Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

The little things,,, at hunt camp!

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

The little things,,, at hunt camp!

Postby Lefty » 08 22, 2021 •  [Post 1]

Years past hunting was mostly sleep in the back of the pick up. A few time a motel or wall tents.
For me a good nights rest was important, for me that meant warm, and comfortable.
Now I also like good food, somewhat healthy and tasty.
The past two years we've used RV's at camp. and all the luxuries that provides, The ability to stand up in the warmth and put pants on without stepping on burrs or in the snow too :lol:

Last year the big addition for us,,,and also suggested on the forum.
Mouse poison.

what little things are big things on your hunt!
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: The little things,,, at hunt camp!

Postby Swede » 08 22, 2021 •  [Post 2]

I like to start the day with a cup of hot coffee. If my brother is around I have hotcakes and bacon right away. If I am doing it, there is a hot bowl of oatmeal. It can be the little things that make a difference.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby wawhitey » 08 22, 2021 •  [Post 3]

No no no, youre doing it all wrong. Heres my breakdown of appropriate hunting procedure:

Wake up under truck canopy at 4am via bladder alarm

Nope, no time to put boots on, too much lacing up required. Step out into snow and rocks in your stocking feet, and begin melting snow no more than 3 feet from your truck. Feet are frozen, cant walk further

Crawl back in bed of truck into sleeping bags making oohhhuhhhh noises, with plenty of shivering and profanity

Take an energy shot. I prefer rhino rush

Eat a few handfuls of mixed nuts cause all your other food is frozen. And your jugs of water are solid ice too so your little stove is useless

Stuff every pocket you can find with those chemical handwarmer packets

Get outside on frozen legs, so stiff youre walking like an alchoholic in his final days. Be sure to break lots of sticks and make plenty of noise

Oh crap, forgot my (could be anything) back to get it

Be cold and miserable all day.

Wash rinse repeat

A month later think how great it was, conveniently forgetting the misery involved, and spend your next 11 months longing to do it again.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby saddlesore » 08 23, 2021 •  [Post 4]

Those little LED lanterns that you pull up the cap to turn on are great. So is a urinal inside the camper or at least a big juice bottle. Handi- wipes to ward off Monkey Butt

I carry about a dozen mouse traps and peanut butter. Set them all around the truck camper . Last year in ML season. I caught 37 of them.Poison them and they tend to end up where you don't want them to rot

Big problem this year is with new dentures, I can't use a diaphragm call and can't clamp down on a reed call yet. Looks like it will be only sitting this year close to the mule. Both knees gave out and injections only let me go so far. Made a deal with my friendly outfitter.She will pack my elk out and I will trade her all my new lightweight pack gear. tent,stove,cot,chair. My old pack mule is going lame and can't carry much. So he will only carry our day packs, lunches,water, and game processing tools.I guess me and that mule are a matched pair.
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Tigger » 08 24, 2021 •  [Post 5]

A good headlamp is priceless. I bring a little bathroom rug for when I get out of bed. Whitey, try using a large gatorade bottle! Good area lights make difference around camp.
Tigger