Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Crispi Idaho II boot review

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Crispi Idaho II boot review

Postby Jhg » 01 03, 2023 •  [Post 1]

41FC0842-04BB-4519-B623-67C6ECA32A59.jpeg
41FC0842-04BB-4519-B623-67C6ECA32A59.jpeg (68.63 KiB) Viewed 597 times

I have been hunting/scouting two years in Crispi Idaho II boots. I weight 2-oh-5 stepping out of the shower. I have not used these boots for anything else like work or grocery shopping (unless I was carrying my bow and an elk tag).
I have followed the manufacturers guidance on care using only Crispi recommended products.

Weight:
Very lightweight.

Waterproofness:
Creeks, wet grass, snow, slush, rain. Never a leak.

Breathability:
These are GoreTex boots so its not like you are wearing sandals. However, against any other boot that's also got a waterproof membrane these breath as well as, or better than, any I have used.

Support under load and steep terrain:
Excellent support. I packed out a big bull elk 2m one way, 4 trips ~80lbs or better. No issues. The boots were at their limit though. There is good stability on steeps- side hilling, climbing, descending.

Durability:
Not good. This is my only complaint for an otherwise excellent hunting boot. I am losing stitching and one rand is delaminating at the toe.

Summery: I can't recommend these boots due to their apparent lack of durability. A boot in this price range should give service until the sole wears out at least. As it stands the upper will fail before the sole will. Not good.
Jhg

Re: Crispi Idaho II boot review

Postby 7mmfan » 01 03, 2023 •  [Post 2]

Thanks for the thorough review. Your notes on durability have been the biggest reason I have not purchased any Crispi boots. Several people I know that use boots as they are intended to be used have said the same things. I am in the market for a nice lightweight hiker for this upcoming season, was considering Crispi, but may need to think again.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby wawhitey » 01 03, 2023 •  [Post 3]

Ive never tried crispi, but ive been through a lot of different boots, and the most comfortable and most durable for me have been Lowas. My winter hunting boots, which i put a lot of miles on predator hunting, are the lowa tibet superwarms. "Superwarm" is kind of misleading as i believe theyre only 400g boots, so not a treestand kind of boot, but plenty warm for winter predator hunting where youre doing a lot of hiking. Been abusing them for 6 seasons now, never doing any maintenance or treating or anything, still good as new. The rest of the year im in Lowa ranger gtx. Same deal, fantastic boots, hold up year after year, and these easily get double the milage of my winter boots, as days are longer and i can cover ground at least twice as fast, conservatively, when theres not snow on the ground.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby Tigger » 01 04, 2023 •  [Post 4]

Great review.

I am a Schnees guy. I have 3 pairs. One has 15 seasons on them and is in pretty tough shape. But they have many, many tough miles on them and are ohhhh, soooo comfy. Still good for dry days, but the waterproof days ended a year or so ago.

One is 8 seasons old and is in the middle of its lifespan. No complaints, it has seen a lot of use as well. still waterproof.

One is on its first season. I love wearing them.

Bought both of my boys a pair this year for Christmas. Before you roll your eyes that I bought my 14 year old boys a pair of expensive boots, just know that they are now my size.....genius!
Tigger

Postby Indian Summer » 01 07, 2023 •  [Post 5]

Thanks! Good to know because I’m in the market for boots. I live my old Kenetreks but the price has gone way up and reliable sources tell me they don’t make them like they used to. So I was considering Crispi Wild Rock GTX. They are a heavier boot so I have to wonder if the quality or durability is better. Anyone have experience with those???
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Jhg » 01 07, 2023 •  [Post 6]

I was looking at the Wildrock as well, but went straight to Kenetrek because of the stitching failure on my Idaho II. Not dropping that much just to get two or three yrs out of my boots. I will say I like how the Crispi boots perform.
I now have two pair for me of the Kentrek mtn xtremes (NI & 400gram) and a pair for my wife. They have sales.
If Kenetrek quality is down compared to in the past they are still by far the best quality boot I have seen in quite some time. Break in takes awhile and they will feel way diff than your well worn in old pair but I would stay with them if I were you. I have a feeling you will regret the Crispis after time given how you hunt.
Jhg