Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Tree Slings vs tree stands

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Postby wideangle » 12 29, 2012 •  [Post 1]

Has anyone used tree slings instead of tree stands? I saw a few hunters using them last year
and they all liked the portability and ease of set up. They did kill elk over water.
wideangle

First Name: Joseph

Re: Tree Slings vs tree stands

Postby Swede » 12 29, 2012 •  [Post 2]

I have never sat in one. They are obviously light and easy to carry. I do not doubt their safety. Things I take care of from my tree stand, appears to require a trip to the ground, if I am using a sling. I hope my scent and sound does not spook anything while I am down. I am skeptical of them. I sit an average of ten hours per day and may go 12+ on occasion. Comfort is also an absolute must. I would see if a ground blind would work before I would hang like an elk quarter all day.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby dotman » 12 29, 2012 •  [Post 3]

Are they still made? For some reason I have this memory of them going out of business but could be wrong.
dotman

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 12 29, 2012 •  [Post 4]

OK.. I'll bite.. What is a tree sling?
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 12 29, 2012 •  [Post 5]

I'd agree with Swede on this one. They do remind me of the Johnny Jump Up I put my kids in when they were little. :-)

Phantom16, here's the link.
http://www.trophylineusa.com/store.php
JohnFitzgerald

Postby foxvalley » 12 30, 2012 •  [Post 6]

Phantom16 wrote:OK.. I'll bite.. What is a tree sling?

Phantom,It's kind of like a safety harness but has a sling or pad that your butt sits in.The harness attaches to a tree or limb in front of you,and you kind of "hang there".There are advantages to one,and I tried it out west a few times,but they are uncomfortable for long periods of time,and tend to cut off circulation.I thought it would be the answer when you find a wallow, or cool spot to stand sit.I kept the harness on all the time,and had linemans spikes in my pack,and I could get up anywhere, but it wasn't worth it.
foxvalley

First Name: doug
Last Name: houghton

Postby >>>---WW----> » 12 30, 2012 •  [Post 7]

At my age??? You gotta be kid'n! But there was a time when I had a young flexable body (belive it or not) when I really wanted to try one. Back then, I think they called them the Anderson Tree Sling.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby RockChucker30 » 12 30, 2012 •  [Post 8]

I've got one. My LW sit and climb is more comfortable.

I used the sling with an assassin stand and LW sticks so it wasn't much of a weight advantage.

They are SAFE though. I've intentionally hung upside down in mine. I use it mostly as a safety devise while hanging other stands now.
RockChucker30
Site Sponsor

First Name: Nathan
Last Name: Coleman