Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Javelin Pro Hunt Bipod Review

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Javelin Pro Hunt Bipod Review

Postby 7mmfan » 12 28, 2021 •  [Post 1]

In an effort to leave the Swagger bipod review thread just that, I'm starting a new thread on the bipod that I settled on.

Like I said in my review of the Swagger bipod, there were good aspects, and poor ones, as is the case with virtually every product. I felt that there were too many aspects of that bipod that I didn't care for to continue using it, and went about researching alternatives.

My key bipod requirements included:
- Easily removeable/attachable. I did not one permanently attached to my rifle.
- Small and lightweight. I had to be able to carry it somewhere easily accessible to make it worth owning and carrying around.
- Easily adjustable

There were not many lightweight removeable bidpods on the market I found. The company that by far had the best following and reviews was Spartan Precision Equipment, and their Javelin bipods. They are a magnetic bipod that attaches to an adaptor that you attach where your sling stud is on the for end of the stock. I watched many videos of them in use and read reviews, researched other reviews on forums such as this one before I made my purchase. It arrived in the mail about 1 week before I left for an Idaho hunt and I used the bipod on both the animals I killed on that trip.

My exact setup was the Javelin Pro Hunt Bipod in standard length.
https://javelinbipod.com/collections/bipods/products/javelin-pro-hunt

Pros
- Very lightweight
- With adaptor in place, it attaches in seconds. Literally just clicks in. It removes just as easily. Just pull it off.
- Multiple adaptors can be purchased so you can use on multiple rifles with no effort
- Can be locked into position, or adjusted to allow for cant and traversing side to side.
- Small enough to carry in a cargo pocket or even just pants pocket for easy access. I used the holster they offer. More on that later.
- One hand adjustability
- Legs are interchangeable, so you can replace with longer ones if you feel you will need the length on a particular hunt

Cons
- Expensive. Nearly 4x the cost of a Harris bipod
- Carrying holster attached to waist belt on pack is convenient, but the holster is very tight and can be difficult to get the bipod out one handed.
- The adjustment point for height is what you use to remove the legs to replace with other legs if wanted. This is a potential problem area. I'll expand on this.
- Cannot adjust for angle, up or down. Not a big deal, and not common in other bipods either, but was annoyance at times.

Critical issues expanded
The holster. It appeared to be super convenient. I attached it to my waist belt and it was always handy. What I learned though was that the holster was so tight that I could not get the bipod out with one hand. If I had already pulled my rifle out of my gun bearer I would have to lay it on the ground or otherwise to free up my 2nd hand to get it out. That frustrated me. I suppose with some muscle memory training you'd just learn to pull the bipod out first then your rifle. It wasn't comfortable to carry in the cargo pocket of the pants I like to wear, otherwise I would probably just do that.

The adjustment point is easily turned with one hand to allow for height adjustment. It takes a little practice as it goes from locked to wide open with no resistance, so if you're extended your gun can drop multiple inches. I learned to deal with that. The issue that I encountered, is that if this adjustment point is not firmly tightened, the wrestling in and out of the holster can be enough to loosen them. On a hunt this fall, I had taken my bipod out to rest my gun on while I was glassing, and then put it back in the holster when I got back on the trail. I spent a fair amount of time climbing through an old burn full of dead fall and at one point I stopped to look ahead and felt something hit my foot. I looked down and there was one of the legs of my bipod laying on the ground. It had loosened and eventually worked itself all the way loose and fell off. Luckily I was standing still when it happened so I noticed it. Unfortunately I was not that lucky when the 2nd leg did the same thing at some point. So at that point I had a bipod with one full length leg (about 7") and one partial leg, about 3". It wasn't useable and if I had needed it I would be pretty upset. Upon returning home I emailed Spartan and their rep got back to me immediately. He said it was not unheard of for that to happen, but he was surprised that both had worked their way loose. They promptly sent me a new set of legs without question. So I guess the point is, it's a known weak link in the setup, and if you are carrying the bipod exposed, such as in the holster, you need to be aware of it and check it.

Overall, the pros of the bipod outweigh the cons for me, despite the frustration of loosing the legs on one trip. The bipod is easy to use, lightweight, highly packable, and can be used on multiple rifles. Despite some of the imperfections, it filled almost all of my must have categories.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Re: Javelin Pro Hunt Bipod Review

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 12 28, 2021 •  [Post 2]

Excellent review mister, thanks!
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ