Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Heated Vests

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Heated Vests

Postby Swede » 01 13, 2023 •  [Post 1]

I ordered an E Wool heated vest for tree stand hunting today. I am looking forward to trying it out. I will post my impression of it as soon as I can give it a good test drive. I had some questions and found the Canadians to be very helpful.
What I wanted to know amounted to, can I wear the vest while charging the batteries. I know I can wear it while plugged into a power point. I thought it might work if I took my 12V deep cycle battery to the tree, hooked up a 12V inverter and took an extension cord up the tree. I was told not to do that. The sales rep said go from the 12V battery through their accessory made for that purpose, then go straight to the vest and leave out the batteries. That sounds easy enough.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Heated Vests

Postby wawhitey » 01 13, 2023 •  [Post 2]

Never even thought oc going that far with it, the external battery thing. I like it.
Just got a heated vest for christmas. Havent tried it out yet. Right after christmas the temperature went from like -20 to +30.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby Swede » 01 13, 2023 •  [Post 3]

Whitey: If you have a large enough capacity (200W) inverter, I think you could get an average heating pad and an extension cord and head up your tree with that to stay warm.
Swede

Postby Tigger » 01 16, 2023 •  [Post 4]

I gave my wife an Ororo heated vest for Christmas this year. She hasnt had a chance to wear it though.

Why do I have a mental picture of Swede in a tree with one jumper cable lead attached to his ear and the other to his toe hoping to stay warm?
Tigger

Postby Swede » 01 16, 2023 •  [Post 5]

Why hasn't your wife tried out her Ororo yet? Isn't it cold enough? Is the vest a puffer?
Swede

Postby Tigger » 01 16, 2023 •  [Post 6]

Yes a puffy.

i don't know why. She hasnt really done any outdoor related stuff lately. Been busy with school board stuff. i will have to bug her about it.
Tigger

Postby Swede » 01 16, 2023 •  [Post 7]

Probably the puffer is best for your wife. They should hold in heat well. I decided to not get one for my tree stand hunting. I did not have a lot to go on, but a friend said he likes his Orono for duck hunting but did not recommend one for a tree stand. I know I do not like to be too bulky when shooting my bow.
Swede

Postby Swede » 01 18, 2023 •  [Post 8]

I think I have something with this new vest that is going to make staying in my stand for long periods very pleasant. The ewool vest is warm and far less bulky than a sweatshirt. For years I have said I would prefer to be a little cold than to bulk up and not be able to shoot well when a critter needs to get shot. With the heated vest that is a false choice. The ewool stays heated a long time and covers more area, including my lumbar region, than other vests.
Swede