Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

What's in your wallet, err, Kill Kit?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

What's in your wallet, err, Kill Kit?

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 03 04, 2021 •  [Post 1]

What do you cats carry in your hunting pack for processing/tracking big game critters? If memory serves, this is what I have:

Knives/Saws: Older model Gerber Gator 5.5” fixed blade (or sometimes one of my custom knifes, if not hiking too far that day an I’m being wimpy about the weight); Outdoor Edge Razor-Pro with a few extra blades; SOG folding saw if deer hunting (to cut top knot off), and/or Wyoming Saw 1 (the smaller model, 11” I think) for elk.
Game bags: VIAM Outdoors (I have four of the large bags for boned out elk meat and two smaller bags for the loins/straps).
Other items: Container of chili powder; small spray bottle of hydrogen peroxide; ½ roll orange surveyors tape; 5x7 sheet of plastic to lay chunks of meat on as they come off the critter; 100’ of quality para cord; two pairs of latex gloves; two commercial grade plastic sacks; compact pull through knife sharpener (for Gerber if needed and BH’s); and one or two chem lights.

Please, share what you have in your kill kit. Just trying to spark some elky conversation during the long off season :-).
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: What's in your wallet, err, Kill Kit?

Postby Tigger » 03 05, 2021 •  [Post 2]

I only have my license, my Buck 118, small Lansky sharpener, extra batteries for my headlamp, with a partner hunt I only carry 2 game bags to save weight, some paracord, some wet wipes, and some nitrile gloves. I hate putting a bloody knife in a leather sheath, so I use the wet wipes to clean it off first. That is off memory.
Tigger

Postby 7mmfan » 03 05, 2021 •  [Post 3]

- Havalon Titan combo knife
- https://www.havalon.com/titan-havalon-orange
- Worksharp Guided Field Sharpener
- https://www.worksharptools.com/shop/sha ... sharpener/
- 5'x 7'ish piece of heavy painters plastic for meat storage while processing
- Depending on game being pursued, an appropriate amount/size of KUIU ultralight quarter bags.
- https://www.kuiu.com/kuiu-quarter-game- ... k-gamebags
- Partial roll of fluorescent flagging tape
- Electrical Tape
- Zip ties
- Tags/Licenses
- Hand sanitizer/small bottle of liquid dawn soap (bears are greasy).
- 50' of paracord, should probably add more.
- XL commercial Hefty bags x 2

Things I plan on adding this year
- Ultralight folding saw for cutting antlers off or creating an area to hang meat depending on situation.
- Chili powder for early season hunts
- Benadryl. Last time I got stung by a couple yellow jackets I swelled up and got sick. Never had that reaction before in my life but it scared me. I want to have to something in my kit that is already out and available should I get stung while cutting meat.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby wawhitey » 03 05, 2021 •  [Post 4]

One thing i put in my pack last year while bear hunting was a clean folded up bedsheet. Not all that heavy and didnt take up a lot of space but it was real nice to spread out on the ground while chopping up a bear.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby Swede » 03 05, 2021 •  [Post 5]

I have two packs. One I keep in the truck and the other goes with me on the hunt. I have kept a bedsheet in the freighter, plus I have a Wyoming saw, game bags and some cord. In my daypack I have a couple of good sharp knives and some sharpening equipment that I rarely use. I think I may add some disposable rubber gloves to my freighter. Maybe Tigger will carry it back to the truck for me when I get it loaded.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Lefty » 03 05, 2021 •  [Post 6]

We kind-of have three types of kill kits.
in my pack my knife,..paper towel, 20 feet para, painters plastic, surveyors tape.

Then at camp, in the ATV or in the pickup, What ever is closer to where we hike in.

A Bostitch tool box:
Nitril Gloves
Pepper
pulleys, 50 feet para cord,
100 feet mule tape
skinning and butchering knifes,
10 inch steel
small box of 10 garbage bags
roll paper towel
hydrogen peroxide,. For trailing and cleaning
plastic hot pink surveyors tape
4 Allen game bags
2-6 foot stretchy game bags
bone saw
hand sanitizer

Im going to add Wawhities bed sheets, smarter than plastic and bottled water

iii.jpg

rrr.jpg

Two Husky tool boxes at camp , meat boxes, real camera
100 qt Marine cooler
Milwaukee cordless saws-alls
12x12 plastic tarps,
4,5, 6, 7, ? more game bags Alaskan and Allens, our butcher gave them to us
Eccck I just realized the rope isn't in there any more. Ill likely put 500 feet of rope that fits the block and tackle pulleys
20 lbs of salt for hides
download (2).jpg
download (2).jpg (5.05 KiB) Viewed 3490 times
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Tigger » 03 05, 2021 •  [Post 7]

Swede wrote:I have two packs. One I keep in the truck and the other goes with me on the hunt. I have kept a bedsheet in the freighter, plus I have a Wyoming saw, game bags and some cord. In my daypack I have a couple of good sharp knives and some sharpening equipment that I rarely use. I think I may add some disposable rubber gloves to my freighter. Maybe Tigger will carry it back to the truck for me when I get it loaded.

Swede, I would consider it an honor to carry out your pack when it is loaded with elk!
Tigger

Postby Lefty » 03 06, 2021 •  [Post 8]

Tigger wrote:
Swede wrote:I have two packs. One I keep in the truck and the other goes with me on the hunt. I have kept a bedsheet in the freighter, plus I have a Wyoming saw, game bags and some cord. In my daypack I have a couple of good sharp knives and some sharpening equipment that I rarely use. I think I may add some disposable rubber gloves to my freighter. Maybe Tigger will carry it back to the truck for me when I get it loaded.

Swede, I would consider it an honor to carry out your pack when it is loaded with elk!
Keep on packen, drop the backstraps off in my cooler
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby snowbank » 03 24, 2021 •  [Post 9]

I ' ve got a bit of an edge. In my vest I carry my short saw, a tow rope, gps, radio, extra ammo, altimeter, 100 ft of parachord. Cap lamp. In my saddle bags I keep an extra skinning knife, block and tackle, extra drag rope an
d water jugs.

On the horse is the dandy saw, a battery chainsaw, extra ropes and a lariet. In my retrieval panniers I keep a battery reciprocating saw, baling twine, climbing spurs, and 4 bed sheets.
snowbank