Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Best yard sale buys.

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Best yard sale buys.

Postby Lefty » 09 04, 2022 •  [Post 1]

WaWhitey got me thinking about sales,,,,, Swedes not here to fill the page. But what have been some of your best newspaper, auction, exwife, eBay, and Craigslist clearance sale purchases
Long ago a fellow had a boat motor with a tilt trailer with a 40-year-old like new 6 HP Evinrude on the back. I had just hooked the boat up and a fellow pulled up and wanted the motor only, . So I got the boat and trailer for free.

Long ago too1990. Bought a guide out. Literally my pickup full of decoys and gear. A box of duck calls, hunting jackets, over 100 goose decoys, a couple of hundred duck decoys. Gave a lot of stuff away to new hunters, and resold some of the decoys I wouldn't use for 20 times what I paid.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: Best yard sale buys.

Postby >>>---WW----> » 09 06, 2022 •  [Post 2]

I mentioned the 8x32 Burris Binos on another post. Great little glass for $5 bucks. Also a few years ago my wife found a commercial meat tenderizer for $5. They sold it because someone had cut the plug off of the power cord. Put a new plug on and it works like a champ.

But probably the best deal was a Howard Miller grandfather clock we got for $40. Looked it up on ebay and they are going for $2500.
>>>---WW---->

Postby Billy Goat » 09 07, 2022 •  [Post 3]

I picked up a Cabelas Alaknak Series tent for $50 from a neighbors garage sale. It's a dome tent, not wall, and doesnt have an exhaust flue, but still a heckuva tent for $fiddy

it's going bowhunting in a week with some of my friends.
"First teach a child to love God,
teach them second to love their family
and third, teach them to hunt and fish,
and by the time they reach their teens, no dope peddler under the sun will ever teach them anything".

-Cotton Cordell
Billy Goat

Postby 7mmfan » 09 07, 2022 •  [Post 4]

I never have enough cash on hand to capitalize on garage sale/estate sale finds. I need to make it a priority.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby Lefty » 09 10, 2022 •  [Post 5]

7mmfan wrote:I never have enough cash on hand to capitalize on garage sale/estate sale finds. I need to make it a priority.

I was raised, "make hay when the sun shines" and as a Boy Scoutmaster "Be prepared." I've had some good purchases ready to pounce when the time comes.

Getting married kind of put an end to my "frivolous" purchases like guns decoys, boats, property ,,,,,,
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Swede » 09 15, 2022 •  [Post 6]

I had discussed buying a new tent with my wife but had not followed up on it. One day she called and said there was a tent in a yard sale across town where she was. She said it was cheap. Just to appease he I said I would drive over and have a look. It was a like new army M1950 for very few dollars. As I was looking at it the owner asked if I was interested. I said I was studying it. She said if I would take it, she would throw in another small tent. SOLD
I still use it and it is great for short hunts. I prefer my A-Wall tent for longer stays.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Jhg » 12 03, 2022 •  [Post 7]

This was in a yard and for sale. She wanted 3500.00. I looked around the property and offered her tree work (remove a maple overhanging the house. She agreed. One 4hr Saturday and I owned a 1948 willys!

03F9E1A9-40C8-47EE-9565-B1A887109944.jpeg
03F9E1A9-40C8-47EE-9565-B1A887109944.jpeg (144.09 KiB) Viewed 1359 times

It needed a trans re-build and a total brake system but I am still waaaay ahead. Super fun rig.
Jhg

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 12 03, 2022 •  [Post 8]

Now that’s a FIND!
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby wawhitey » 12 03, 2022 •  [Post 9]

Thats very cool. This august i was riding my quad down a very rough trail, only to find some guys in a 47 willys. Theyd blown out a sidewall. Couldnt get the wheel off to put their spare on. So i jammed down to my truck and got a breaker bar etc. Got back to them, was really giving it hell trying to get the lugs off. Jumping up and down on the breaker bar, barely budging it. I lt obe of the other guys take a turn, and as he was fighting it i jokingly said theyre probably reverse threads. Everybody just kinda laughed and kept fighting the lugs. Then one guy decided to actually turn one clockwise. Yup, reverse threads on those lugs. Whoda thunk it
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby Jhg » 12 03, 2022 •  [Post 10]

Reverse threads but only on one side. If you opened and drank several rations of emergency, alcohol, hydration many an argument ensued which side was which.
Jhg

Postby wawhitey » 12 04, 2022 •  [Post 11]

Jhg wrote:Reverse threads but only on one side. If you opened and drank several rations of emergency, alcohol, hydration many an argument ensued which side was which.

Wow, really? Well i can say for sure the rear drivers side wheel has reverse thread lugs. If the passenger side has standard threads i can see that being a problem for the guy in the future :lol:

Any idea what the reasoning was for doing that?
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby Jhg » 12 04, 2022 •  [Post 12]

Rotational forces against the threads. I have a 1970's trailer that has these revere threaded lugs as well. I think/assume they got away from doing reverse threaded lugs because it isn't that important and also causes confusion. At least on the trailer the reverse lugs are labelled as such.

https://youtu.be/oxAew6PmtSs
Jhg