Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Long in the tooth....

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Long in the tooth....

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 03 22, 2021 •  [Post 1]

Ok, riddle me this campers. What is your longest lasting piece of hunting gear. One that you haven’t had to replace, or, merely chose not to. I have an old Federal plastic .22 container (think plastic chew container) which Ive carried my elk reeds in for some 35? years. The other one that continues to amaze me is a Lowance IFINDER-C GPS that is close to 15? years old; slower than hell to acquire satellites at first but is still working like a champ.

How about you cats?
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Long in the tooth....

Postby Tigger » 03 23, 2021 •  [Post 2]

Buck 118 knife. Circa 1982. That makes it 39 years old. Once had to crawl on hands and knees across a plowed field to find that thing when I forgot to fasten my belt after taking a whizz. Found it. Tried all other kinds of knives, but that is my go to!
Tigger

Postby >>>---WW----> » 03 23, 2021 •  [Post 3]

Mine would have to be my old Iver Johnson 410 gauge shotgun with 2 1/2 inch chamber. It has to be over 100 years old and still works. I shot my first squirrel with it. Hard to say how many quail and rabbits it has put on the supper table.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Swede » 03 23, 2021 •  [Post 4]

I have a couple of knives that I have had a long time. Dad got me a Western Boulder knife I believe for my 12th birthday. It is still in great shape, since I purposely keep it that way and don't really use it. I have a 20+ year old GPS. It is slow, but reliable and I don't want to try to learn another GPS. It has no fancy games or other irrelevant information so it is perfect for me.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby saddlesore » 04 21, 2021 •  [Post 5]

P38 can opener and a WWII canteen with nested cup and felt lined belt cover/carrier.I still have the metal one, but upgraded it to a plastic Vietnam edition many years ago.

I still use the two Camp Chef,aluminum cooking gear pots and skillets that I hauled out of a bear ravaged camp I found back in about 1967.

Wish I could find one of those aluminum peculator type coffee pots.

Elk bugle I made out of electrical conduit I made in 1966 . Elk Talk plastic cow calls I bought in the late 70's.

My fathers hunting knife he made back in about 1936.
The Kbar survival knife that I put a antler handle on.This my buddy brought back from Vietnam

1952 Winchester Model 70 FWT in 30-06
Fox Sterlingworth 12 Gauge double SXS made in 1911
Winchester Model 88 in.308 I bought in1964
saddlesore

Postby 7mmfan » 04 22, 2021 •  [Post 6]

I oldest piece of gear I own is my rifle. It's 21 years old this year. Got it on my 16th birthday. It's been abused and just keeps on shooting tight little groups.

I had a pair of pants that I finally retired last year that I'd had since about the same time. They still fit but they were so thread bare and holey that they just didn't make sense anymore. I did recently come across a tote with several old woolrich wool flannel shirts in it. My guess is they are at least older than me. I will make use of those this fall if the weather permits.

No hand me downs from my Dad since he still hunts and uses all his gear. If anything, I'm prone to handing things down to him so I can upgrade mine :lol:
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby Lefty » 04 22, 2021 •  [Post 7]

Tigger wrote:Buck 118 knife. Circa 1982. That makes it 39 years old. Once had to crawl on hands and knees across a plowed field to find that thing when I forgot to fasten my belt after taking a whizz. Found it. Tried all other kinds of knives, but that is my go to!

I have that similar Buck knife, New in 1978, but it hasn't been on my side since my my Father-inlaw gave me a folding gutting knife that 30 years old,..my big game tags are wrapped around the knife and stuffed in the sheath, and in my day pack

At one time I was going to be a big trophy big game hunter,( 10 years old) like a neighbor guy, work hard, make lots of money, and hunt, hunt, hunt. He selected for me a Herters recurve bow when I was 13 years old,.1971
.I shot instinctively at 33 yards and didn't miss a 6 inch paper plate. I was a shooter back then. Still hanging on my wall.

I have replaced the handle 3,or 4, and soon one more time, on a 28 oz trapping hand sledge( hammer)I made in 1976.
A 1970's HiLift Jack hasn't had much use the past 30 years.
My well used Eswing Hatchet that was new in 1978-79
a Ruger 10/22 from fall of 78
My waterskiing lifejacket from 82,,, Doesnt fit me right now :lol:
Bi-Centennial Ruger single six, spent most of it life under a pickup seat. Bought it the night I turned 18, as my gift to myself,.. But it took two months to come in.
Slumbejack hollow-fill sleeping bag, 1976,..$105 at the time,..
My hummingbird, bought in 92 still works,.. It needs serious replacement. My granddaughter can read my daughters fishfinger as good as a book, "PaPa,.. that a big sturgeon, hes in big rocks( ok maybe the sturgeon was a she :oops: )
And I still have an original Ugly stick too
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H