Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Hammoks

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Hammoks

Postby >>>---WW----> » 01 07, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Been thinking alot about hammok bivy type hunting, Been doing quite a bit of studying up on the idea and I think I'm getting just a little bit hooked on the idea. So before I make any drastic decisions, have any of you on here had any experience with hammoks?
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Re: Hammoks

Postby cnelk » 01 07, 2013 •  [Post 2]

I think the cold air from the underside could make for a restless night... ;)
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby mandrroofing » 01 07, 2013 •  [Post 3]

http://www.hilleberg.com/home/products/akto/akto.php this what I have my hart set on. Top of the line and lite...
mandrroofing

First Name: Matt

Postby Harmy » 01 07, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Your link to Hillberg is not a hammok??? It looks like you are looking for a one person tent. If so, I would recommend you take a look at Black Diamond. Their products are top of the line. http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en ... n/shelters

I have and use the following:

Hooped Bivy. 4 season bivy sack. I used mine elk hunting a few years ago and slept in 12" of snow. Never got wet. Have used it climbing in the Wind Rivers several times. Was caught in several rain storms. Never got wet. But I hate bivy sacks as you can't get your gear into one.

Ahwahnee Tent. 4 season 2 person. Best tent I have ever had. I have more than 100 nights in this tent. Have been in many storms with this tent. Never been wet. It is my recommendation above all others.

Bombshelter. 4 season 4 person. Hardly ever used this but when there are 3 or 4 of us to share the weight it is what I would use. Only have a handfull of nights in this and all in good weather. Its name is for a reason.

Mesa. Mostly use this for car camping with the kids when weather is good.

While I highly recommend these tents as they are high quality, light weight, and less expensive than some brands you have to take my words with a grain of salt. I was the Quality Manager at Black Diamond from 1992 - 2000... I am quite partial to that brand. Chris
Harmy

First Name: Chris

Postby Harmy » 01 07, 2013 •  [Post 5]

My last post was more to Mandroofing not WW. Sorry. As for Hammoks, as stated I do not like them much. I had one in my back yard once. A really nice one too. Could hold two people even. I relaxed in it a bunch but could not really sleep in one. I napped one time and woke up with a major back ache. It was cold and uncomfortable But I know people who can sleep in them. The best thing about my hammok was that it sold my house. When I got the offer the only thing they wanted was the Hammok. I told them it was not for sale as it was a fathers day gift. They actually increased their offer by $500 and thus kept it. I was glad to get rid of it that way...
Harmy

Postby Miller1 » 01 07, 2013 •  [Post 6]

Here is a video of kind of a nutball but he is camping in cold winter weather using one and tells what he uses,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XsU-qCn ... ata_player
Miller1

First Name: Rick
Last Name: Miller

Postby >>>---WW----> » 01 07, 2013 •  [Post 7]

Exactly Miller 1. That is the same guy that has got me interested in hammock camping. In one of his videos, he spent the entire nite at -17 below in a hammock and his bag was only rated at +20. He said he was plenty toasty all nite long. (But I bet it was a bugger to crawl out of the next morning). His total pack weight was only 16# minus food & water for about 3-5 days. I think he said 23-25# with food & water.

On another video, a guy from Alaska shows how to make one from a bed sheet. I suppose that might be a way to see if they work for you or not.
>>>---WW---->

Postby cnelk » 01 07, 2013 •  [Post 8]

WW
I think now in January would be a great time for you to give it a 'field test'
Let us know how it works, it just may be the ticket!
cnelk

Postby >>>---WW----> » 01 08, 2013 •  [Post 9]

I hurt my knee Brad. Would you come and try it out for me?
>>>---WW---->

Postby cnelk » 01 08, 2013 •  [Post 10]

>>>---WW----> wrote:I hurt my knee Brad. Would you come and try it out for me?

my hand still hurts - any younger gents want to try it?
cnelk

Postby pointysticks » 01 09, 2013 •  [Post 11]

i tried one. went camping with a bunch of rock climbers. they stuck all this hardware into the cracks and strung up a nice hammock. it was fully enclosed. i tried. even a short nap. the gentle curvature killed my back. the owner climbed in it for the night. it started to sprinkle and he abandoned ship and climbed into a tent.. apparently, his isnt that watertight?
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby Harmy » 01 09, 2013 •  [Post 12]

Rock climbers are crazy. I should know.
Harmy

Postby Moose Man » 01 09, 2013 •  [Post 13]

Hello. This will be my first post but definitely not my last, amazing forum. Hands down the best hunting forum I've ever seen, truly amazing. I've never hunted elk (from sweden) but I'm hoping this will be my first year. Anyway, let my try to contribute a bit too..

I think there is a time/place for hammocks. I'm not saying they are for everyone/everytime but the times I've used my hennessey hammock, I've enjoyed it. Likes:
- As long as you have trees, you can sleep (inclines/declines, rocky ground, even a swamp isnt a problem)
- Airy/elevated (pro but also a con, see below). I hunt southern california mountains (hills) and I enjoy the breeze
- Lightweight/compact - if no rain in the forecast (not unusual here) I skip the rainfly which makes it even lighter
- Fast to setup/take down. With some mods, it can be rigged pretty fast, same goes for packing it.
- No need for a sleeping pad, less gear to carry (if warm temperatures)
- I find it super comfortable but as said, each person is different

Not so likes:
- Cold. Cant even compare to a tent/bivvy sack given the air flow underneath and how the hammock wraps around and compresses the sleeping bag.
- No place to store gear (yes, you can park stuff underneath the raintarp but it's still semi-open air. And while I can leave camp gear in the hammock during the day, somehow feels less "secure" than a tent (might not be a problem in remote parts of Wyoming but southern california is a bit different..)
- When using a pad, i've had a bit of condensation trapped between pad/bag given it "wraps around" your body more than sleeping on flat ground
- You're sleeping solo, no shared heat. Cant bring a lady either..

I think that sums up my quick thoughts. Finally, if you take the step, there are tons of mod videos/tips on youtube. The best/most basic one is using 4 rappel rings to tighten it to a tree (vs tying a knot).

/MM
Moose Man

First Name: Erik

Postby >>>---WW----> » 01 10, 2013 •  [Post 14]

Thanks for your input Moose Man and wELKome to the site. Sounds like you've had a little experience with hammocks. That's what I was looking for. Hope to see you on here more often, as this is a very good elk hunting site.
>>>---WW---->