Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Don't forget about your boots.

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Don't forget about your boots.

Postby foxvalley » 01 03, 2013 •  [Post 1]

I don't use the same boots for elk hunting as I do here at home for whitetails,so my elk boots got thrown in a small pile of elk gear and forgotten about.I pulled them out yesterday,and noticed that my expensive, hand made leather russels were so dry that they almost seemed crispy.I could almost here them sigh a relief as I applied boot dressing to them.Not looking forward to the day that I have to get another pair,especially from neglect. Just a thought.
foxvalley

First Name: doug
Last Name: houghton

Re: Don't forget about your boots.

Postby pointysticks » 01 03, 2013 •  [Post 2]

good stuff!!

for the first time ever, i cleaned my boots and rubbed them down with a conditioner prior to putting them away. buying high $ boots make you care just alittle bit more. i will strap them on again next sunday. thanks for the reminder, i will condition them one more time before the hunt!
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby ElkNut1 » 01 03, 2013 •  [Post 3]

Agreed! Very good suggestion, I think I'm guilty of this at times too! Thanks for the reminder!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Broken arrow » 01 03, 2013 •  [Post 4]

I need to clean/condition mine just not sure what to buy?
Broken arrow

Postby pointysticks » 01 03, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Broken arrow wrote:I need to clean/condition mine just not sure what to buy?

people looove that OBENAUF stuff. me? i just raided my wife's supply of Coach Purse leather conditioner. it was an all natural product also. when i run out, i will buy the Obenauf stuff.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby Broken arrow » 01 03, 2013 •  [Post 6]

Thanks pointysticks I'll check it out!
Broken arrow

Postby foxvalley » 01 04, 2013 •  [Post 7]

pointysticks wrote:
Broken arrow wrote:I need to clean/condition mine just not sure what to buy?

people looove that OBENAUF stuff. me? i just raided my wife's supply of Coach Purse leather conditioner. it was an all natural product also. when i run out, i will buy the Obenauf stuff.

I also use the obenauf stuff. Lefty, the owner of Russel moccasin co. swears by it.
foxvalley

Postby LckyTylr » 01 04, 2013 •  [Post 8]

I sold boots at Cabela's for 3 years. I turned into a bit of a boot snob. Of all of the thousands of boots that I saw that were in really good shape "considering their age", Obeneauf's conditioned boots were by far the longest lasting. You wouldn't believe how many nasty, disgusting, broken down, ANCIENT boots I saw that were still functioning and I'm sure, were REALLY comfortable . . . all of which had been treated with Obeneauf's throughout their use. I'm a fan, the only other product that people asked for by the Obeneauf's name (or "the stuff that comes in a black tub with gold letters") was Sno Seal and the people that used that stuff didn't get as many years out of their boots.

Anyway, as has been said already, when you starting paying a few hundred $ for boots . . . you had BETTER start taking care of them. I don't like to oil my during archery season as the smell is pretty strong, I'll oil them all summer long during scouting trips and usually stop oiling them 2 weekend scouting trips before the opener. As soon as archery ends and rifle begins, I'm back to oiling every few trips. Make sure you clean your boots thoroughly prior to oiling them.
LckyTylr

First Name: Tyler
Last Name: Sisson

Postby Lefty » 01 06, 2013 •  [Post 9]

At the end of my season All my gear is gone thru and ready for my next first hunt.
Other than my new arrows and fresh water I could have all my gear in the truck in 2 minutes. I put it away ready to go for the next hunt
Clothes are all clean and stored in sage in plastic totes. Same with sleeping gear.
Every moment pre-prepared is more hunting time for me
I could be ready for a rifle hunt in the same time ,.. and a goose hunt I just need to hook up the trailer and crawl in the truck,.. aand grab a can of Mt. Dew as I head out the door :mrgreen:
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby foxvalley » 01 07, 2013 •  [Post 10]

Maybe some day I'll get that organized! LOL.
foxvalley

Postby Lefty » 01 09, 2013 •  [Post 11]

foxvalley wrote:Maybe some day I'll get that organized! LOL.

When you get home from a hunt toss it in the way of your wife in the livingroom, ;)
I dry or wash all my clothes as soon as I get home,.. then back into the storage containers

Plano bins shipped to the house from Walmart at $21.00 each ($39.00 at Sportsmans, $41.00 Cabelas)

Back to the boots: My daughter sold footwear at Sportsmans. Generally the boot maker is specific about what to use and not use

My dad was a firm believer in clear rendered raccoon oil
Many leathers need an oil; None of the boots Ive ever owened asked for a straight synthetic conditioner
I have heard one needs to be carfull to not damage the goretex with certail oils and beeswax
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Indian Summer » 01 10, 2013 •  [Post 12]

0benaufs has given many pairs of boots a long life for me. Kenetrek supplies a boot wax that is the same stuff. It's all natural mostly bees wax and pine pitch.

Pre and post season I remove the laces, clean the boots, & slop it on thick then hit it with a hair dryer so it really penetrates. (not too hot!) You'd be surprised at how it disappears when you use the heat. Then I recover it with a 2nd coat.

Animal oils such as the popular mink oil is said to break down stitching.

As far as Gore Tex goes... Nik Wax is a nice product that helps maintain it. I keep Nik Wax in camp because it soaks in quick & easily with no heat. I'll hit just the toe and sides in the morning if there's snow and it's been awhile since the 0benauf's.

By the way... don't try to take 0benaufs on a plane. I had mine confiscated in Missoula last season.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby foxvalley » 01 10, 2013 •  [Post 13]

Lefty wrote:
foxvalley wrote:Maybe some day I'll get that organized! LOL.

When you get home from a hunt toss it in the way of your wife in the livingroom, ;)

If I tried that,my wife would then toss me in the way of a moving bus!
foxvalley

Postby Ridgernr » 01 13, 2013 •  [Post 14]

I have a pair of Danners that have lasted 16 years and still good to go. I used the danner treatment, I dont know what is in it.
I now use Onenuafs. I have heard dont use sealers on goretex boots as it affects the beathability, I have had to many leaking goretex boots to care all my boots get oiled , Cleaned after hunting season and re-oiled.
Good reminder
Ridgernr

First Name: Randy