Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Gear Review Big Agnus Bighouse 4, Tent

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Gear Review Big Agnus Bighouse 4, Tent

Postby Lefty » 02 23, 2021 •  [Post 1]

Big Agnus Bighouse 4, tent and footprint.
Priced $299-$369.
We bought the tent for its promoted reasons. Tall enough to stand up in, and over-sized. A tent that could fit seven or 8 middle school kids. Lightweight designed for bikers. This is not a tent to be used in backpacking situations or extreme conditions. The tent is designed for 4 adults which will fit four adults
We used the tent for 8 nights in the desert BLM and State lands of Utah, Nevada and Arizona. Overnight temperatures in the thirties and forties. Afternoon naps in the 50’s-70’s.The advantage is to be able to stand nearly upright. We only had one rain day. The rain-fly will do well. Extensive top netting there shouldn’t be any inside moisture or frost buildup
We were camping in rocky country, with one site having more of the SW red sand country. If we vehicle camp in that area again we will use a heavier canvas footprint, Tent stakes are soft aluminum, and shorter. Heavier and stronger stakes should be considered in difficult soils.
The tent can be self-standing without staking if windless. . The tent came with a fix it kit for the poles. That was a concern to me. And I suspect it will be needed eventually. I am very satisfied with the tent, the Bighouse 4 doesn’t do well in wind. With even slight 10 mph winds, one person would be challenged to set up the tent. The tent fabric is noisy with light winds. Staking out the corners and guy ropes adds substantial stability. I suspect the tent poles can’t handle windy situations or snow.
The ability to sort of stand upright was a great benefit for me Easy two person set up. I would suggest getting the vestibule and a thicker aftermarket footprint
Seems to be good value I expect to be able to say that after 50 night.
In all likelihood I will place this tent in a spike camp location next September
Worked well while car camping

151039686_3700992310013644_50813620280711237_n.jpg
151039686_3700992310013644_50813620280711237_n.jpg (132.36 KiB) Viewed 1724 times
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: Gear Review Big Agnus Bighouse 4, Tent

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 02 23, 2021 •  [Post 2]

Nice review Dennis.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Lefty » 02 23, 2021 •  [Post 3]

Im sitting in a Big Angus 6 chair.
So mini review Works great and is comfortable List price is 169.00 think she paid less than 1/2 price. A gift from my wife. She got the Subaru chair$32,000 :P
I think they all cost too much.

Easy to set up. and lightweight I used it at muzzle loader elk camp . easy to pack in and used it on stand. But you will need shooting sticks if you want support for your gun So comfortable but tough to get out of the chair.
Lefty

Postby Swede » 02 24, 2021 •  [Post 4]

Nice camp site you found there Lefty. How did you get so lucky?
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Lefty » 02 24, 2021 •  [Post 5]

Swede wrote:Nice camp site you found there Lefty. How did you get so lucky?

Southern Arizona. A 4x4 trails book listed the BLM road. At mile 4 the the road is unmaintained ,( never graded) and we kept going. Had bighorn sheep go through camp. all day 2 groups of UTVers came past
We tend to go just a bit further than most are willing or capable to have a bit of seclusion Intrestingly we were high enough and the canyon straight enough we had service. Very important to my wife :roll:
Lefty

Postby Swede » 02 24, 2021 •  [Post 6]

Lefty wrote:Intrestingly we were high enough and the canyon straight enough we had service. Very important to my wife

Are you referring to cell phone service, or did you order a pizza? :lol:
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Lefty » 02 25, 2021 •  [Post 7]

Swede wrote:
Lefty wrote:Intrestingly we were high enough and the canyon straight enough we had service. Very important to my wife

Are you referring to cell phone service, or did you order a pizza? :lol:

Hmm never thought of ordering a pizza,,,, :lol: Would have needed a big tip
Lefty