Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Sidearm in archery season in big brown country?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Sidearm in archery season in big brown country?

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 02 21, 2022 •  [Post 1]

Just curious, what do you pack when going back into an archery kill, or, perhaps when hunting in grizzly , Alaskan brown, Kodiak bear country.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Sidearm in archery season in big brown country?

Postby Tigger » 02 22, 2022 •  [Post 2]

I pack both bear spray and a Glock 10mm. Sometimes I carry a 3 foot long stick too. Not for the bear, but to trip my partner in case of a bear attack!
Tigger

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 02 22, 2022 •  [Post 3]

Tigger wrote:Sometimes I carry a 3 foot long stick too. Not for the bear, but to trip my partner in case of a bear attack!

Sound wisdom :lol:
WapitiTalk1

Postby Swede » 02 22, 2022 •  [Post 4]

I do not think I have adequate medicine for a bear with my 357M. I would probably carry the spray. Hopefully the big bears don't come to where I hunt.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby >>>---WW----> » 02 22, 2022 •  [Post 5]

Sig P 365! But not for bear. I can think of several times I was glad I had it with me. Two legged varmints and big white guard dogs are more of a threat than bears.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Lefty » 02 25, 2022 •  [Post 6]

Andrew carries a 10MM and bear spray.
I carry bear spray.
Julie carries bear spray
But when going in to retrieve meat I carry a 12 gauge with BB . At nine yards a 3.5 hole with 80 pieces of shot has a lot of impact energy. I did buy a .40 Glock for next year.

This year we packed a trail cam with us . Left an elk at 12:30 AM. we were able to see eagles and ravens on the carcass before 10 AM when we came back.
We had some great news this year. The state and Feds were looking for the griz in our area. No pics on theirs or our trailcams . Last sighting was in May. hopefully hes gone
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Indian Summer » 03 01, 2022 •  [Post 7]

Muffins. Blueberry. You can throw a nice moist one pretty far and a man eating grizzly bear hell bent on killing you can’t resist and it buys you enough time to make a run for it.

I haven’t heard from you for awhile. That’s what’s on your mind? Since you’ll be prepared for the griz can I send you to a place where it’s not safe to shoot an elk? :lol: :lol: :lol:

And here I thought you were just being patient. Most guys want to know right away where they’ll be punching their tags. :lol:

If I’m actually in grizzly country such as Alaska I carry spray in a holster mounted on the front of my left side shoulder strap of my pack. My gun is a .44 mag in a holster on the right side of my waist belt. The muffins are in my bino pouch.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 03 01, 2022 •  [Post 8]

Indian Summer wrote:Muffins. Blueberry. You can throw a nice moist one pretty far and a man eating grizzly bear hell bent on killing you can’t resist and it buys you enough time to make a run for it.

I haven’t heard from you for awhile. That’s what’s on your mind? Since you’ll be prepared for the griz can I send you to a place where it’s not safe to shoot an elk? :lol: :lol: :lol:

And here I thought you were just being patient. Most guys want to know right away where they’ll be punching their tags. :lol:

If I’m actually in grizzly country such as Alaska I carry spray in a holster mounted on the front of my left side shoulder strap of my pack. My gun is a .44 mag in a holster on the right side of my waist belt. The muffins are in my bino pouch.

Haven't heard of the muffin method, innovative so say the least :D. I figured you'd get a hold of me after we're successful in the May draw ;)
WapitiTalk1

Postby >>>---WW----> » 03 02, 2022 •  [Post 9]

Doesn't really matter what caliber your weapon is. Just be sure you file the front sight off. That way it won't hurt quite so bad when that bear shoves it up your arse.
>>>---WW---->