Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

in need of a few reviews....

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

in need of a few reviews....

Postby Tigger » 04 19, 2021 •  [Post 1]

It is the time of year to oil up our old gear and lust after new gear. So how about a couple of gear reviews? Everyone can do this. Pick a favorite or pick something that failed you. Pick one that is a great idea but needs refining. Something obvious like your gun or bow or not obvious like your choice of food and how you prepare it.

Give us the details of why it is good or bad. Did you improve it? How so?

I will go first: I really like to start my day off with Life cereal. The best way to prepare it is to pour the Life into a bowl. the larger the bowl the better. Fill that sucker up! Then pour it full of milk so the cereal is all but floating. Then go do something else for 15 minutes or so. When it is good and mushy, it is ready to eat. If you eat it right away, it is crunchy and not fit for eating. But get it all soaked up and squishy and it is a culinary delight. You can thank me now if you would like for this great tip!

Who is gonna do a review on a:

Gun?
Bow?
Boots?
Scope?
Binocs?
Spotting Scope?
Cooler?
Knife?
Dental floss?
Tigger

Re: in need of a few reviews....

Postby Trumkin the Dwarf » 04 19, 2021 •  [Post 2]

That's just gross Tigger... Eat that cereal while it's still crunchy!

How about an 8-900 calorie backpacking breakfast recipe?

One serving:
1/2 cup steel cut oats
3 tbsp hemp heart seeds
1/4 cup raisins
2 scoops beef collagen peptides
2 scoops powdered peanut butter
1/4 tsp salt
3 tbsp dark chocolate chips
1 tbsp honey
1.25 cups water
optional -- chopped walnuts

Throw all that stuff in a pot at home and cook the oatmeal till it's got a good gruel consistency. Then spread it thin on dehydrator sheets (or tinfoil) and dehydrate it for at least 12 hours. Once it's hard as a rock, break the sheet of "oatmeal" into chunks for a gluten free, dairy free, high calorie backpacking granola. I like to prepare about 6-8 servings at a time, as that's all my large oatmeal cooking pot can handle.
Trumkin the Dwarf

First Name: Malachi
Last Name: C

Postby Lefty » 04 19, 2021 •  [Post 3]

Trumkin the Dwarf wrote:That's just gross Tigger... Eat that cereal while it's still crunchy!

How about an 8-900 calorie backpacking breakfast recipe?

One serving:
1/2 cup steel cut oats
3 tbsp hemp heart seeds
1/4 cup raisins
2 scoops beef collagen peptides
2 scoops powdered peanut butter
1/4 tsp salt
3 tbsp dark chocolate chips
1 tbsp honey
1.25 cups water
optional -- chopped walnuts

Throw all that stuff in a pot at home and cook the oatmeal till it's got a good gruel consistency. Then spread it thin on dehydrator sheets (or tinfoil) and dehydrate it for at least 12 hours. Once it's hard as a rock, break the sheet of "oatmeal" into chunks for a gluten free, dairy free, high calorie backpacking granola. I like to prepare about 6-8 servings at a time, as that's all my large oatmeal cooking pot can handle.

A nutritionist put something very close to that together for me,, to feed bears :lol: Well he also suggested that as a great breakfast too.
Buckwheat,
dried mango,
dried papya
M and Ms without the shell.
Sunflower seeds
walnuts
powdered peanuts,
powdered coconut, he suggested adding high protein dog food to stretchy the fat and carbs :lol:

What is beef collagen peptides, Tim thought he had enough powdered tripe---beef gut,, realized he didnt ,, for some reason I think beef collagen peptides might be the same thing?
Ok ok back to the real issue,, Tigger mentioned and asked about.

Im challenging Swede to write up Danner boots
I need to use our 3 man Kymit tent a bit more before I write it up.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby GoGriz1234 » 04 19, 2021 •  [Post 4]

You had me until beef collagen peptides - what the heck is that and what does it taste like?
GoGriz1234

First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Marshall

Postby Trumkin the Dwarf » 04 19, 2021 •  [Post 5]

GoGriz1234 wrote:You had me until beef collagen peptides - what the heck is that and what does it taste like?

I can't eat gluten or dairy, collagen peptides is just a bland beef protein without all the crap they put in protein shakes.
Trumkin the Dwarf

Postby 7mmfan » 04 20, 2021 •  [Post 6]

It's basically flavorless. I put it in my coffee every day. Good source of protein and collagen that our joints and bones need to stay fit. It's good stuff. I believe it is rendered from the skin and hooves of cattle, like gelatin.

I like the sound of that breakfast TTD, I'm going to give that a shot. I've been trying to refine my backpacking food the last couple years. I'm still a sucker for hot drinks and food though, so I feel I'll always pack a stove with me.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby Swede » 04 20, 2021 •  [Post 7]

I like my Danner boots. They fit me well and last many seasons. They have all lasted over ten years. I also can go over to their factory and get great service.
But I am going to write about Millennium M100 Tree stands. I sit many days for 10-14 hours perched in a tree. The Millennium M100s are easy to set up and safe to handle. They are safe to sit in or stand on.
They are very comfortable and very quiet. Always! When it it time to set one up, rather than struggle with one whole unit, I take a hanger and drop line with me up the tree. When I get everything set, I pull the stand up and easily place it in the hanger. If I want to move it, I have an extra hanger that I can place in a different tree and just move the stand over to it. In addition these stands can be folded up to be more compact, and are easy to transport in your truck or on your back than some other full sized stands.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Swede » 04 20, 2021 •  [Post 8]

Indian Summer got me to thinking about a bipod for my rifle. I would like to take my rifle deer hunting some more. I took his advise and bought one from our sponsor Swagger Bipods. I have not had it out on a hunt yet, but have practiced with it and already know it works well. I still purchase hunting things, though not like I used to. It is always nice to find something that functions well and actually helps. I am looking forward to chasing a deer again with a rifle. I think they are looking forward to the event too. :D
Swede

Postby Trumkin the Dwarf » 04 21, 2021 •  [Post 9]

7mmfan wrote:It's basically flavorless. I put it in my coffee every day. Good source of protein and collagen that our joints and bones need to stay fit. It's good stuff. I believe it is rendered from the skin and hooves of cattle, like gelatin.

I like the sound of that breakfast TTD, I'm going to give that a shot. I've been trying to refine my backpacking food the last couple years. I'm still a sucker for hot drinks and food though, so I feel I'll always pack a stove with me.

I need coffee myself. But for some reason I have no need for hot breakfasts. You will notice you could leave all those ingredients in dry form and just cook it on your stove in the mountains though! You'll need to sway the honey out for something like brown sugar, or just accept a small loss in calories.
Trumkin the Dwarf

Postby Trumkin the Dwarf » 04 21, 2021 •  [Post 10]

Swede wrote:I like my Danner boots. They fit me well and last many seasons. They have all lasted over ten years. I also can go over to their factory and get great service.
But I am going to write about Millennium M100 Tree stands. I sit many days for 10-14 hours perched in a tree. The Millennium M100s are easy to set up and safe to handle. They are safe to sit in or stand on.
They are very comfortable and very quiet. Always! When it it time to set one up, rather than struggle with one whole unit, I take a hanger and drop line with me up the tree. When I get everything set, I pull the stand up and easily place it in the hanger. If I want to move it, I have an extra hanger that I can place in a different tree and just move the stand over to it. In addition these stands can be folded up to be more compact, and are easy to transport in your truck or on your back than some other full sized stands.

Dang it Swede! You just had to turn our conversation away from breakfast to your tree fetish, didn't you? :lol:
Trumkin the Dwarf

Postby Swede » 04 21, 2021 •  [Post 11]

Trumkin the Dwarf wrote:Dang it Swede! You just had to turn our conversation away from breakfast to your tree fetish, didn't you?

It was that mush with beef collagen peptides that did it.
Don't forget, I wear my Danner boots to the tree stand.
Swede

Postby Indian Summer » 04 21, 2021 •  [Post 12]

Sad gear story: I’ve been wanting to upgrade my Leupold Mark 4 tactical scope. The Mark 5 is not cheap at about $2200. But I am enrolled in their guide program so I get it for about $1300. Either way I was holding off until I was able to sell my current scope. About a month ago I sold it on GunBroker. There I was all excited to put the new one on my now naked rifle. But like everything else there are none available and not nobody has a clue when they might get them. A friend has a Mark 4 sitting around that he will let me use. But it’s a process to mount and zero it in and that process requires bullets. Try finding those! I’ve searched the 4 corners of the earth for .30 cal 200 grain Accubonds with no luck. The same guy switched to Berger bullets so he gave me about 60 Accubonds. But I need a freakin’ scope!!!! :cry:
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Indian Summer » 04 21, 2021 •  [Post 13]

Oh and Life Cereal is my favorite. Not mushy, not crunchy.... in between. I do prefer my ice cream to be melting but in camp it’s freeze dried only. Yes I take that!

Last month we made summer sausage, trail bologna, and hot sticks with cheese from Pa whitetails. I’ll be packing that as well.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby 7mmfan » 04 22, 2021 •  [Post 14]

Indian Summer wrote:Sad gear story: I’ve been wanting to upgrade my Leupold Mark 4 tactical scope. The Mark 5 is not cheap at about $2200. But I am enrolled in their guide program so I get it for about $1300. Either way I was holding off until I was able to sell my current scope. About a month ago I sold it on GunBroker. There I was all excited to put the new one on my now naked rifle. But like everything else there are none available and not nobody has a clue when they might get them. A friend has a Mark 4 sitting around that he will let me use. But it’s a process to mount and zero it in and that process requires bullets. Try finding those! I’ve searched the 4 corners of the earth for .30 cal 200 grain Accubonds with no luck. The same guy switched to Berger bullets so he gave me about 60 Accubonds. But I need a freakin’ scope!!!! :cry:

That's a nightmare. I feel for you IS. I'm lucky that I bought enough components for 1000 rounds learly last summer before things got really bad. Good luck with the scope situation, I'd be a nervous wreck!
7mmfan

Postby Lefty » 04 24, 2021 •  [Post 15]

Ive never had freeze dried Ice Cream,, so maybe I need to try it
I only have 50 Accubonds left to be loaded,,, but Ill likely go the Berger direction afterwards.

Swede Ive already replaced my Danner boot laces And I didnt start wearing them until, the middle of October, The I ripped through a lace loop. I guess they dont last as long id they arent up in a tree stand :P

I like my Ted Nugent Arrows,, because I can find them on clearance some where cheaper than other arrows :shock:

Griz ; Google it it up they wont tell you. I think it is mostly gut, you know, " tripe" and connective tissue,.. really no flavor,.. kind of card-boardie,.. I think its Jello ( gelatin) only from cows
We as people dont get enough because we throw it away, wont eat it A body building buddy use to just buy Chicken neck, skin bone cartilage and other tissue. 8-)

OK my cheap review.
I liked the Costco long-sleeved extra long, 32 Degree Under T-shirt. of course they no longer offer it. Tough material, inexpensive.

Lefty

Postby Swede » 04 24, 2021 •  [Post 16]

Lefty wrote:Swede Ive already replaced my Danner boot laces And I didnt start wearing them until, the middle of October, The I ripped through a lace loop. I guess they dont last as long id they arent up in a tree stand

Dad used to say before manufacturers could advertise things as "unbreakable", they should have my brother and me play with it awhile. Some people never out-grow the problem. With your tendency to break things, you should buy their Romeos or some cowboy boots.
I have worn the soles off Danner boots, and had the uppers pretty well worn too, but have never broke a lace or a lace hook or loop.
Swede

Postby Lefty » 04 25, 2021 •  [Post 17]

Swede wrote:
Lefty wrote:,,. Some people never out-grow the problem. With your tendency to break things,op.

I Made my wife fully aware, I was cheap: she would get flowers and not jewelry, and I would wreck pick-ups and tires, wear out tools, destroy clothes, and love her and build her a nice house !
Lefty

Postby Tigger » 04 26, 2021 •  [Post 18]

i don't want to rain on swedes parade....well actually that does sound kinda fun! i have had 4 or 5 pairs of Danners. never got a year of waterproof from them. most fell a part in year2 or 3. the seams always rip open. i am glad they work for you though swede.

my schnees review: insert best review ever here!
Tigger

Postby 7mmfan » 04 26, 2021 •  [Post 19]

I have new Schnee's boots this year. I'll be giving a good review after I get to break them in a bit better.
7mmfan

Postby Swede » 04 26, 2021 •  [Post 20]

7mmfan wrote:I have new Schnee's boots this year. I'll be giving a good review after I get to break them in a bit better.

I will be a lot more impressed if you can give that "good review" in another 10 years, when you need them resoled. After a brief break-in I would call it an "initial impression". :D
I have a 2021 Toyota Tacoma with about 1,400 miles on it. I can sure give you my initial impression.

Tigger: No offence of course, but I have to question the intelligence of anyone that would buy 4 or 5 pairs of Danner boots that gave no better service than you claim. I have found that I can get Danner boots that fit me well. I wonder if that is at least a factor in why they last for me.
Swede

Postby 7mmfan » 04 26, 2021 •  [Post 21]

Swede wrote:
7mmfan wrote:I have new Schnee's boots this year. I'll be giving a good review after I get to break them in a bit better.

I will be a lot more impressed if you can give that "good review" in another 10 years, when you need them resoled. After a brief break-in I would call it an "initial impression". :D
I have a 2021 Toyota Tacoma with about 1,400 miles on it. I can sure give you my initial impression.

Tigger: No offence of course, but I have to question the intelligence of anyone that would buy 4 or 5 pairs of Danner boots that gave no better service than you claim. I have found that I can get Danner boots that fit me well. I wonder if that is at least a factor in why they last for me.

The best fitting, most comfortable boots I've ever worn were Danner Pronhorns. The first pair lasted about 6 months and the whole strip of leather holding the lace holes tore off. The store I bought them from replaced them for me. That pair lasted almost 2 seasons before the began to leak uncontrollably. Found a torn seam I could stick my finger all the way inside the boot through. Danner offered me 50% a replacement pair so I gave them one more try. They lasted exactly 1 season before leaking again. I was done at that point.

I think boots are a highly personal piece of gear. Some people will do well with a pair that other guys just can't seem to.get a week out of. I carry heavy packs and cover lots of miles, often in rough terrain. Danner boots just dont hold up. Neither did Soloman boots. Swede i.hope I can write a review in 5 years let alone 10 applauding them, that's what I'm searching for.
7mmfan

Postby Swede » 04 26, 2021 •  [Post 22]

7mmfan wrote:Swede i.hope I can write a review in 5 years let alone 10 applauding them, that's what I'm searching for.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Gotcha :D
Swede

Postby Tigger » 04 27, 2021 •  [Post 23]

i can write that review on Schnees Swede! after 13 years even! and still going strong. lots of miles on those suckers!

i used to be able to buy Danners for $35. i bought a pair, liked them, bought more, tried a different model or 2, then realized they all fell apart. but if they work for ya, keep at it.
Tigger

Postby Swede » 04 27, 2021 •  [Post 24]

OK you jerks. Listen up. Danner has boots made in China and boots still made in a place called the USA. The boots made in the USA have a little flag sewed into the uppers. That little flag is sewed in to help hopeless jerks know the difference between their better boots and the cheap ones. Don't forget. They have rebuildable boots and non-rebuildable boots. Don't come sniveling to Swede if you buy their cheap, wear and toss boots, and only get one season out of them. Here is another criteria you can use to tell the difference in quality of boots. There is an old saying, "you get what you pay for", or another, "if you buy junk, you get junk." These old truisms are still valid.
For such valuable advise, I should get a consulting fee.

P.S. Schnee hunting boots cost $400-$500 as advertised on their web site. Danner hunting boots cost between $200 and $500. Remember, that first adage I reminded you of, "you get what you pay for."
Swede

Postby Lefty » 04 29, 2021 •  [Post 25]

Swede wrote: I wonder if that is at least a factor in why they last for me.

Sitting in a tree stand isnt very hard on boots 8-)

Im very hard on footwear. Looking at the Danner trails
Lefty

Postby Swede » 04 30, 2021 •  [Post 26]

Lefty wrote:Sitting in a tree stand isnt very hard on boots

I am not sure I agree with that point. I sit two or three weeks in a stand each season, but I scout and hike and do other hunts too. I use to put on a lot of miles each year, but admit I have slowed down as time passes. I did not slow down until well after I retired, and I had Danner boots well before then. I suspect my Danner boots will last me not until I am finished hunting. Hopefully that is at least 50 years from now.
Swede

Postby Lefty » 05 09, 2021 •  [Post 27]

Im hard on footwear. I just put in the third pair of laces in the Danners I started wearing in October.
Lefty

Postby Swede » 05 10, 2021 •  [Post 28]

Lefty wrote:m hard on footwear. I just put in the third pair of laces in the Danners I started wearing in October.

I honestly don't understand how this could happen. I purchased a new pair of Danners in July of 2003 and replaced them in 2019. The soles were worn so that the tread was pretty much gone and the uppers needed stitched in places. They were long past waterproof, but they still had the unbroken laces that came with them. Maybe they send their cheap laces over to Idaho.
Swede