Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Emergency Gear in your Pack?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Emergency Gear in your Pack?

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 02 16, 2021 •  [Post 1]

After a few harrowing backwoods hunting adventures in my youth, I've always carried a basic load of emergency gear in my pack. I'm curious to see/hear what other back country hunters carry. For the purpose of this thread, to keep it on track with the theme, I'm talking the type of outing(s) where you're hunting a few miles to many away from your camp or truck, and in an area where an injury, some unexpected foul weather, or even navigation error could very easily put you in some serious ka ka. There, now we can move on ;).

What do you have in your pack, for the types of hunting I mentioned, when you venture into the outback to hunt?
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Emergency Gear in your Pack?

Postby wawhitey » 02 16, 2021 •  [Post 2]

Probably shouldnt admit this, but i carry nothing. No first aid stuff anyway, no epirb type device, really nothing other than some firestarting stuff so if i get jacked up and cant move, at least i can die warm.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby Lefty » 02 16, 2021 •  [Post 3]

wawhitey wrote:Probably shouldn't admit this, but i carry nothing. No first aid stuff anyway, no epirb type device, really nothing other than some firestarting stuff so if i get jacked up and cant move, at least i can die warm.

The more you know the less you need.

Except,... A buddy of mine is a retired doc. While he was practicing and he came on Scout hikes with us m,, his required medical bag must have weighted 45 lbs

He are] the choices I pic from for backpacking
A rain coat of some type
The red first aid box,
The match whistle, compass
The snake kit only where there may be snakes
backpack.jpg
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby wawhitey » 02 16, 2021 •  [Post 4]

Lefty wrote:
wawhitey wrote:Probably shouldn't admit this, but i carry nothing. No first aid stuff anyway, no epirb type device, really nothing other than some firestarting stuff so if i get jacked up and cant move, at least i can die warm.

The more you know the less you need.

Except,... A buddy of mine is a retired doc. While he was practicing and he came on Scout hikes with us m,, his required medical bag must have weighted 45 lbs

He are] the choices I pic from for backpacking
A rain coat of some type
The red first aid box,
The match whistle, compass
The snake kit only where there may be snakes
backpack.jpg

Snake kits are snake oil. You cant suck the venom out or anything of the sort. The only legitimate help is antivenin which is not a part of any snake kit.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby Swede » 02 17, 2021 •  [Post 5]

I carry the same basic things that Whitey does. I have a knife, fire starter, space blanket, some food, gps, flashlight, water, some cord, ummm? That is about it.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby GoGriz1234 » 02 18, 2021 •  [Post 6]

I travel similar to Swede - the only other items I have are three ways to make fire (flint and steel and two bics), and an inreach, as that is what gives the wife the peace of mind to let me go wherever I want.
GoGriz1234

First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Marshall

Postby 7mmfan » 02 19, 2021 •  [Post 7]

I have a small basic first aid kit. I replaced the bandages with gauze and electrical tape. There is neosporin in there and alcohol pads. I also carry a large ace bandage., Thats pretty much it for first aid. Otherwise I have fire starter in various forms, a space blanket, and an ultralight poncho. I usually have a large contractor garbage bag as well that could double as a poncho or even a makeshift shelter in the right scenario. There is always a down jacket in a ziplock bag in there. If I need more than that, I'm probably in trouble and carrying a bunch more stuff probably wouldn't have saved me anyway. My inreach is my nuclear plan.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby Lefty » 02 19, 2021 •  [Post 8]

Snake kits are snake oil. You cant suck the venom out or anything of the sort. The only legitimate help is antivenin which is not a part of any snake kit.[/quote]
True
and most fist aid is go to a hospital.

One of the guys I back packed with was also my vet. And my dog came along. He suggested a kit for my dog, and me.... , He liked that style container. Now I need to go up and see whats in the container but I think he left or put a tube in it, saline solution. I know he took the x-acto blade out and put a real surgical stuff in my pickup first aid kit
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H