.mytopo.com/
JohnFitzgerald

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 01 11, 2013 •  [Post 4]

X2 on the 1/24,000 (7.5 minute quad maps). Besides the quad/topo map, a FS Ranger District map covering the area you hunt is valuable as well for many reasons.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Swede » 01 11, 2013 •  [Post 5]

I prefer the 1" per mile contour maps. One is enough for most Ranger Districts. The last District I worked on had an east half and a West half. The 1:24000 maps always seem to get cut off right in the middle of "my area" of interest. Sometimes it takes 2 or 3 maps to cover everything. They become too bulky for my taste. Even with my tired old eyes I can see enough detail to meet my needs with a 1"/ mile contour map.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Haulin'Quarters » 01 11, 2013 •  [Post 6]

+3 on the 1/24000. I also like the mapping programs for your computer from National Geo., Topo USA, and others. I can print out smaller pages then laminate, fits much better in a pack. Not to mention being able to constantly look at my areas from home all the time, or get an idea for others.
Haulin'Quarters

Postby Swede » 01 11, 2013 •  [Post 7]

I believe the 1:24000 and the 1 inch maps have the exact same details. The 1:24000 is easier to write notes on and can be better for pinpointing the location of objects, but that depends on how good you are as a map reader. When I work with a 1 inch map I place a dot and number on different map locations and supplement the information by writing on a separate piece of paper.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby ElkNut1 » 01 12, 2013 •  [Post 8]

Jason, I too prefer 1-24000 USGS 7.5 min.Topo Maps. I then set my GPS to read the coordinates on the margins of the USGS map. I do not care for longitude/latitude setting. This way I can turn my GPS on where ever I am & coordinate the exact spot I'm standing on the map. This can help in foggy weather or heavy snows where you just can't see out or heavily timbered areas where landmarks cannot be seen. It also helps with the best possible routes to navigate the country. On the maps I mark lots of spots with bedding, feeding, wallows, waterholes, kill sites, truck, camp, etc. right on the map itself.

It's common to purchase 3-4 maps per area so you have it covered well. Once I get maps I fold them in a 6"X6" square then open them up & turn them upside down where only white is showing & tape all 6 seams with 2" clear packing tape. I can now fold & refold maps & they never tear, they will last for many years of use.

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Broken arrow » 01 12, 2013 •  [Post 9]

Thanks everyone sounds like I'll go with 1,24000. Last time I was there I just took the page out of the road atlas for my map! Lol
Broken arrow

Postby Indian Summer » 01 12, 2013 •  [Post 10]

Your map is WAY more than a back up for a failed GPS. To me every topo map is a treasure map. Like a picture worth a thousand words and even more footsteps. The more you stare at them and pay attention to details the clearer the picture.

My Garmin Montana isn't nearly detailed enough for "map scouting". Not even close. It's just for navigating and if you compare it to a topo you can easily see how much is missing. More than once I have put an X on a map where I've never been and then killed a bull right on the X. I look at maps every night after hunting, and all winter for that matter, and recall what happened where that day and more importantly where we saw or heard elk. Those encounters are all like a piece of the puzzle. 0nce you have enough pieces life gets alot easier for sure.

If you're not utilizing detailed USGS maps to hunt in the mountains you are truly missing the boat. If it takes 2 or 3 maps to encompass your area so be it or you could have a custom map made to suit your needs. If you do that look for waterproof or do like Paul does and tape the seams & folds. I keep mine in a gallon zip lock as well.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby ElkNut1 » 01 13, 2013 •  [Post 11]

Joe, I put my maps in a Ziploc bag as well. Works very well. (grin)

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Heartwood » 01 15, 2013 •  [Post 12]

I prefer the 1:24000 scale also and really like the seamless map like nat geographic. I have numerous copies of different parts of the areas we hunt. Just pick the proper map for the day or multiple day trip and roll it up to fit the long skinny pocket on the pack. Waterproof paper is also great. The country we hunt tends to be open enough that we don't seem to use the gps much but it sure is nice in the dark or when trying to pinpoint a spot we've never been to.
The screen on the gps just isn't big enough to replace a map and I'm glad because I love my maps.
Heartwood

First Name: Matt
Last Name: Houle