Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Coolers

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Coolers

Postby Swede » 07 20, 2021 •  [Post 1]

What is your opinion: Are the large hard rotomolded coolers worth what they cost for an extended campout? How much would you pay, and which would you choose?
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Coolers

Postby 7mmfan » 07 20, 2021 •  [Post 2]

It depends on what your intended use is. They certainly keep ice much longer, but if you're in and out of them constantly they are only so good. What I have found them to excel at is keeping frozen stuff frozen for a long time. I precook all my meals ahead of time, vac seal them, and freeze them. I then use one of my 65qt Rtic coolers and fill it strictly with frozen goods. I only get in it once a day to pull that nights meal out to thaw. At the end of 10 days the last meal or two are usually thawed out in the cooler but cold.

If using it to store or transport meat, especially bone in elk quarters, you need a long 120 qt to fit them. Having a dedicated cooler for it with frozen milk jugs of such in it to make sure it is precooled helps a lot. Pre cooling is very important with them. They have a lot of mass to cool down before putting items intended to keep cold in them.

Lastly, they are heavy. My 65 weighs at least 25#, and the 110 weighs 40#. Keep that in mind when it comes to loading and moving.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby Tigger » 07 21, 2021 •  [Post 3]

pretty much what 7mm said. If you keep them shut, they really shine by keeping food frozen for a crazy amount of time. For a cooler that is going to get opened a dozen times per day, the cooler just cannot combat the warm air that you introduce -- that is not the coolers fault. I like RTIC a lot. they have some nice sales. I like the Lifetime that is sold at Walmart.
Tigger

Postby 7mmfan » 07 21, 2021 •  [Post 4]

In regards to brand, I see no reason to pay the Yeti premium. Rtic comes from China like most things, but it is half the price of a Yeti and basically the same cooler. There are lots of other high priced options out there, I think they are all basically the same. The Lifetime ones at Walmart look interesting, I have no experience with them.

For what it's worth, I'm actually moving away from my bigger rotomolded coolers that I got for meat, because the times of year that I hunt deer and elk, I just don't need that kind of cooling power. I'm looking at the larger Coleman Extremes as a more cost effective, lighter weight but still very efficient cooler for meat storage.
7mmfan

Postby Swede » 07 21, 2021 •  [Post 5]

I am seeing some good information on what I asked plus some other valuable advise. Thanks for the feedback. I have no doubt it is asking too much of a cooler to keep ice for days when you open and shut it a lot. Two smaller coolers in that situation makes a lot of sense. Precooling the cooler also strikes me as solid advise. Thanks
Swede

Postby Tigger » 07 21, 2021 •  [Post 6]

Swede, we always give you good advice. remember that time we convinced you to wear undergarments made out of bacon? That turned out pretty good.
Tigger

Postby Swede » 07 22, 2021 •  [Post 7]

Well I have ordered a Cabela's 80 quart Polar Cap Equalizer cooler. It is supposed to get here next week. Based on some good advise I received from you jerks, I am going to put smaller coolers inside of my old 164 quart cooler so I have the extra insulation and the smaller coolers can be opened and closed independently from the others. That too should help keep things cold longer. In addition the large older cooler will be readily available to transport an elk back home.
I do not care how dumb RJ says you Stooges are, you come up with some good information every once in awhile. :D
Swede

Postby Lefty » 07 22, 2021 •  [Post 8]

I guess I times out when I posted my response the other night.
But here is part of it,..10lbs of dry ice and filled the cooler with block and bagged ice in a Yeti 65 made it 18 days and still had 2 small blocks of ice and cold water :P From the last days in august to the middle of Sept.
This year, I think the generators and a little $100 freezer will be at camp
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby 7mmfan » 07 22, 2021 •  [Post 9]

Swede wrote:Well I have ordered a Cabela's 80 quart Polar Cap Equalizer cooler. It is supposed to get here next week. Based on some good advise I received from you jerks, I am going to put smaller coolers inside of my old 164 quart cooler so I have the extra insulation and the smaller coolers can be opened and closed independently from the others. That too should help keep things cold longer. In addition the large older cooler will be readily available to transport an elk back home.
I do not care how dumb RJ says you Stooges are, you come up with some good information every once in awhile. :D

I'll say that I never considered putting a cooler inside another cooler. That is all Swede, and I like it.
7mmfan

Postby Swede » 07 23, 2021 •  [Post 10]

Well, the cooler came in today way ahead of the scheduled arrival date. It won't need a cooler inside the cooler. It is heavy with thick walls. I am looking forward to testing it out in camp.
Swede

Postby >>>---WW----> » 07 24, 2021 •  [Post 11]

Why wait !! Put some ice in it now and see how long it last. Let us know how things pan out! :D
>>>---WW---->

Postby Swede » 07 24, 2021 •  [Post 12]

How about this? I will freeze four one gallon milk ice jugs. I will put two in the new chest. I will put two in the old ice chest, but one will be in a chest inside the old chest. They will all be kept in the same room in our house and each will be opened the same amount at just about the same time. We will see how it turns out. I have no ice now but will get started soon.
Swede

Postby Swede » 07 24, 2021 •  [Post 13]

At this time I have four gallons on water in the freezer. The milk jugs are filled to the same level as exactly the same as my eyes can tell. I even leveled the water in them while on my table using a cup to add a little water so they are all alike. We are precision here. :D I have three coolers in the basement now where the ice melt will be measured. All three coolers are wide open. The temperature of the basement is warm, but not hot and it remains pretty constant. This experiment will not approximate what you will experience on your hunt, but will measure how they perform against each other.
The smallest cooler which will go inside the largest cooler is a small picnic Igloo. It has more than enough room and will have one milk jug.
The largest cooler, that will hold the smaller cooler and a second milk jug, is an older traditional 164 quart Igloo.
The other cooler that will also get tow milk jugs is the Cabela's Polar Cap Equalizer.
The coolers will be opened just once a day to check how things are going. Each will be opened for exactly 15 seconds, except for the smallest cooler. I cannot open and close the large and small cooler at exactly the same time.
Your job now is to wait and see how this all turns out. I suspect it will take over a week.

My wife likes the idea of the experiment is already helping. She will do the timing for the opening and closing of the coolers.

In case you are wondering, there are a lot of on-line comparisons between different brand hard rotomolded coolers, so we do not need to reinvent that experiment. This will compare the newest rotomolded cooler with a large traditional one.
Swede

Postby Billy Goat » 07 25, 2021 •  [Post 14]

interesting test lab you're running here Swede.

in my own experience, the new cooler styles are neat, but they are danged heavy, and you lose A LOT of capacity via the thicker walls. yes they'll keep ice a really long time, but in rifle season, thats not a big deal to me. we camp at ~10k and it gets into the teens most nights, so we really dont "lose" much ice over time, and I'm in that camp for 2 full weeks. likely a different experience at lower elevations during bow seasons (hotter).

like others above, we never store elk meat in those coolers. we hang the meat in the shade all week, then the night before we pack up to come home, put the 1/4's in "normal" 80-120 quart Igloo type coolers. thus far, it hasnt been a problem.
"First teach a child to love God,
teach them second to love their family
and third, teach them to hunt and fish,
and by the time they reach their teens, no dope peddler under the sun will ever teach them anything".

-Cotton Cordell
Billy Goat

Postby Swede » 07 25, 2021 •  [Post 15]

No doubt the newer coolers are heavy. The Polar Cap cooler capacity is 80 quart. The weight is about the same as my cooler that is twice the size. Hunting and camping in July, August and September is different than in the rifle elk season. We experience temperatures in the 90s at times. It usually cools down some in the second half of September, but you still need your ice.
Swede

Postby Tigger » 07 26, 2021 •  [Post 16]

I can just picture Swede and his wife in white lab coats with clipboards running this experiment. I will contact Gary Larson, i am sure he would like to make this into a Far Side cartoon.
Tigger

Postby Swede » 07 26, 2021 •  [Post 17]

It has been just a little over a day that the ice has been in the coolers. The ice in the Igloo cooler has melted a lot. The ice in the small cooler is not doing much better. That may be not help. The ice in the Polar Cap is holding up well. There is a little water around the ice, but not much.
BTW: Mrs. Swede is not getting involved. :( She is making cookies for the kids and grandkids. Anyway, I just kept the lid open for just a very short time to check on things and tried to keep things as equal as possible.

The next time I can check the ice will be Thursday afternoon. The ice in the Igloo may be gone then.
Swede

Postby 7mmfan » 07 26, 2021 •  [Post 18]

Glad to hear no one has been injured during your experiment so far. These cooler tests can be quite dangerous.

I would be curious to see how your coolers stack up against each other after a healthy pre-cool session. If you were to put a couple of frozen jugs in each one for 12 hours or so, and then switch out to fresh jugs for the experiment. I know that I've noticed enormous benefits with the heavy roto-coolers even with just an hour or two of precooling before putting the goods in it.
7mmfan

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 26, 2021 •  [Post 19]

Don’t sleep on drilling a few 3/4” holes in the lids of the inexpensive coolers and and shooting it full of crack seal (helps the insulation properties a ton). Most of the low end brands don’t insulate the lids, go figure?
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Swede » 07 26, 2021 •  [Post 20]

7mmfan wrote:I would be curious to see how your coolers stack up against each other after a healthy pre-cool session. If you were to put a couple of frozen jugs in each one for 12 hours or so, and then switch out to fresh jugs for the experiment. I know that I've noticed enormous benefits with the heavy roto-coolers even with just an hour or two of precooling before putting the goods in it.

And when I get a spare freezer so that I can just freeze water in milk jugs you will get a test like that. I would have liked to have had more ice for this experiment, but our little freezer is too full.
Swede

Postby Tigger » 07 27, 2021 •  [Post 21]

then throw out what is in that freezer so you can entertain us! Sheesh, it is all about us. Or go buy block ice maybe? We don't care how much it costs!

Gary Larson would like some pictures..... :lol:
Tigger

Postby Swede » 07 27, 2021 •  [Post 22]

Tigger wrote:then throw out what is in that freezer so you can entertain us! Sheesh, it is all about us. Or go buy block ice maybe? We don't care how much it costs!:

After this first run I think I will try a second test. I can precool the coolers with some cold water and put in four jugs of ice in the larger cooler. It should have twice the ice to be fair since it is twice the size. One of you jerks (7mm) could bring me some extra ice so I don't have to rearrange things in the freezer.
Swede

Postby Swede » 07 29, 2021 •  [Post 23]

I was gone from home for three days. When I got back this afternoon the ice in the large cooler was all melted. The ice in the Polar Cap is still about 1/2 there. I will start another test with more ice in the large cooler later if I can.
Swede

Postby 7mmfan » 07 30, 2021 •  [Post 24]

Swede wrote:I was gone from home for three days. When I got back this afternoon the ice in the large cooler was all melted. The ice in the Polar Cap is still about 1/2 there. I will start another test with more ice in the large cooler later if I can.

That's a pretty good test I think. I'd bring you a bunch of block ice for your next test but I have a birthday party for my 4 year old son this weekend. Plus, It would all melt before I got down to you. I'd have to use it to precool my coolers and I don't have enough freezer space to store more... I feel like I've heard this before.
7mmfan

Postby Swede » 07 30, 2021 •  [Post 25]

I have another plan for the next round. Since there is not enough space in the freezer to hold all of the ice needed to do the test for both coolers at the same time. I will do the test with one, then another. The basement has a constant temperature 24/7 within a very limited range. I think we all know how this will turn out, but it should be interesting to see just how big the difference is.
Swede

Postby Swede » 07 31, 2021 •  [Post 26]

Ten days? No. Without more ice in the cooler I did not come close. I got five days only. It seems reasonable that four gallons of ice would get me close, but the lid would need to stay closed except for maybe once a day to get out frozen meat or the like. On hot days it is going to be hard to keep ice regardless of the cooler.
Swede

Postby Lefty » 08 04, 2021 •  [Post 27]

Longer duration:
Put a couple lbs of dry ice
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Tigger » 08 05, 2021 •  [Post 28]

For the real world uses (not in Swede's basement next to his other lab experiments), sun plays a big role. Keep them in the shade!
Tigger

Postby 7mmfan » 08 05, 2021 •  [Post 29]

Dry ice turns good rotocoolers into veritable freezers. Monday this week I hosted a hole at a golf tournament. It was blazing hot so I decided to bring something cold for the golfers other than silver bullets. I loaded my 65 qt Rtic with 180 ice cream bars of various forms and flavors and then threw 5# of dry ice on top. That was at 8 am. when I left at 7:30 pm what was left was frozen so hard I could barely bite through it.
7mmfan

Postby Swede » 08 05, 2021 •  [Post 30]

I plan to get dry ice for the hunting trip. I will need to find a place in eastern Oregon to resupply it as I expect to be gone at least a month.
Swede

Postby Tigger » 08 05, 2021 •  [Post 31]

Hey Swede, what other lab experiments do you have going down there? :shock: :o
Tigger

Postby 7mmfan » 08 05, 2021 •  [Post 32]

Tigger wrote:Hey Swede, what other lab experiments do you have going down there? :shock: :o

Don't implicate yourself Swede! I hear Tigger is working for "the man" now!
7mmfan

Postby Swede » 08 05, 2021 •  [Post 33]

I do not have any more basement experiments planned. I could come up with a smart pill experiment to run on Tigger, or anyone else that wants to show us how smart they are. :twisted:
Swede

Postby Elkhunttoo » 08 08, 2021 •  [Post 34]

Just bought a “Lifetime” 55 quart one from Walmart and used it this weekend… I want to test it with the old Coleman’s I have
Elkhunttoo

Postby Tigger » 08 09, 2021 •  [Post 35]

'too,
I am looking hard at that cooler. I cannot wait to see how you like it!
Tigger

Postby Swede » 08 09, 2021 •  [Post 36]

I have water in the freezer and should be able to observe how long it lasts as soon as the ice is made. I will not be doing a comparison test but will put 5 gallons of regular ice in the cooler and check it once a day until it is gone.
Do any of you jerks have a good idea how much dry ice I should purchase to supplement my regular ice? I am not sure that is how it is supposed to work, as the dry ice is so much colder that the regular. I get the idea the dry ice does not last much longer than the regular, but it will do better than the regular ice in keeping things cold. Is that correct?
Swede

Postby 7mmfan » 08 09, 2021 •  [Post 37]

Dry ice sublimates (evaporates) much faster than regular ice will melt in those coolers. Dry ice on it's own in appropriate amounts excels at freezing or keeping frozen things frozen. When a small amount is added to a cooler with regular ice it will make things very cold, but the dry ice will not last long.

What is your goal with these coolers? Keeping frozen stuff frozen or keeping perishables cold?
7mmfan

Postby Swede » 08 09, 2021 •  [Post 38]

Thanks 7mm. I actually wanted my cooler to do both. I have frozen meals and meat, but there is milk and veggies too. I do not want the milk or veggies frozen. I was thinking the dry ice and meat/frozen meals on the bottom and keep the items to be just chilled on top. Is using any dry ice a good idea in this case?
Swede

Postby 7mmfan » 08 10, 2021 •  [Post 39]

When you place dry ice up high in your cooler, it will freeze anything below it, so your idea of putting it on the bottom is good. Encasing the dry ice with the meat and meals you want frozen would provide a thermal barrier for the stuff above it that you do not want frozen. I cannot provide any real life experience doing this though, so I can't tell you if it would be effective or not. Remember that dry ice's goal is to cool a space and the items in it as thoroughly as possible and it will sublimate faster in coolers with non-frozen items in there by expending it's BTU's on those items. Your frozen stuff will get colder, but as long as there is above freezing items in the cooler the ice will continue to sublimate quickly trying to freeze those items.

So based on that I can tell you that if you put more than a couple pounds in there, it won't matter, pretty much everything will freeze for at least a short period of time. Also, a couple pounds in that condition will sublimate in a day, so the long term benefit of it is minimal. You would need at least 10# for it to hang around any longer than about 48 hours, especially if you are in and out of the cooler with any regularity, and then I can guarantee everything in the cooler will freeze. If you had a cooler dedicated to frozen stuff, then adding 15#-20# of dry ice would lower everything in that cooler to -30 or -40 in short order and in a quality cooler that is only opened once or twice a day that cold would last for a long time. The ice itself would probably sublimate in 3-4 days but the extra cold product would sustain for several days afterwards.

One extra thought. If you could create a actual barrier within the cooler, say with a thin layer of foam (think chopped up yoga mat) then you could place dry ice and frozen items on bottom, cover with foam, and place non-frozen goods on top. I don't know if this would work, but it would be worth testing out I think.
7mmfan

Postby Tigger » 08 10, 2021 •  [Post 40]

Swede, we need some more experiments. Please post a picture of you in your white lab coat holding a clipboard while staring dumbfounded at the cooler!
Tigger

Postby Swede » 08 10, 2021 •  [Post 41]

I think you have it figured out 7mm. Thanks

Notice whom I am ignoring on purpose.
Swede

Postby 7mmfan » 08 10, 2021 •  [Post 42]

Swede wrote:I think you have it figured out 7mm. Thanks

Notice whom I am ignoring on purpose.

He means well Swede, we just aren't all as easily entertained.
7mmfan

Postby Tigger » 08 11, 2021 •  [Post 43]

I do mean well! I want your experiment to be a success, be professionally done, and not look like some crazy old guy did it in his baseme.....ooops. :shock: :D
Tigger

Postby Swede » 08 11, 2021 •  [Post 44]

Notice, I am still not paying attention to someone. I was taught very early in my youth to "pay no attention to the ravings of an unbalanced mind." :roll:
Swede

Postby Swede » 08 13, 2021 •  [Post 45]

My air conditioner went out yesterday, so the cooler is getting a stress test. The temperatures have been in the 90s here in the house and the lows are in the 70s. The air conditioner is supposed to get fixed late tomorrow afternoon if they have the parts. My cooler is not the only thing getting stressed here now. :(
Swede

Postby Swede » 08 14, 2021 •  [Post 46]

The ice has been in the cooler for a little over two days now and it is still pretty solid. There is some melt, but the cooler is still cold inside. The temperatures in the basement are averaging about 75*F day and night.
Swede

Postby Elkhunttoo » 08 14, 2021 •  [Post 47]

Tigger wrote:I do mean well! I want your experiment to be a success, be professionally done, and not look like some crazy old guy did it in his baseme.....ooops. :shock: :D

Gave me a good laugh :lol:

Sorry to hear about your air conditioner going out Swede. That’s always a pain to have stuff go bad.
Elkhunttoo

Postby Swede » 08 14, 2021 •  [Post 48]

I just got the air conditioner repaired. Murphy's Law was at work. Just when you need your equipment the most, it goes out on you. It is still hot inside, but it should get back to a more reasonable temperature this evening.
Swede

Postby Elkhunttoo » 08 14, 2021 •  [Post 49]

Tigger wrote:'too,
I am looking hard at that cooler. I cannot wait to see how you like it!

“Lifetime 5”
Seems to hold ice fairly well so far…I love to build of it..it is a little heavy though

I used old power aid bottles and juice bottles for it…with 2 one quart apple juice bottles and 6 power aid bottles it held in warmer spot in the house for right around 5 days
Elkhunttoo

Postby Swede » 08 15, 2021 •  [Post 50]

The ice is still holding up well. I am pleased with the Polar Cap Equalizer cooler. In this weather the ice would be gone in my Igloo cooler.
Swede

Postby Swede » 08 17, 2021 •  [Post 51]

I still have a lot of ice in the cooler. I suspect I will take it out and refreeze it before it all melts, because I will need it next Monday when I leave for my hunt.
Swede

Postby 7mmfan » 08 17, 2021 •  [Post 52]

That's a good problem when you have cut experiments short because the ice is taking too long to melt!
7mmfan

Postby Swede » 08 19, 2021 •  [Post 53]

I still have quite a bit of ice. The plug will get pulled Saturday after 9 full days. Based on what I see, it looks like there will still be some ice left, but I need to get things refrozen and ready to leave early Monday morning. The hunting season is coming very soon for many of us. Most of my stuff is in plastic tubs or other containers so it is about ready to get loaded. I need to mow the lawn and get a haircut. What else. I guess this leaving for the hunt is always the same. We are always going over all of those last minute details.
Swede

Postby Swede » 08 21, 2021 •  [Post 54]

The test is over even though there is a little ice left after ten days. Certainly putting in plenty of ice and keeping the lid closed extended the life of the ice a lot. These high end coolers make a difference. Are they worth the cost? It depends on how long you will be out and how far it is to where you can restock with ice.
Swede

Postby js80138 » 08 25, 2021 •  [Post 55]

I save my Folger's coffee containers during the year, fill them with water and place them in the garage freezer until I am ready to leave for my next hunt. The lid on the containers really helps prevent the ice from being affected by the opening and closing of the cooler. Its certainly not airtight but the ice has been frozen for several months and a few since last rifle season. It is a great option versus block or bags of ice and keeps my food and drinks cold in both of my 120 quart Igloo coolers.
js80138

Postby Swede » 09 28, 2021 •  [Post 56]

I put in three gallons of ice along with considerable frozen food and cold drinks and headed for camp on August 23rd. The ice kept for over two weeks and the food was good until it was all used up. There is no doubt that eh hard well insulated cooler is superior to the Igloo cooler. I would estimate the ice lasted over twice as long, but I was careful in how often I opened the Polar Cap cooler too.
Swede

Postby 7mmfan » 09 28, 2021 •  [Post 57]

Swede wrote:I put in three gallons of ice along with considerable frozen food and cold drinks and headed for camp on August 23rd. The ice kept for over two weeks and the food was good until it was all used up. There is no doubt that eh hard well insulated cooler is superior to the Igloo cooler. I would estimate the ice lasted over twice as long, but I was careful in how often I opened the Polar Cap cooler too.

That's great feedback. What size what that fancy cooler again?
7mmfan

Postby Swede » 09 28, 2021 •  [Post 58]

It is the 80 quart model. That is the largest that Cabelas will ship free. It was large enough for the most part. If I needed more cooler, I think I would rather have two smaller ones than one large one. With two coolers you can keep items separated better and open just half as much cooler to get out just a package of meat, etc.
Swede

Postby 7mmfan » 09 28, 2021 •  [Post 59]

I agree with you. From a food storage standpoint, 2 smaller coolers is better than one large one. The large roto coolers are such a bear to move on your own as well. The only place I really see a large roto cooler coming into play is if you truly need it for keeping quarters cool for an extended period of time, or if you are feeding a large group. Even in those 2 circumstances I think I'd choose larger higher quality Igloo or Coleman Xtreme coolers for ease of use and cost.
7mmfan

Postby Jhg » 09 30, 2021 •  [Post 60]

I agree with others if you want things to stay cold longer keep the cooler shut. When I was guiding we made sure only one cooler had the stuff we needed to access often. The other(s) were kept closed.
For elk or other game I use 2 coleman extreme marine 120 quart coolers. One is loaded with 100lbs of ice and will only be opened when I ice the meat.
I cannot justify any cooler costing north of $150.00. Unless you are guiding or using them as often and/or under similar rugged service conditions a yeti or the like are really just excessive. The fact we are even discussing their validity for occasional use is testimony to how we are able to justify just about any expense because the item is cool. (No pun intended)
My coolers defiantly do not get any second looks. I already have a gorgeous wife that gets that everywhere we go and thats plenty. But the coolers I have work great. Aim for any brand that offers superior insulation.

F5C8C11F-D22E-4582-AAB2-A200987F9ABC.jpeg
F5C8C11F-D22E-4582-AAB2-A200987F9ABC.jpeg (100.11 KiB) Viewed 11404 times
Jhg

Postby Swede » 09 30, 2021 •  [Post 61]

What is a good roto cooler really worth? Well mine holds ice and keeps things cold over twice as long as my older Igloo. That means I need to make the three hour trek into town and back much less often. That three hour trip ends up being about four hours after you buy a sandwich, shop at the store and then refuel your truck. It saves me 8-10 gallons of gas per trip. In the town where I hunt gas costs about $3.75 per gallon. That amounts to $34.00+ per trip for gas, plus $6.00 for ice. Of coarse gas is only about half the cost of transportation and when you get to town it is likely all they have left is small cube ice and you will end up getting something at the grocery store in addition to ice.
Maybe my math is different than some, but I think I mostly paid for my roto cooler on the first trip considering I was gone five weeks, (35) days and needed new ice only twice.
Swede

Postby Jhg » 09 30, 2021 •  [Post 62]

5 weeks? Yes they are worth it.
Jhg

Postby Swede » 09 30, 2021 •  [Post 63]

I am using two coolers to an advantage. The older one does not hold ice very long, so it stores the items that will be used first. About the time I use what is in it, I go with the Polar Cap. Though it is not the perfect strategy it keeps things cold and extends to time I am out. You could use two regular coolers that way too, but with the thin lids and poorer insulation, the ice would never last as long. I do think by having a conventional cooler to bring along you can get by with a smaller hard shell cooler to extend your stay.
Swede

Postby Elkhunttoo » 10 15, 2021 •  [Post 64]

I bought a 55 quart Lifetime one from Walmart…I was easy double the ice span of my old Coleman…I was super impressed with how long it held
Elkhunttoo