Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

New boots

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

New boots

Postby Elkhunttoo » 05 02, 2021 •  [Post 1]

I went with the Salomon Quest 4 gore-Tex... I was able to get a fairly sweet discount on them. The fit is good and I will wear them on a few bear hunting trips this spring and maybe if I get out for sheds one more trip. I’m hoping they last a few years
Elkhunttoo

Re: New boots

Postby Fridaythe13th » 05 03, 2021 •  [Post 2]

What kind of feet do you have? I have long skinny feet. Size 13, probably a B width but I make medium work. I've tried Lowa and Keen but they are so wide my feet blisters really fast. The crispi are my go to boots now but they don't give them away. I always like reviews on boots.
Fridaythe13th

First Name: Eric
Last Name: S

Postby 7mmfan » 05 03, 2021 •  [Post 3]

I wore mine for 2 years. The first year they were fantastic. They fit like a glove and kept me dry even in conditions I wouldn't have expected most boots too. The next year, they were wet all the time. They still fit well, but no matter how much I treated them or cleaned them, they just wouldn't keep water out. Hopefully you have a better experience!
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 05 03, 2021 •  [Post 4]

7mmfan wrote:I wore mine for 2 years. The first year they were fantastic. They fit like a glove and kept me dry even in conditions I wouldn't have expected most boots too. The next year, they were wet all the time. They still fit well, but no matter how much I treated them or cleaned them, they just wouldn't keep water out. Hopefully you have a better experience!

Yep, that's about right. I bought a pair 3-4 years as a light pair of boots for just scouting, hiking, etc. and perhaps a bit of deer hunting. IMO, they really don't have great ankle support to use as a primary heavy load packing boot. What I've noticed with most of the the "non-100%" leather boots, you won't be able to keep them waterproof much past the first year. Not sure why they won't hold waterproofing, it just seems that's the way it is.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Elkhunttoo » 05 03, 2021 •  [Post 5]

Size 11 and wide...keen actually fit my feet the best out of all of the ones I’ve worn...these Salomon I got are a little taller then most of them with the stiffest sole I think they make...I will see how they hold up. I’ve found nothing that holds up good when I do a bunch of shed hunting. Shed hunting is the roughest thing I’ve ever found on boots...3 years is good on any boots doing that
Elkhunttoo

Postby Swede » 05 04, 2021 •  [Post 6]

I have not found a pair of Gore-Tex lined boots that don't start to leak after about a year of use. Maybe those Sleaze boots that 7mm prefers are better. I have always changed to rubber boots or put on a plastic sack over my socks when it gets too wet. Be careful with the bread wrappers as they tear very easily.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Thegreatwapiti » 01 22, 2022 •  [Post 7]

I bought a new pair of Danner Pronghorn 800gram gore tex true timber camo pattern today! Huge investment but nothing sucks worse than wet or sore feet. I have the whole year to break them in!
Thegreatwapiti

Postby 7mmfan » 01 22, 2022 •  [Post 8]

Thegreatwapiti wrote:I bought a new pair of Danner Pronghorn 800gram gore tex true timber camo pattern today! Huge investment but nothing sucks worse than wet or sore feet. I have the whole year to break them in!

Good luck. I tried Pronghorns 3 times. It was 2 times too many. They were exceptionally comfortable and great to hike in, but they leaked like a sieve and fell apart after a year, all 3 pairs. I honestly hope you have a better experience with them than I did.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby Thegreatwapiti » 01 23, 2022 •  [Post 9]

Bummer! My last pair of Danners lasted 5 seasons without a leak! I spray it heavily with leak guard before my first use! The sole peeled off last season and I had to super glue it in the field but that was after 5 seasons. Hoping for the best!
Thegreatwapiti

Postby Lefty » 01 25, 2022 •  [Post 10]

7mmfan wrote:
Thegreatwapiti wrote:I bought a new pair of Danner Pronghorn 800gram gore tex true timber camo pattern today! Huge investment but nothing sucks worse than wet or sore feet. I have the whole year to break them in!

Good luck. I tried Pronghorns 3 times. It was 2 times too many. They were exceptionally comfortable and great to hike in, but they leaked like a sieve and fell apart after a year, all 3 pairs. I honestly hope you have a better experience with them than I did.

I bought the 400 gm , Pronghorns there was nothing water resistant about them . They do fit my feet well So thats why Ive stuck with them

My daughter wears Solomon trail runners all season. and has for years
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Lefty » 01 25, 2022 •  [Post 11]

Fridaythe13th wrote:,,,, Keen but they are so wide my feet blisters really fast.,,,s.
Keen and New Balance are wider with a box toe,..That what I prefer
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H