Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Sitka Stratus Hat Review

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Sitka Stratus Hat Review

Postby Tigger » 12 28, 2022 •  [Post 1]

Pros: I cannot keep this hat off my head. Part of it is the fit. It fits sooooo goood. But it has all of the things I love in a hat. It comes down low over the ears. The material over the ears lets you hear easier than most hats. It doesn't move around when you wear it. It is warm, but not too warm (Yes, a hat can be too warm). It is quiet. I have it in camo and blaze orange.

Cons: really the only con is the price. You need to find it on sale. A big sale. It has taken me years to accomplish that, but I am grateful that I kept after it.
Tigger

Re: Sitka Stratus Hat Review

Postby Swede » 12 28, 2022 •  [Post 2]

Your hat reminds me what an old logger told me many years ago about black wool Longjohns. He said: "I do not care how wet and cold you are; when you are wearing black wool underwear, you are always warm and dry." I will add and you itch like crazy. :D
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby wawhitey » 12 28, 2022 •  [Post 3]

Swede wrote:Your hat reminds me what an old logger told me many years ago about black wool Longjohns. He said: "I do not care how wet and cold you are; when you are wearing black wool underwear, you are always warm and dry." I will add and you itch like crazy. :D

Many years ago the itching thing might have been true. Nowadays its all about merino wool. All the benefits of wool, without the itch. Feels like cotton. I still wear standard wool outerlayers, as it seems more durable, but next to skin stuff, merino layers. That being said ive found lots of merino wool options that arent "hunting brands" that are just as good if not better, and often times cheaper, than the fancy hunting stuff. No you cant get them in the latest greatest camo pattern, but i dont think my underwear not being camo has ever cost me a shot at a game animal.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby Swede » 12 28, 2022 •  [Post 4]

I have found Marino wool mid layer stuff at a great price. Some I get like new pieces at Good Will for not much at all. It does not hold up as well as the old black wool underwear, but it is fine as a mid-layer or sweater.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics