Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

How Much?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

How Much?

Postby Swede » 05 29, 2021 •  [Post 1]

After viewing a thread on another forum where a hunter asked for advise on shoe laces, I got to wondering how much do we really depend on, or even care what others think about different products we use for hunting. Do you seek advise on major purchases, special products or just questionable items? Does it matter what brand I prefer or is it irrelevant?

I guess I pick and choose on different items. I liked Indian Summers take on the Stagger Bipods and bought one. Misspelling intended. I never thought about a camera mount until some of you started blatting about them. I really don't care what truck you drive or the shoes you prefer. And I still am not convinced I need high end Sitka Marino wool clothes when I can get all I need at Good Will. Ok, with that said: what is your take on our goofy testimonials?
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: How Much?

Postby >>>---WW----> » 05 30, 2021 •  [Post 2]

I'll stick my neck out and hang in there with you Swede. After all, us old farts have to stick together ! :shock: Well, at least some of the time! :D

I think some of the newer products now days may have some merit. But probably close to 80% of them are all hype and the main purpose of that hype is to fill their pockets with your money.

What has worked for me for 40+ years, still works just as well today. If it ain't broke, don't fix it! Far too many young whipper snappers swallow the hype and are always looking for a short cut to success! :roll:
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Swede » 05 30, 2021 •  [Post 3]

I guess another way of asking this is; do you really want or need help selecting shoe laces? How about; do you really mean to ask, is two ply toilet paper important for your elk hunt? Here is a freebee for people in a quandary over shoe laces. I have plenty baling twine in camp and other cord that will make you a suitable boot lace to last your entire hunt. Don't lose any sleep over needing to get to Danner right away. :shock:
Swede

Postby 7mmfan » 05 30, 2021 •  [Post 4]

I'll play. For most items, no I do not need opinions for advice. Boot laces, definitely not. But for higher dollar items like packs, rifles, optics, etc... it's nice to have objective input from guys that have experience with the products you're considering. Also, some items, take backpacking stoves for instance, there are so many options these days that it can be difficult to narrow down. There are far more options now than 40 or 50 years ago. It's almost like throwing a dart at the board and picking that one. Getting someones opinion on what they got, what they liked/disliked, why, and how they used it can really help narrow down your choices. So my opinion is, it depends.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby Trumkin the Dwarf » 05 31, 2021 •  [Post 5]

I trust certain individuals quite a bit when it comes to gear. Usually the ones who kill a lot of animals in a similar hunting style to the stuff I do. At the end of the day, I fancy myself as having enough discernment to tell when a guy knows what he's talking about with gear. I've bought a lot of items sight unseen after doing due diligence online. And I'd even argue that the high end technical gear is invaluable if you want to stay in a tent for 10-12 days without hiking back to base.

It's hard to get enough food in your pack if you can't cut weight with some technical gear! Last time I backpack hunted CO in 2019 I went in with a 70 lb pack for a 9 day hunt. It would have been 80 lbs for fewer days if I'd needed to pack extra clothing, didn't have a super fancy air mattress, and was carrying a 5 lb tent and 30 year old sleeping bag. My pack would have been too full to fit enough food. Technology can be a good thing.
Trumkin the Dwarf

First Name: Malachi
Last Name: C

Postby Lefty » 06 01, 2021 •  [Post 6]

Swede wrote:I guess another way of asking this is; do you really want or need help selecting shoe laces? How about; do you really mean to ask, is two ply toilet paper important for your elk hunt? Here is a freebee for people in a quandary over shoe laces. I have plenty baling twine in camp and other cord that will make you a suitable boot lace to last your entire hunt. Don't lose any sleep over needing to get to Danner right away. :shock:

My quandry, those Danner boots from last Augusts sale: Replaced the laces twice with those cheap KIWI laces,,, Twice

Went and bought a pair of Red Wing waxed laces, $6.99 lasted longer than the original and the other two pair.
And yes two ply Kickland toilet paper is very important
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Swede » 06 02, 2021 •  [Post 7]

Lefty wrote:And yes two ply Kickland toilet paper is very important

There are certain things I am pleased you learned on your own.
Swede