Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Camo

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Camo

Postby Elkhunttoo » 06 24, 2021 •  [Post 1]

I watched some old videos I have from the 90’s and It looks to me like the camo from then blended in better then a lot of the “fancy” camo we have now. If I had unlimited money there are still certain brands now that I just wouldn’t used now a days. Is it just me or have some of the brands made design that people like and think look neat over what really blends in?
Elkhunttoo

Re: Camo

Postby wawhitey » 06 24, 2021 •  [Post 2]

I think you about have it. Seems to me these new proprietary camo patterns are about being recognizable as a specific brand at a glance. So everybody sees your matching kuiu "gear" or whatever. Theyre selling an image more than anything else imo.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby Swede » 06 25, 2021 •  [Post 3]

At a distance a lot of today's camouflage looks like a solid color. If you prefer camo over plaid, get one that has large light and dark patches. Of coarse anyone that pays $80 for a Sitka Optiflage shirt has to convince someone they making a good investment.
I like my camo clothes. They are soft and do not make a sound when I brush against something. Also, I have the shirts a little tailored, if necessary, so the bow string does not make any contact with my sleeve when I shoot.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby 7mmfan » 06 25, 2021 •  [Post 4]

Some of the new camo is a little bizarre. There is more science being used now in it's development than the old Mossy Oak stuff. Understanding the grayscale vision of most cervids and what colors they really do and don't see well goes a long ways. Swedes comment about larger profile darks and lights is pretty accurate. I have a friend that owns a full set of the Kuiu Vias camo, the gray/black/white stuff. I couldn't, and still really can't for that matter, stand the look of the stuff. It always seemed to me like it would stand out like a sore thumb in the greens/browns/tans/buffs of the areas that we spend our time in. All that said, I have literally walked right past him on more than one occasion. Within feet a couple of times. The way the camo is designed it just melts into the landscape. It's pretty impressive actually.

I have being going more and more away from camo over the last few years, and moving to solids. I primarily rifle hunt so I don't worry about it too much. So far, it has had net 0 affect on how many animals I kill. I also don't like to wear camo in public, just not my thing, so it's nice to be able to stop at the grocery store to pick up ice cream on the way home from a hunt. Disregard the blood splatter of course. :lol:
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby Lefty » 06 25, 2021 •  [Post 5]

7mmfan wrote:Some of the new camo is a little bizarre. There is more science being used now in it's development :

Military digital was based on illusions
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_t2ePlwTeBQ

I dont buy a camo pattern as much as I purchase the fabric material ,, Think warmer, lighter weight, stretch, water resistant.
At one time I thought some add ons to the design was a gimmick,.. but longer sleeves, thumb hooks or holes, hoods, facemasks,, slim fit etc all make real world differences same with
fleece, goretex, therma fill ,, No longer does cotton or duck cotton/canvas oilcloth, flannels come on my hunts.

Plus wear-abilitie. I bought my first poly fleece sweatshirt in 94(?) My wife replaced the zipper twice, Ive worn out 6-7 cotton Carhart sweat shirts in that same time frame
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby saddlesore » 06 26, 2021 •  [Post 6]

I too buy for for material,wearability, and waterproofness. The only reason I buy camo is that is the only color the clothes I want come in.
I hate shopping at Bass pro,but their Bone Dry stuff works great . Faded blue jeans and faded dark shirt/jacket works as well as camo. Face and hand covers work well though to cover that white, but movement will bust you every time no matter what you are wearing
saddlesore

Postby >>>---WW----> » 06 27, 2021 •  [Post 7]

There are two things that will alert an elk quicker than anything and camo ain't one of them ! Smell and movement are the big ones....

Camo is good for hiding from other hunters. Elk could give a hoot what you are wearing so long as you control your scent and movement. And even the best el cheapo or the most expensive camo won't help you at all if you goof up on the scent and movement.
>>>---WW---->