Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Where do you shoot?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Where do you shoot?

Postby Lefty » 07 02, 2021 •  [Post 1]

I didn't realize this, but my daughter cant shoot her bow in town. Anyway I mnade a carpet target almost a dozen years ago, Ive replaced some carpet. I have a wheat field for a back drop and dont miss the target.
Neighbors hunting crew set u a nice indoor range in their old milk barn, party barn.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: Where do you shoot?

Postby wawhitey » 07 02, 2021 •  [Post 2]

I shoot my bows in my back yard. I do a small amount of rifle and handgun shooting at home too, but i do most of my gun shooting at my parents house. That way im not scaring my critters, and anyway the old man has a nice indoor shooting bench with lots of paper and steel targets from 25-300 yards. Another benefit of shooting at my parents is that its a given that my mom is cooking me dinner :lol:

Ive considered doing some chainsaw work and cutting a 100 yard shooting lanefrom my living room window but i just cant bring myself to do it. It wouldbe too aesthetically unpleasing.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby saddlesore » 07 02, 2021 •  [Post 3]

Nothing close.I belong to a private gun club,but it is 40 miles away.I try to make it once a month to shoot handgun. Varmits and unwelcome critters get dispatched with subsonic 22rf
saddlesore

Postby Swede » 07 02, 2021 •  [Post 4]

I shoot in the back yard. I can shoot out to 60 yards with only trees and brush for another 100 yards behind the target.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Lefty » 07 03, 2021 •  [Post 5]

wawhitey wrote:,,,, given that my mom is cooking me dinner :lol:.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I had a few years like that!!!
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Elkhntr08 » 07 28, 2021 •  [Post 6]

Have a 60 yard archery range and a 200 yard rifle range behind the barn. Country living is great. I can get 350 yards in the bottoms in front of the house with sticks or portable bench.
Elkhntr08

Postby Tigger » 07 28, 2021 •  [Post 7]

I have an archery range down by the lake. for rifles, I have a few options. I can get 100 yards easily on one of our hunting properties. Once crops are off, I can get 400. There is a public range about 30 miles away or my daughter's boyfriend's uncle has a range out to 400 that we shot at on Sunday.
Tigger

Postby 7mmfan » 07 28, 2021 •  [Post 8]

When I shot archery, I would shoot in my backyard. I had a good target and backstop and a 40 yard range. I may fire that back up in the next couple years so my son can get exposed to archery.

Rifle is tougher here. There are a few ranges locally but they're private with long waiting lists. A friend is a member so I can get in with him from time to time. Most forest land is gated or permit only, but I have a couple of clearcuts that are a short hike from the gate that I can get to and shoot out to 400 yards. They're beginning to grow up though, so in the next year or two I'm going to have to find another option. They're all an hour or more from my house.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan