Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Question for elknut

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Question for elknut

Postby buglmin » 12 22, 2012 •  [Post 1]

Paul, for a few years, you hunted a lot with a longbow, why did you go back to a compound? Was it a personal reason, or do you feel like the compound is just a lil better?
I started using a recurve for elk hunting in the 90's, with great success. The reason I switched was it was a simple weapon for close range shooting. I never had a problem killing elk with a recurve. But now cause of some pressure from sponsors, it looks like I'll be hunting a compound again.
buglmin

Re: Question for elknut

Postby ElkNut1 » 12 22, 2012 •  [Post 2]

Oh I don't know! (grin) I like shooting the longbow & if I look back at most of the elk I've taken with a compound most of them could have been taken with a longbow/recurve! When I 1st went to the longbow it was something new & exciting & I really enjoyed it, I took 4 animals in 4 years with the longbow but taking up the compound & all that you fool with also presents its challenges, both are great! I really enjoy shooting it now but I'm sure I'll pick up trad gear again, this time most likely a recurve since I've not elk hunted with one yet! I just love hunting elk, weapon of choice really isn't a big thing with me, I'm an equal opportunity hunter! (grin) Good luck to you & no matter what you're hunting with just have fun & build those memories!! Thanks!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby buglmin » 12 22, 2012 •  [Post 3]

Paul, I enjoy hunting with my compound. Had a lot of fun killing the heck out of grouse and killing turkey from ground blinds. But it seems for some reason, when I'm always carrying a recurve is when I have the right opertunity to kill a bull. Just kinda makes me made how sponsors are. Anyway, Im working on the rep, trying to see if I can shoot a recurve as my shooters bow...time will tell.
Any plans for NM again? Or are you done with NM? Know the hunt in 52 was a disater for you. Although my brother inlaw loves hunting that dang unit. Always room for ya down here in sw Colorado...
buglmin

Postby ElkNut1 » 12 23, 2012 •  [Post 4]

No, no plans at this time but I'd hunt NM in a heartbeat! At present ID takes a lot of our time & my son & I are building points in WY, we have max points there. We have no stock in any other state at present! Good Luck with your sponsors!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Swede » 12 23, 2012 •  [Post 5]

There are advantages ans disadvantages to hunting with both the traditional archery equipment and the compound. I switched years ago to a compound right before my son started college. The only time available for him to hunt deer and elk was archery season. I knew he would not have time to become proficient and stay proficient with the recurve, so I got each of us a new compound. It is easier to get practiced to shoot a compound. Also the compound is generally considered better for longer distances. I still like shooting a recurve, but I am terribly out of practice. It just takes a few arrows and a target once in awhile, to remind me how bad I have become with a stick bow.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby buglmin » 12 23, 2012 •  [Post 6]

lol...I love shooting recurves, and love hunting with them. There was a few times in NM I wished I had my compound, like wen a huge 340" bull held up at 45 yards, broadside and looking behind him at his cows. Usually, I carried a compound in NM cause of the openess of the terrian, but that evening, well, I just didnt have one in camp. In Colorado, my shots are closer, under 20 yards, so its almost a chip shot with a recurve. And I love killing mule deer with a recurve, and now that I've moved back to Colorado, I can get deer tags easy.
I do love shooting a compound though, and my last bull in NM was killed with a compound 20 yards away...go figure!! And yessir, I screwed up some chip shots with a recurve, and had to let some great bulls go in unit 2 in NM that I could of killed with a compound...
one year, we got pics of a great big six hitting a lil tank bout 2:00 every afternoon, but the only place to stick my pop up blind was bout 45 yards. But the bull always walked through an open gate, so we put my blind bout 14 yards away...I get in the blind a lil after 1:00, and by 1:30, I'm bored, so I'm dropping by arrow at ants, and I never heard that bull walk through the gate. All I knew is one minute I look up, and he is laying in the water...too far for my recurve.
And, shooting my compound helps with my form when I shoot my recurves and longbows...
buglmin