Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Game Cart

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Game Cart

Postby MTLongdraw » 12 31, 2012 •  [Post 1]

Since September I've been trying to figure out how to get back into the spot I killed my bull without horses. Couldn't get the same vacation as I had this year, and the guy I went with last year probably isn't going back this year as he is taking his son to his old area. Have any of you had luck with these type of game carts? It's a 9 mile walk to camp. The trail is flat (enough) and is an old 4 wheeler trail.
Attachments
00small64440183 (600x800) (480x640).jpg
00small64440183 (600x800) (480x640).jpg (206.74 KiB) Viewed 18856 times
MTLongdraw

First Name: Josh
Last Name: Volinkaty

Game Cart

Postby RockChucker30 » 12 31, 2012 •  [Post 2]

I've got a two wheeled version from cabelas. It works great on flat cleared ground. 9 miles would get tiresome, but if you had a pack for your gear I think one man could take camp and a boned elk out in one trip. Assuming flat ground and a good road. With anything steep you'd need brakes.
RockChucker30
Site Sponsor

First Name: Nathan
Last Name: Coleman

Re: Game Cart

Postby Swede » 12 31, 2012 •  [Post 3]

I have a cart like Rockchucker30's. I hate it, and have had several unspoken/derogatory conversations with the designer, while hauling out meat and later while making modifications. The small hard rubber wheels, which are out of alignment, are very troublesome, so the cart is difficult to maneuver. The real problems come on hills and over obstacles which has caused me to wonder what kind of "engineer" the maker is. The rear handle is too low and causes the person on the rear, if you have someone there to help push and lift, to be in a perpetual stooped position trying to do their part if you are on bad ground or dealing with obstacles. All I can say is; one season out with my game cart and I fell in love with my pack again.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby >>>---WW----> » 12 31, 2012 •  [Post 4]

I was just wondering if any of you had ever thought about one of those three wheel jogging carts. You know, the kind you see mothers pushing their children in while they're getting their jogging exercise. I have one that is all aluminum. Believe me, there is no resistance at all when you push this thing. I'm sure you could easily haul a half of an elk out with one of these. Also, they already have the brakes on them. That could be a big help when going downhill. If you would shop the yard sales mix summer, I'll bet you could find a bunch of them. Around here you can pick them up for five or 10 bucks. All you would need to do would be to add a couple of tiedown straps. In the nice thing is, you don't have to put it down when you stop for rest. It balances itself.

Just thought I'd toss it around on here for you guys to think about. Happy new year everyone!
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby >>>---WW----> » 12 31, 2012 •  [Post 5]

Hoops! I forgot to mention they fold up also. That makes for easy loading in your truck or car.
>>>---WW---->

Postby cnelk » 12 31, 2012 •  [Post 6]

I made this one. Materials were about $60
Hauled plenty of elk and deer

cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Game Cart

Postby RockChucker30 » 12 31, 2012 •  [Post 7]

Mine is the magnum version with some pretty big solid wheels. Build heavy duty and works well given terrain limitations.
RockChucker30
Site Sponsor

First Name: Nathan
Last Name: Coleman

Postby MTLongdraw » 12 31, 2012 •  [Post 8]

WW in regards to you comment I did think about it. Here is my delima. Where I go essentially has two ways in. You can stay on the four wheeler trail for 9 miles. It's wide and flat enough that the stroller would work good. Could probably even get a bike with a trailer to pull camp in and out and hopefully a big rack. The downside to this is there are big ruts in the road from free range cattle, and you have to cross the river about 17 times. Not an issue getting across other than obviously getting your feet wet and the risk of tipping your load. Also everything else is going to get wet too. The other way in is a bypass trail that keeps you out of all but 3 small creek crossings. It however has a much more narrower trail. It's also on a side hill. It has some ups and downs but nothing too steep. My thinking is that with the one wheel set up I would be able to lean into the mountain more keeping my load more level and being able to manipulate it better.

For CNELKS set up I really like it. Again same issues with maybe how wide it is on the trail. CNELK have you ever used it on a sidehill trail?

I know two guys that hunted this exact area two years ago. They each have one of these and both took out a half of moose on it. They didn't complain about anything but then again they hunted sheep in AK for 27 years and only brought a sleeping bag, a 6 pack of MTN Dew and a box of Snickers. That was good enough for 3 nights. They have a disorder as far as I'm concerned. :D
MTLongdraw

First Name: Josh
Last Name: Volinkaty

Postby planebow » 12 31, 2012 •  [Post 9]

I have a 2 wheel cart with 18 inch wheels and solid tires, works great on gated roads but I am building a single wheel setup for it for some of the side hills and narrow trails
planebow

First Name: Robert
Last Name: Howard

Postby Indian Summer » 01 01, 2013 •  [Post 10]

I have a Cabelas Super Mag Hauler... 2 wheeled cart. Those things have no place on sidehills! Best used for deer and on a good flat (wide) trail.

Als I'll pass on the dolly type carts where the wheels are at 1 end & the load isn't centered over the wheels and you have to lift 100% of the weight.

This Game Tote is really nice but best used with two people. Not cheap either.... but the Caddillac.

In reality you'll be hard pressed to find a good 1 man cart to go in (up) with. Better to get a good pack t get your load off of the ground and make another trip if needed.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby cnelk » 01 01, 2013 •  [Post 11]

even tho I have a game cart and have used it many times to pack out animals, doesnt necessarily mean i use it all the time.

i have packed meat out on packframes many more times than the cart.

sidehilling? I wouldnt use cart. 2 wheels or 1 wheeled.
i mean, you got to walk the distance anyway, I would prefer a packframe and trekking poles

one of the worst game cart experiences I had was using the one wheeled cart pictured below [ i borrowed it]
Me and a buddy packed out my bull about 4+ miles on closed logging roads.
It was home-made and the handles were built too high. it had brakes for inclines/declines but barely worked.

if you build or buy something, be sure it fits you and your specific needs. not someone elses.

cnelk

Postby Bartfrncs » 01 04, 2013 •  [Post 12]

Just curious where will you be using it? Why not rent buy or borrow an ATV that seems like the solution to me. (that last part killed me I hate ATVs)
Bartfrncs

First Name: Bart
Last Name: Frncs

Postby planebow » 01 04, 2013 •  [Post 13]

Where I hunt I use a base camp and use an atv to get me to different hunting areas. You can not take atv's off main roads but I use it to keep miles of rough roads offfrom my pickup. I use a game cart if possable to haul my game to the main road. I am sure he has the same problems.
planebow

First Name: Robert
Last Name: Howard

Postby Indian Summer » 01 05, 2013 •  [Post 14]

CnElk... that's the Game Tote.

BUT.... I understand what you are saying. Notice the handles on mine. They have what are called levelers & I have them on both ends. They swivel to be higher or lower than the regular handles. A few inches makes a HUGE difference..... huge. That way you can adjust it for tall guy/short guy or uphill/downhill etc. I used the smallest wheel possible as well.

If you don't have the handles at the right height for Y0U then F0RGET it! It's hard to balance. You'll be ready to throw it over the hill. Sounds like you've been there. L0L

Also... the brakes are drum. I carry a small crescent wrench in case they need adjusted. Also VERY important. In a way the thing needs customized but once you have it right.... and then practice a bit... it's really nice and carries 400+ pounds if u can push it..... & ST0P it!

Carts aren't always the ticket. Usually they aren't. But you can intentionally pick spots where they really help. I have a spot in Wyoming that is a classic bottom creek trail. We can gradually gain elevation for 7 miles. There are some creek crossings to deal with but it's worth it and we don't have that much weight going in. Is it the best way in? No, a pack would be easier. But the whole plan is to make coming out a breeze. To be able to truck an entire elk skull & all AND camp in 1 trip is priceless.

0bviously they are great on gated roads but then any cart will do there. This bad boy will run game trails and is easy to get over logs. 0ne more thing.... I always make sure I have a young guy on the other end. ;-)
Attachments
GameTte.jpg
GameTte.jpg (49.99 KiB) Viewed 18757 times
Indian Summer

Postby wideangle » 01 05, 2013 •  [Post 15]

RockChucker30 wrote:I've got a two wheeled version from cabelas. It works great on flat cleared ground. 9 miles would get tiresome, but if you had a pack for your gear I think one man could take camp and a boned elk out in one trip. Assuming flat ground and a good road. With anything steep you'd need brakes.

Yep I have the same cart and it works great. Solid tires and wide frame make easy work on deer and elk quarters on a wider trail or road. I also use this cart for hauling in duck decoys.
wideangle

First Name: Joseph

Postby tracker12 » 01 06, 2013 •  [Post 16]

Which ever one you go with make sure the weight can be distributed over the wheels. It makes a world of difference. I have used a bunch of different ones out east here for whitetails. Some are great some ok and some are worse that dragging. I have the Non-Typical game cart and it works great but the handle is a little short for my height and arm length.
tracker12

Postby ElkNut1 » 01 06, 2013 •  [Post 17]

I sure want to know where so many hunt where you could even use a game cart? I can't think of any area we hunt where it could get any use? Maybe I should hunt with you guys? (grin)

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Indian Summer » 01 06, 2013 •  [Post 18]

tracker12 wrote:Which ever one you go with make sure the weight can be distributed over the wheels. It makes a world of difference. I have used a bunch of different ones out east here for whitetails. Some are great some ok and some are worse that dragging. I have the Non-Typical game cart and it works great but the handle is a little short for my height and arm length.

Absolutely! I was going to mention that to CnElk. Just like mule packing, or loading your backpack, weight distribution is important. 0n the downhill the weight needs to more rearward to keep it centered over the single wheel because the cart is leaning rearward to ride level. Also because when you hit the brakes it wants to roll forward. I can't tell you enough that is definitely a learning experience and something you get way better at with some trial and error.

Paul... the place I use in Wyo is interesting. It's a wilderness study area. Same regs as wilderness with 2 exceptions... you can use a single track cart AND a chainsaw. Plus the trail goes ever so gently (except 4 the creek xings) for miles and miles. Camp on a pond & trout stream at 8000 ft and hunt from there to 9500. 0ne side timber the other miles of open parks. I can't figure out for the life of me why nobody else is up there!

I know a gated mining claim road in MT that goes for 14 miles to the top. All up but doable. Coming down your cheeks get sore from smiling. L0L

There are miles & miles of horse pack trails in the Bitterroot where it'll go although lots where it isn't even close to possible 4 sure. There we mainly leave it in the truck and use it just to truck bulls where we can.

I don't use it alot really but it pays for itself every single time I can use it. Sure is cheaper than a damn mule!
Indian Summer

Postby cnelk » 01 06, 2013 •  [Post 19]

some of the 100 sq miles i elk hunt are laced with old logging roads that are closed to motorized travel.
any type of game cart is a huge plus, especially when these trails go 5-6 miles into elk country.

I also designed my 'cart' for multi-purpose use. like transporting firewood, or moving heavy stuff around the place.
it may not be fancy, it may not be perfect, but it works for me and i built it

Just yesterday i was up in the high country visiting with my ranching friend. As we look across the the mountain sides in the distance, he was telling me some more areas where elk hunting would be EXCELLENT. But he also said be sure its a nice bull because getting one out of there would suck.
He said he can hardly push his cattle out of there when its time to gather.

I cant wait to go hunt it and i will leave the cart at home....
cnelk

Postby ElkNut1 » 01 06, 2013 •  [Post 20]

Guys, I understand about the carts. We are more the type of hunters that use packs that we can take out at least 1/2 the elk out from kill site if not all of it. If a 2nd trip is needed we walk in & pack that part out, done. Certainly use carts where it's possible, nothing wrong with that.

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby >>>---WW----> » 01 06, 2013 •  [Post 21]

Brad, you are my new best friend. I'd be pleased to help you hunt that new area. Especially if you brough along a cooler full of walleye to fry up!!!
>>>---WW---->

Postby cnelk » 01 06, 2013 •  [Post 22]

>>>---WW----> wrote:Brad, you are my new best friend. I'd be pleased to help you hunt that new area. Especially if you brough along a cooler full of walleye to fry up!!!

I have already named the new area 'steep and deep' and I never go elk hunting without walleye fillets... ;)
cnelk

Postby ElkNut1 » 01 06, 2013 •  [Post 23]

Brad, watch out now ole Bill don't walk you into the ground! (grin) Never had Walleye?????

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby BobcatJerry » 01 19, 2013 •  [Post 24]

Used the Cabelas 2 wheel cart to wheel in extra camp supplies a few years ago up an old forest service road. About 1 mile and 800' vertical climb. It was a two man job with LOTS of stops to rest. Going down hill it was no stops and a one man job all the way. Couldn't imagine it off road at all (loaded) or in an area where you had to go uphill. We packed the extras in this year.
BobcatJerry

First Name: Jerry
Last Name: F

Postby Buglemaster » 01 20, 2013 •  [Post 25]

I built a cart off the same plans as the one in the first pic of this thread. Materials only cost me around $60 as I had some scrap stuff I was able to use.It handles real well as long as you have a decent trail/road & it isn't too steep uphill/downhill. We were able to maneuver around blowdowns crossing the trail or with a guy following,we could go over by having the back guy pick up the tire to get it across obstacles.Did'nt get to load it up with any meat, but I'm confident it would handle 150# rather easily.Mabe more.We made a strap that goes over your neck & attaches to the 2 side rails that transferes alot of weight to your shoulders & relieves the strain of just using your arms. It's not for everywhere, but with a decent trail, it is worth its weight big time.
Attachments
2012 early hunt 006.jpg
2012 early hunt 006.jpg (76.77 KiB) Viewed 18653 times
Buglemaster

First Name: Dave
Last Name: Shaklee