Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Addition to kill kit

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Addition to kill kit

Postby Lefty » 06 18, 2021 •  [Post 1]

First who took the steel out of my kill kit, ( my daughter).
Need to replace some game bags. I just cut up the ones Ive, used and washed, used and washed, used and washed
But what I really needed was a skinning knife,,, :oops: A thin blade for unzipping the hide and guts
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: Addition to kill kit

Postby >>>---WW----> » 06 20, 2021 •  [Post 2]

I can sure build you one Lefty! As a matter of fact, I'll be posting a picture of it in the next day or so. The blade is just a hair over 3 7/8 inches long, 3/4 " top to bottom ,and 1/8" thick. The handle is axis deer and elk antler with red micarta and leather spacers and a brass finger guard.
>>>---WW---->

Postby Lefty » 06 28, 2021 •  [Post 3]

Ill take a look when you post a pic. Ive always admired a handmade blade( or gun stock) I added two skinners to the kill kit,..
Lefty

Postby Swede » 06 30, 2021 •  [Post 4]

I have a box cutter with a roofers hooked blade in my kill kit. It sure makes quick and safe work out of cutting around the neck and going down the hide for the length of the body and down the legs.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Lefty » 07 02, 2021 •  [Post 5]

Swede wrote:I have a box cutter with a roofers hooked blade in my kill kit. It sure makes quick and safe work out of cutting around the neck and going down the hide for the length of the body and down the legs.

Ive always used a thin bladed 4"-5 " skinner and my fingers with a choice. And have have used a gut hook that is on the back of my Buck large gut hook skinner. and Winchester: who knows who gave it to me knife with gut hook mostly for working around bone joints .
However I only carry a locking blade while hunting. The knife my father in law gave me for Christmas 31 years ago,..He paid $90 in 1990

My daughters boyfriend Andrew new to hunting bought a kit,.. saw, carbide sharpener, and 6 knives, one with replacement blades. I discovered what I would call a fleshing style knife with a 4 inch sweeping blade similar to the blade I used for fleshing beaver only smaller and had less working arch. I really liked that knife for skinning his bear , ( fresh kill).
I think Ive lost my touch with a knife. ,When I fleshed my bear hide, I nicked myself 4 times :oops:

I washed Andrews game bags, (twice) and they are back in my kill kit.
Lefty

Postby Billy Goat » 11 10, 2021 •  [Post 6]

if you have a vacuum sealer, consider shrink-wrapping all the stuff in your kill kit (game bags, knife, paracord, TAG, etc) to minimize it's size and keep you from having to dig thru all that stuff all week.
"First teach a child to love God,
teach them second to love their family
and third, teach them to hunt and fish,
and by the time they reach their teens, no dope peddler under the sun will ever teach them anything".

-Cotton Cordell
Billy Goat

Postby 7mmfan » 11 10, 2021 •  [Post 7]

Billy Goat wrote:if you have a vacuum sealer, consider shrink-wrapping all the stuff in your kill kit (game bags, knife, paracord, TAG, etc) to minimize it's size and keep you from having to dig thru all that stuff all week.

This is a good tip. However I found that I frequently use my pack as a rest, and when I vac sealed my game bags I lost a lot of the loft that I liked. I do vac seal a lot of my stuff when going on overnighters though to cut the bulk down and it makes it much easier to load my pack.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby Jhg » 11 11, 2021 •  [Post 8]

7mmfan wrote:
... I found that I frequently use my pack as a rest, and when I vac sealed my game bags I lost a lot of the loft that I liked.

That made me chuckle. Its the little things that keep us happy when hunting.
Jhg

Postby 7mmfan » 11 11, 2021 •  [Post 9]

Jhg wrote:
7mmfan wrote:
... I found that I frequently use my pack as a rest, and when I vac sealed my game bags I lost a lot of the loft that I liked.

That made me chuckle. Its the little things that keep us happy when hunting.

LOL I meant as a rifle rest, but now that you bring it up, it's not nearly as comfortable as a pillow or seat either when everything is hard and tight. Yes, we need some creature comforts in the woods too!
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 11 11, 2021 •  [Post 10]

In my never ending quest for that perfect bone saw, I added this one for the 2021 season. Haven’t cut an elks skull cap off with it yet but I’m thinking it’ll do well.

[url]https://www.robertsonenterprises.net/store/c3/Dandy®_Saws.html[/url]
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Lefty » 11 21, 2021 •  [Post 11]

WapitiTalk1 wrote:In my never ending quest for that perfect bone saw, I added this one for the 2021 season. Haven’t cut an elks skull cap off with it yet but I’m thinking it’ll do well.

for this late season muzzle loader hunt Ive added a Stihl folding to my pack saw for trimming tree branches and making blinds
Lefty

Postby Swede » 11 24, 2021 •  [Post 12]

The only thing I want in addition to my current kill kit is a kill. The Wyo. saw I got from the Nut is great. The game bags are well used, but need some more experience. The Kuiu pack frame is perfect, but its handler is getting a little slow. Life is good.
Swede

Postby >>>---WW----> » 11 26, 2021 •  [Post 13]

I think kill kits are way over rated. At least the term (kill kit) is over rated. The only thing you really need is a good sharp knife and game bags. Almost everything else everyone recommends should probably already be in your pack anyhow.

And of course, I hate to admit it, but I have to agree with Swede. A kill is the most important thing of all. I suppose old school minds think alike :o .
>>>---WW---->

Postby Hooked on Wapiti » 12 02, 2021 •  [Post 14]

WapitiTalk1 wrote:In my never ending quest for that perfect bone saw, I added this one for the 2021 season. Haven’t cut an elks skull cap off with it yet but I’m thinking it’ll do well.

That Dandy Saw is pretty sweet looking.
I’ve used the Saw in the Kershaw Blade trader. I personally really like it when you want a saw but still keep the bulk and weight down. But that Dandy Saw is worth checking out for those trips a real saw is needed.
Hooked on Wapiti

Postby Swede » 12 02, 2021 •  [Post 15]

Welcome to the forum Hooked. It is good to have you here. You sound like you have some experience with elk. Please feel free to join the forum conversations. Tell us a little about yourself and your hunting experiences and plans. Again Welcome.
Swede

Postby Lefty » 12 09, 2021 •  [Post 16]

>>>---WW----> wrote:I think kill kits are way over rated. At least the term (kill kit) is over rated. The only thing you really need is a good sharp knife and game bags. Almost everything else everyone recommends should probably already be in your pack anyhow..

when I hunt there is always my knife and painters plastic in my pack,. Pickup and ATV generally have game bags and an extra knife. I would say our Kill kit is more of a processing kit with all sorts of possible needs,. When the game gets home on the counter we can cut and package quite quickly.

And the last couple,, maybe three 4 years we have a battery operated Milwaukee sawzall
Lefty