Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Opinions/Assistance Setting up my New/Old Recurve

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Opinions/Assistance Setting up my New/Old Recurve

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 01 19, 2022 •  [Post 1]

No you wiseacres, I'm not shelving my Darton. I was given a great deal on an old Root Recurve. What's a Root recurve bow? Glad you asked . . . https://shakespearearchery.blogspot.com/2013/11/the-root-brush-master-recurve.html. Bow is "probably" a 1966-1968? issue. Is it in good shape? Well, look at the pics below; this bow still has the original feather rest and sidewall. After talking to the son of the guy who bought this bow new back in the day, I'm not so sure it was ever taken out of the closet.

1. I'm ordering a 58" (actual length) bowstring/Flemish - Fast Flight Plus bow string; is this the recommended/correct length which I can play around with and get the correct brace height?

2. There is no hole for a plunger on this old fart so I'm gonna shoot off the shelf (probably better anyway). Here's the question for this part.... Will actual cedar arrows get the job done or should match up some Black Eagle graphite's, with feathers obviously, and give them a whirl? Damn, cedar arrows are just so cool and lightweight. I may have answered my own question.

3. Digging around for a lightweight 3 arrow quiver to attach to the bow. Any recommendations on that? Maybe some of you cats prefer a cat type or hip quiver? Although I can't imagine dragging one of those through brush but I’m listening.

What other goodies do I need to get? Bow stringer, nock sets, rest material, string silencers, field points and broad heads for the arrow I finally settle on, probably a shooting tab as back up (I have an older three finger glove that I used for years with my compounds before I finally went to a release, that'll be my primary with The Root). What else?

Very anxious to try the new stick n' string out. Maybe it'll get to go on some walks this fall.

Root #3.jpg
Root #3.jpg (81.39 KiB) Viewed 3438 times
Root #2.jpg
Root #2.jpg (110.16 KiB) Viewed 3438 times
Root #1.jpg
Root #1.jpg (74.71 KiB) Viewed 3438 times
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Opinions/Assistance Setting up my New/Old Recurve

Postby Lefty » 01 19, 2022 •  [Post 2]

Sure looks purdy

Just me,, but if going old school I wouldn't attach quiver,, Maybe a traditional back quiver ..
And cedar arrows scare me

I still have my old bow from 1970 ,, I haven't shot or strung it in over 10 years
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby >>>---WW----> » 01 20, 2022 •  [Post 3]

Anything you ever wanted to know you can find on youtube. Check out Joel Turner, Clay Hayes, and Push Archery. These guys really know their stuff when it comes to traditional shooting and have all kinds of info on Youtube.

For a bow quiver you might try Thisoldbow.com . He used to have the old Bear clamp on quivers of the same ventage as your Root bow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1E1vKkSSoNs I especially like this one on Push Archery.
>>>---WW---->

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 01 20, 2022 •  [Post 4]

Ha, no trout about that Bill. Just trying to spark some elk hunting chatter in the long odd season.
WapitiTalk1

Postby Swede » 01 21, 2022 •  [Post 5]

Are you sure a Fast-Flight string is right for that bow? I would think it would use a Dacron string. Check that out if you are not sure. You do not want to fracture the limbs with too solid of a stop by the string. It has been a long time since I had a very similar bow. Anyway, it is a very nice bow.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Lefty » 01 21, 2022 •  [Post 6]

WapitiTalk1 wrote:Ha, no trout about that Bill. Just trying to spark some elk hunting chatter in the long odd season.

Just trying to spark some elk hunting chatter

How about a contest, entrees get a few weeks use to break in the new elk truck,.. I would suggest a coyote hunt in the desert :lol:

Ok back to the old, new looking, recurve,. Sweet looking it is!!!

Did I mention,, I wouldn't use cedar arrows
Lefty

Postby >>>---WW----> » 01 22, 2022 •  [Post 7]

Swede wrote:Are you sure a Fast-Flight string is right for that bow? I would think it would use a Dacron string. Check that out if you are not sure. You do not want to fracture the limbs with too solid of a stop by the string. It has been a long time since I had a very similar bow. Anyway, it is a very nice bow.
I have to agree with Swede on this one. Some of us are old enough to remember that Fast Flite was never recommended for these ventage bows.
>>>---WW---->

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 01 22, 2022 •  [Post 8]

Swede wrote:Are you sure a Fast-Flight string is right for that bow? I would think it would use a Dacron string. Check that out if you are not sure. You do not want to fracture the limbs with too solid of a stop by the string. It has been a long time since I had a very similar bow. Anyway, it is a very nice bow.

I ordered a Dacron string Swede. Thanks for the recommendation. Got a few other things on the way also. And no Lefty, you may not “break in” the new elk wagon :lol:
WapitiTalk1

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 01 22, 2022 •  [Post 9]

Here’s what’s been ordered:
Keshes Dacron trad bow string.
Top Archery Otter string silencers.
Nock sets.
Skylety Archery shelf pads.
October Mountain pro recurve stringer.
Elong Outdoor 30”, 400 spine, carbon wood arrows, Turkey feathers.

Still researching what I’ll get to carry arrows in the field. That’s where I’m at, what am I forgetting?
WapitiTalk1

Postby >>>---WW----> » 01 22, 2022 •  [Post 10]

Finger Tab and arm guard
>>>---WW---->

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 01 22, 2022 •  [Post 11]

>>>---WW----> wrote:Finger Tab and arm guard

Got em both, thanks tho.
WapitiTalk1

Postby Lefty » 01 23, 2022 •  [Post 12]

WapitiTalk1 wrote:,,,,,,,,, you may not “break in” the new elk wagon :lol:

Awe,,, Indian Summer could chaperone,,,,

You have had the elk wagon long enough ,,, whats top speed,, inquiring minds want to know!!
Lefty

Postby Swede » 01 23, 2022 •  [Post 13]

>>>---WW----> wrote:I have to agree with Swede on this one.

I told you guys that WW is right once in a while. There is your proof. :D
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Jhg » 02 04, 2022 •  [Post 14]

I run a Great Northern bow quiver on my recurve. They have the safarituff types if you want a modern off bow arrow storage that is worth looking at. Check out 3Rivers for trad bow gear that you need and will never need but its all there.

If you are running carbon arrows be sure to foot them.

I prefer having my strings custom made. If you ever feel like it try a continuous loop string vs the flemish twist. I run continuous. Said to be slightly faster.

You may want to glue a very thin soft material on the nock grooves at the limb tips. It will go a long way quieting the string slap that is the bane of modern (rather than static) recurve design that has the limb ends unfold to gain some extra performance.

Neat bow. It will be fun to hunt with.
Jhg

Postby >>>---WW----> » 02 05, 2022 •  [Post 15]

I used to put brush buttons on my recurve bow string. You'd be surprised at how many weeds and small twigs get caught between the bow tip and the string. The buttons help to eliminate most of it and also have a slight silencing effect. You'll need a bobby pin to put them on with. I like cat whiskers also..
>>>---WW---->

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 02 07, 2022 •  [Post 16]

>>>---WW----> wrote:I used to put brush buttons on my recurve bow string. You'd be surprised at how many weeds and small twigs get caught between the bow tip and the string. The buttons help to eliminate most of it and also have a slight silencing effect. You'll need a bobby pin to put them on with. I like cat whiskers also..

Copy all, thanks Bill.
WapitiTalk1

Postby six » 03 08, 2022 •  [Post 17]

Something I use instead of a finger tab or three finger glove is a leather glove. Works as good as a three finger glove and come fall when temps cool off is practical. I've taken to small game hunting with my longbow so the weather can be quite chilly. As far as quivers go I don't like anything on my bow so I fasten a quiver to my pack.

Just my 2cents
Elk are where you find em...
six

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Cool