Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Packable Down pants and jacket for bivy hunts

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Packable Down pants and jacket for bivy hunts

Postby VT Sasquatch » 01 15, 2021 •  [Post 1]

I am looking for a packable pair of down pants and down jacket. I need something warm because I get cold easily. It seems like most companies are using synthetic (which I have and like fore certain situations) but nothing is as packable and warm (for the bulk) as down. I am looking for these to keep in my pack and use when I am not moving. Other than my sleeping bag, this set will be my main source of warmth on multi-day bivy hunts in below freezing temperatures. (not necessarily for elk)

Anyway, I have a First Lite Chamberlin jacket. It is pretty warm. I would buy the pants if they made them. I have been looking at the KUIU Superdown Pro but at half of the weight of the Chamberlin, I am concerned that it might not be warm enough. I have also considered getting just the KUIU pants and using the Chamberlin (but what if I run into someone and my camo doesn't match?!!!). Any recommendations? Any experience with KUIU Superdown Pro?

Finally, maybe I am just a sucker for marketing. I do have synthetic puffy pants from Sitka (Kelvin Primaloft pants) and they are decent but don't pack down as small as I would like. Maybe I should just use them and cut bulk elsewhere.
VT Sasquatch

Re: Packable Down pants and jacket for bivy hunts

Postby Lefty » 01 15, 2021 •  [Post 2]

Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby VT Sasquatch » 01 18, 2021 •  [Post 3]

Thanks Lefty. I pulled out my Sitka Kelvin Lite pants and I think I am going to just use them. They seem a bit more packable that I had remembered. I also think the are probably more durable than the KUIU down. I do think I am going to order the KUIU down jacket though. I wouldn’t let it get wet. I carry rain gear and a silpoly tarp on bivy hunts.

Anyone here use the KUIU Superdown Pro? I am wondering if it is warm enough.
VT Sasquatch

Postby 7mmfan » 01 18, 2021 •  [Post 4]

I don't have the Pro, but had the Ultra for a short time. It wasn't warm enough for me and ended up with the First Lite Brooke's down sweater. It's a happy medium between the Kuiu ultra and and the pro. I find it warm but not WARM. I did wear it sleeping a few times this year and it was a nice addition in my 15 degree bag. If you get cold easily then the pro is probably where it's at.From what I've read though, the Chamberlain that you already have is the warmest of the bunch, but also the heaviest.

Mu guess is if you tried the Pro and didn't like it, you could sell it in a heartbeat.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby VT Sasquatch » 01 19, 2021 •  [Post 5]

Thanks 7mm. I'll probably give it a shot. I do like the Chamberlin and I have been packing that lately. It's warm but not too warm, at least for me. I am embarrassed to admit that the one thing that I don't like about it is that the camo is different than my KUIU. That is a bad reason to buy another new coat, though. I was hoping KUIU would put the Superdown on sale during their winter sale. They didn't so I am going to think it over a bit.
VT Sasquatch

Postby 7mmfan » 01 19, 2021 •  [Post 6]

What size are you Sasquatch?
7mmfan

Postby VT Sasquatch » 01 20, 2021 •  [Post 7]

In KUIU I am an XL. I am a bit of a tweener for most brands (between a large and an extra large).
VT Sasquatch

Postby 7mmfan » 01 20, 2021 •  [Post 8]

Dangit. I was going to say that whatever one you decide you don't want, I'd buy it from you, but I'm a medium/large guy.
7mmfan

Postby VT Sasquatch » 01 20, 2021 •  [Post 9]

Haha, yeah, unfortunately it wouldn't work. I am actually considering an XXL to wear over everything else. I'll probably go with XL though since KUIU in XL usually fits perfectly. In Sitka I am right on the line where Large is sometimes too small and XL is sometimes to loose.
VT Sasquatch

Postby VT Sasquatch » 03 02, 2021 •  [Post 10]

Update: I decided to use the Sitka Kelvin pants that I already have for now. I think they will be more durable that the KUIU Superdown Pro but I will have a better idea soon. I ordered the Superdown Pro jacket. It should be delivered in a day or two so I will get to see the material and test it for warmth. I had been waiting for a sale (and to replenish my individual hunting-supply bank account). No sale but I don't see KUIU sales often except in their solid colors.
VT Sasquatch

Postby Tigger » 03 02, 2021 •  [Post 11]

That material that Sitka uses...is it ripstop??....on the kelvin series is unbelievably durable. I ended up shed hunting in the finest growth of buckthorn I have ever seen. I was scared to death my coat was going to be shredded. Cannot even tell. I was amazed.

On an unrelated note, what is the market doing on buckthorn? Is it up this year?
Tigger

Postby js80138 » 03 03, 2021 •  [Post 12]

I signed on this morning prepared to start my own thread however your current topic is a great opportunity to ask my question now. Any thoughts or first hand knowledge of The Heater Body Suit? I began my search yesterday morning for a portable durable wearable blanket and this is what Google provided as an option. Last night watching Live to Hunt I saw an advertisement for The Heater Body Suit. Kind of weird that it appears on the same day I discovered it on the internet. Then again my birthday is next week and this would be a great present for 3rd rifle in Nov at 9500 ft.

The exact reason I began my search yesterday was for this specific season based on last years experience. I spent 4 days in the single digits however the wind was blowing constantly and mightily. I don't know of any other natural phenomena that makes me more tired than cold and wind. Sitting and glassing for long periods was brutal.

I would like to hear any input on portability, weight, durability and truth in advertising.

Jimmy
js80138

Postby Tigger » 03 03, 2021 •  [Post 13]

Jimmy,
Never used one, but we had a regional outdoor writer here by the name of Gary Clancy who swore by them. You could maybe look up some of his articles in Outdoor News on Al Gore's web.
Tigger

Postby js80138 » 03 04, 2021 •  [Post 14]

Tigger,

Thank you for sharing the name and the publication. I found an article that Gary wrote on another website and I also read a tribute to him from an editor. Gary seemed like a great man. I am going to order tonight as I haven't seen anyone knock the product in any way. It also is exactly the type of equipment I was thinking of without knowing it existed.

Jimmy
js80138

Postby Tigger » 03 05, 2021 •  [Post 15]

Gary Clancy was a cool guy. Towards the end of his life, he was fishing in the fall on a lake north of me. He leaned over to net a fish and his cancer weakened arm gave out and he fell in. He couldnt get back in the boat so he swam to a little island. He didnt quite make it and with his last breath, he went under the water. However, he went under about 6 inches and hit bottom. He hopped up a little and made it to the island. It being October, it was pretty cold. He was shivering uncontrollably and figured this was the end as hypothermia was setting in. Here came a boat! He waved him down and the guy pulled up to the island and his first words were, "You're Gary Clancy! I read your stuff all the time!".
Tigger

Postby VT Sasquatch » 03 11, 2021 •  [Post 16]

I did receive my KUIU jacket but haven't gotten a chance to really test it out yet.

Regarding the Heater Body Suit, I have seen some reviews swearing by it. It looks warm. I was going to buy one a few years ago but I decided to go with an IWOM instead. The IWOM is pretty warm but I only use it when staying put during a cold sit.
VT Sasquatch