Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

What tents do you own?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

What tents do you own?

Postby 7mmfan » 12 20, 2021 •  [Post 1]

Another thread got me thinking about all the shelters I've picked up over the years. I feel like my shelter situation is fairly stable right now but for a while I was buying and selling tents left and right trying to find what worked for me. I've finally settled on these setups for various times of year or locations. I'm sure as my son gets older and starts joining me on the mountain, these will change a little.

I never thought I would end up with so many tents/shelters, but I've found that each of these really has it's niche that it excels in.

- Backpack hunting during late fall - 10'x10' silnylon teepee w/ stove. Custom made tent by a guy here in WA. No sod/storm cloth on the bottom so wind can be in issue, but I've had it in super windy conditions and survived as long as there wasn't drifting and blowing snow. I learned last year in ID to stack fir boughs around the bottom air gap. This allowed air flow to keep condensation down but kept wind gusts down and kept snow out.

- Backpack hunting late summer early fall - 2 man ultralight backpacking tent. REI tent of some form. Looking at a BA Copper Spur UL2 as an upgrade.

- Backpacking summer - MRS thru hiker 2 with or without tarp depending on forecast. Sets up with trekking poles or branches if they're available. Very nice ultralight setup if you're on the move and not leaving camp somewhere.

- Truck camp solo / 2 people for a couple of days - Kodiak Canvas 10x12 Cabin Tent. Use a Little Buddy heater in it and it warms it to almost unbearable temps. The canvas breathes so condensation is rarely an issue.

- Truck camp with group and/or long term camp - 15x18 Davis Tent wall tent. The valhalla of camp setups. Dad and I cooked a mostly full thanksgiving dinner on the stove this year.

I also sleep in the canopy of my truck a lot if I'm just going for a night or two by myself in the truck.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Re: What tents do you own?

Postby Elkhntr08 » 12 20, 2021 •  [Post 2]

Right now I’ve got the 6 man Alaskan Guide tent and a old Coleman 10x12 that doesn’t go out anymore.
Still looking for something lightweight to travel a couple miles back when needed. Floor is a must.
Elkhntr08

Postby wawhitey » 12 20, 2021 •  [Post 3]

Wow, youve got it covered. Im a simple man when it comes to tents i suppose. Really if at all possible, i prefer the bed of my truck to be my tent. When that wont cut it, i have a brooks range foray and a kifaru floorless shelter. I think its a supertarp. Either one can go in my pack without being much of a burden. I guess there are tent guys, knife guys, clothing guys, optics guys, etc etc. Im a gun guy. Feel a compulsion to have the exact perfect rifle / optics / sidearm for every specific hunting scenario i can imagine.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 12 20, 2021 •  [Post 4]

Good thread mister!
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Swede » 12 20, 2021 •  [Post 5]

DSCN0457.JPG

Here is my "other" tent. I use it mostly to store things in the dry, but sometimes have it when a smaller tent works best for me.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Swede » 12 20, 2021 •  [Post 6]

DSCN0534.JPG
DSCN0534.JPG (298.92 KiB) Viewed 2790 times

This is the 12X14 tent I got from the Wall Tent Shop. It is my primary lodging when I am camping. It is a very valuable asset with a capable guard stationed out front.
Swede

Postby 7mmfan » 12 21, 2021 •  [Post 7]

Elkhntr08 wrote:Right now I’ve got the 6 man Alaskan Guide tent and a old Coleman 10x12 that doesn’t go out anymore.
Still looking for something lightweight to travel a couple miles back when needed. Floor is a must.

You might look at the Luxe Hiking Gear tents. Most of their ultralight systems have an option for a partial or even full nest inside. So that would give you floor and mesh that helps insulate and keep the condensation down. I bought my Dad the Minipeak XL last year with a half nest and he loves it. Still has a floorless room for a stove and dirty/wet gear, but has a nice dried in space for sleeping. I tried posting a link, but they're site won't load for me this morning.

I suppose in hindsight, your issue with the floorless shelter was more that the bottom was prone to windblown debris and dust. The nest would certainly help some, but it wouldn't eliminate the possibility that the bottom of the tent could flare up and blow junk into the space. That is a tough one. Most ultralight 1 or 2 man backpacking tents are mostly mesh with a bathtub floor and rainfly though, so I don't really see them as being a much better option. That's a pickle.
7mmfan

Postby 7mmfan » 12 21, 2021 •  [Post 8]

wawhitey wrote:Wow, youve got it covered. Im a simple man when it comes to tents i suppose. Really if at all possible, i prefer the bed of my truck to be my tent. When that wont cut it, i have a brooks range foray and a kifaru floorless shelter. I think its a supertarp. Either one can go in my pack without being much of a burden. I guess there are tent guys, knife guys, clothing guys, optics guys, etc etc. Im a gun guy. Feel a compulsion to have the exact perfect rifle / optics / sidearm for every specific hunting scenario i can imagine.

I actually really like sleeping in the back of my truck. But later in the season it is nice to have a space you can stand up in, with a little heat and move about in inclement weather. If i'm going to bring a popup shelter or something to create a dry space, I might as well just have a tent too.

Now, having the exact right gun/side arm combo for every hunt, that's an entirely different thread and one I wish I could participate in. I don't see myself changing rifles anytime soon, but I may be adding a sidearm at some point.
7mmfan

Postby Swede » 12 21, 2021 •  [Post 9]

I never had a good thick pad under me when I have slept in the back of my pickup, but I have learned pickup beds are OK when it is warm, but they can get cold and be miserable by rifle deer season. Even a cot with a pad can be a problem in real cold weather, but I am good in far colder temperatures than in the back of the pickup. I don't think a pad will make up for the cold steel bed of a truck.
Swede

Postby 7mmfan » 12 21, 2021 •  [Post 10]

Swede wrote:I never had a good thick pad under me when I have slept in the back of my pickup, but I have learned pickup beds are OK when it is warm, but they can get cold and be miserable by rifle deer season. Even a cot with a pad can be a problem in real cold weather, but I am good in far colder temperatures than in the back of the pickup. I don't think a pad will make up for the cold steel bed of a truck.

I have a thick rubber bed mat in my truck bed. I'm not sure it provides much insulation, but it is infinitely better than sleeping pad on steel. If I'm truck bed camping in late season I have a closed cell foam pad under my 3" regular foam pad and that helps a lot as well. The other thing I use is a little buddy catalytic heater when I'm getting into bed, and up in the morning. It takes the chill out of the air almost immediately.
7mmfan

Postby 7mmfan » 12 21, 2021 •  [Post 11]

Swede wrote:
DSCN0457.JPG

Here is my "other" tent. I use it mostly to store things in the dry, but sometimes have it when a smaller tent works best for me.

That fire pit looks awful close to the tent. It appears your tent has a spot for a stove jack, why are you trying to heat it from outside?
7mmfan

Postby Lefty » 12 21, 2021 •  [Post 12]

For many years it was the front seat of my pickup.
My tenting days and back of the pickup started after I got married.

For back packing Ive used my wifes 45 year old nylon 1 man pup. I wanted to replace it. But my wife said we need a back packing tent for both of us
2015-07-01 07-06-04.jpg

Ive found plenty of good tents at Deseret Industries That Ive plain worn out , the list is long on used and gone.

Last year ( it makes me cry almost. My wife bought us two tents that fit my criteria,,, almost ,, her reasoning our RV was too spendy to pull around and her new car justified what she bought ( I expect to never figure out her thought process) She was shopping with her sister at ALs and Campsaver
We have a big Agnus for car camping .
2451.jpeg

and a Klymit 3 man Cross canyon
Code: Select all
for back packing

This is what happens when she uses a good tent and separated the poles My wifes organizational skills some how demanded all tent poles should be together :roll:
7173.jpeg
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Lefty » 12 21, 2021 •  [Post 13]

An engineer designed and didn't know how to market. Slickest tent ever.
Popp open and put the stakes in I slept easily 400 nights in this one,, my kids maybe another 150 nights

2011-09-23 09-10-48.JPG

The Colemans from Costco last about 30 nights or 3 good wind storms ,,

Ive slept hundreds of nights in Spring bars ( go with the new Kodiaks now ) as a Scoutmaster . This exact tent was the worst tent the troop had and I used it 10-15 nights a year for 15 years
2015-03-21 08-30-42 (Custom).JPG
2015-03-21 08-30-42 (Custom).JPG (35.5 KiB) Viewed 2777 times

$5;00 at Deseret industries Listed $20 years ago for $450.A very heavy snow ( not in his pic) broke the poles

IMG_5853.JPG

Ive messed up Ive seen Nemos and MSR under $100 and didnt snap them up.. ( thus my wife bought the Big Agnus and Kymitt )
Lefty

Postby six » 12 21, 2021 •  [Post 14]

FB_IMG_1534535178398.jpg
FB_IMG_1534535178398.jpg (44.93 KiB) Viewed 2771 times
Elk are where you find em...
six

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Cool

Postby six » 12 21, 2021 •  [Post 15]

FB_IMG_1594943298787_resize_97.jpg
FB_IMG_1594943298787_resize_97.jpg (389.39 KiB) Viewed 2768 times

My favorite. Not sure if it qualifies as a tent tho.
Elk are where you find em...
six

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Cool

Postby wawhitey » 12 21, 2021 •  [Post 16]

7mmfan wrote:
wawhitey wrote:Wow, youve got it covered. Im a simple man when it comes to tents i suppose. Really if at all possible, i prefer the bed of my truck to be my tent. When that wont cut it, i have a brooks range foray and a kifaru floorless shelter. I think its a supertarp. Either one can go in my pack without being much of a burden. I guess there are tent guys, knife guys, clothing guys, optics guys, etc etc. Im a gun guy. Feel a compulsion to have the exact perfect rifle / optics / sidearm for every specific hunting scenario i can imagine.

I actually really like sleeping in the back of my truck. But later in the season it is nice to have a space you can stand up in, with a little heat and move about in inclement weather. If i'm going to bring a popup shelter or something to create a dry space, I might as well just have a tent too.

Now, having the exact right gun/side arm combo for every hunt, that's an entirely different thread and one I wish I could participate in. I don't see myself changing rifles anytime soon, but I may be adding a sidearm at some point.

Add a sidearm. Do it. Do it. Youll be glad ya did. I bought a new pistol here recently. No ragrets. Its not intended for woods carry, but it would work. More of an urban carry gun. Full sized 9mm, 5.25" barrel, 22+1 capacity. And ill tell ya, hands down, flat out best shooting pistol ive ever touched. Even on short acquaintance, unfamiliar trigger, cant believe i was able to shoot that well. New sidearms are never a bad idea. Do it. If your wife tries to pitch a fit, tell her you had my permission.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby 7mmfan » 12 21, 2021 •  [Post 17]

wawhitey wrote:
7mmfan wrote:

Add a sidearm. Do it. Do it. Youll be glad ya did. I bought a new pistol here recently. No ragrets. Its not intended for woods carry, but it would work. More of an urban carry gun. Full sized 9mm, 5.25" barrel, 22+1 capacity. And ill tell ya, hands down, flat out best shooting pistol ive ever touched. Even on short acquaintance, unfamiliar trigger, cant believe i was able to shoot that well. New sidearms are never a bad idea. Do it. If your wife tries to pitch a fit, tell her you had my permission.

Oh man, with your permission I'm sure I can get just about anything I want. New boat and truck on the way.
7mmfan

Postby Swede » 12 21, 2021 •  [Post 18]

7mmfan: There has never been any fire in that pit at any time I have camped there over the years. Just like the bushes on the other side of the tent; it is just there. Both the bushes and the rocks keep people from tripping over the tent ropes. In archery season I never have a fire. If I wanted an outdoor fire in one of the rifle seasons, I would either move the tent or the fire pit. Most likely I would just build a fire in my wood heater and forget the fire ring.
Swede

Postby Lefty » 12 25, 2021 •  [Post 19]

Still have a Eureka 3 man Scouter.
Another $5.00 tent. Light weight backpacker but shorter.
Lefty