Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Ruger american go wild compact 243

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Ruger american go wild compact 243

Postby wawhitey » 07 30, 2022 •  [Post 1]

So after getting a couple suppressors, ive decided that i must suppress everything. And ive realized that a standard barrel length with an 8" can on the end might be fine for a "sit n wait n shoot" hunting style, but just isnt great for the way i do things. So in anticipation of getting a suppressor out of atf limbo, i wanted a 16", threaded barrel 243 for lion hunting. Turns out ruger makes one that, while ugly as sin, checks all the functionality boxes for a winter lion hunting gun with a suppressor. Cerakoted, synthetic stock, lightweight, threaded 5/8×24, 16" barrel. Found one in deer park a couple days ago. Took it apart and cleaned everything real good, put it back together with a little blue loctite and torqued everything to spec. Decided i needed to shoot it now. Slapped on a spare scope i had laying around. Took the stupid radial brake off. Brought several kinds of factory ammo up to my dads place to see what shoots the best from this gun. First and last ammo i tried was the 90 grain sierra gamechanger. Boresighted at home, then took one shot at 25 to make sure id be on paper at 100. First 3 shot group was one jagged hole at 100 yards. Didnt measure it but it was well under 1/2". Pretty impressed. Then took one paper shot and one steel shot at 200. When the weather cools down a bit im going to mount a big target scope on it and really put it through its paces. But for now, i know this gun is very accurate with the factory tgk ammo. Im a happy boy. Once my suppressor is in hand and im ready to hunt with this gun, it will be wearing a 1-6×24 zeiss conquest v6. My "cougar ruger"
Attachments
20220730_160420_copy_600x800.jpg
20220730_160420_copy_600x800.jpg (181.5 KiB) Viewed 700 times
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Re: Ruger american go wild compact 243

Postby 7mmfan » 07 30, 2022 •  [Post 2]

I'm yelling you, yes yelling at you, those Rugers are shooters! I'm looking atmone for my boy coming up in the ranks.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Re: Ruger american go wild compact 243

Postby wawhitey » 07 30, 2022 •  [Post 3]

7mmfan wrote:I'm yelling you, yes yelling at you, those Rugers are shooters! I'm looking atmone for my boy coming up in the ranks.

Couldnt not recommend one. My other ruger is a ruger american predator .223. Also shoots close to 1/2 moa with sierra gamechanger ammo. Hard to beat for $400.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey