Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

New to backpacking.

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

New to backpacking.

Postby FemoralArchery » 12 19, 2012 •  [Post 1]

I've never done it. Never even thought about doing it, til now.

I don't own any "backpacking" type stuff. So I will need to accumulate all of the things I need before I go.

I only plan on being away from the truck for 1 or 2 nights at a time. I will probably never be more than a couple miles from the truck, but thats nearly as far vertical as it is horizontal. Which is why we are spending the night, its extremely exhausting and time consuming to go back and forth from the truck to where we hunt.

I don't have a ton to spend, but I figure if I start now, I will have plenty of time to save and search for good deals.

What I normally carry in my day pack is:
Water, no filter.
Snacks.
Paracord.
2 knives and a sharpener.
First aid kit.
Calls.
Wipes.
Game bags.
Matches and a magnesium/flint fire starter.
Camera and cell phone, since I get service where I hunt.
I currently have an Eberlestock X2 which I know is pretty small for carrying your camp.

These are the things that I need, as far as I know:
A lightweight sleeping bag.
Sleeping pad.
Water filter.
Jetboil.
1 or 2 man shelter.

A few toiletries will be added for overnights, and some spare underwear/socks. Along with the appropriate amount of food.

I know that I need a bigger pack, but this will do for now. My reason is that we will be camping in a predetermined spot. I will be able to drop off my camp in the camp area and continue hunting. With my X2, I can normally fit everything except the game bags in the side pockets, leaving the main pack open for everthing else. There are plenty of straps to tie on the sleeping bag and it may even fit inside of the compression straps. Its very warm where we hunt, rarely if at all during the season getting below 50* at night. I will carry a rain top and a fleece pullover, and after 4 years of hunting the same area, I don't think I'll need more than that.

I guess what I'm looking for is what you guys think I will or won't need based on my list here. I will be looking for bigger pack, but that's not at the top of the list.
FemoralArchery

First Name: Adam

Re: New to backpacking.

Postby Broken arrow » 12 19, 2012 •  [Post 2]

Not sure about the X2 but I have a blue widow and I can fit 10 days in mine. I also have the spike camp duffel to add even more space. A down sleeping bag will be smaller and lighter than synthetic I have one from Coleman 20* bag paid $89 for it on sale and down to 35* or so I sleep in underwear and have it half unzipped. iodine tablets over a filter if you have running water in your area ( light and saves space.) if its a day or two you might not need a sleeping pad. I just have a thermarest short model weights next to nothing. Not the most comfortable nights sleep but I deal with it. A night or two you just need to be warm and dry.
Broken arrow

Postby dotman » 12 19, 2012 •  [Post 3]

If your close to Kansas City I'm setting up a backcountry backpacking seminar, Aron Snyder will be speaking. It'll be on Feb 23rd and we'll cover a bunch of info. It will be part of our annual RMEF banquet but we will sell tickets to attend the seminar only. Mr. Elknut has been gracious enough to donate a few items also.

Also for 1-2 day trips your X2 will work just fine, I wouldn't upgrade it. For a max of 2 days I wouldn't worry about spare socks or undies but that is me
dotman

Postby FemoralArchery » 12 19, 2012 •  [Post 4]

Thanks dotman and broken arrow.

I wish I could make it to the seminar, but I live in Boise... Don't think the wife would let me make a road trip that far...

I was thinking I will have plenty of space, I will be upgrading my pack and other gear as I plan on doing longer hunts and in colder weather in the future(in the next few years, not this year.)
FemoralArchery

Postby dotman » 12 19, 2012 •  [Post 5]

Send me a pm with your email and I'll send you my spreadsheet for ref, obviously it will vary by person and trip.
dotman

Postby ElkNut1 » 12 20, 2012 •  [Post 6]

Adam, at present I too use the X2 Pack, you can do 2-3 days out of that pack including a water purifier, sleeping bag, pad,, small tent, food, etc. I've packed mine a couple of times with the needed gear for that exact purpose! My pack weighed in at 40# loaded. For now use what you have & get your feet wet, as it were! After a few excursions you will see what upgrade sized pack may be needed for longer hauls! That X2 is a tough bugger, my Son & I have packed out 1/2 an elk on them, they'll hold it if you can pack it! (grin)

ElKNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby pointysticks » 12 20, 2012 •  [Post 7]

i like elknut's advice.

i just started also. well, i backpacked..just never backpack hunted. i've been on several trips alreadys using mostly the gear i already owned. i use a bright blue Gregory pack. it isnt really suited for hunting. hooking a bow on the thing was challenge #1.

i've had some great times. i havent been succesful yet. packing IN gear and packing OUT meat and gear has not been a challenge i've been blessed with yet. i've helped a buddy..but all i did was tie a meatbag on the outside. things got heavy quick..but it was a gentle 7 miles down to the truck.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby Swede » 12 20, 2012 •  [Post 8]

I would review your list and lighten up where you can. e.g. two knives and a sharpener seems like a little over kill. Even though it is steep, you are not that far from your base. The weather is mild when you are camping so I would consider that It should not be life threatening if you had to cold camp. A day of scouting your area may help you decide on other posibilities for lightening things up. I have a good friend about 34 years old and a lean 220 pounds. He can pack like a good mule. At age 65, I look at every ounce and think hard about how important it is.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

New to backpacking.

Postby Herb » 12 20, 2012 •  [Post 9]

One or two nights is warm climate, should be able to do it pretty light. Tarp or bivy plenty on most short trips, usually have a chance to know the weather to some extent for a couple days, helps with planning.
Herb

Location: The Corner of Nebraska that is Too Far from Colorado
First Name: S
Last Name: Herb

Postby Lefty » 12 20, 2012 •  [Post 10]

One thing to consider If your hunting / camping the same place
I use to hike in early and come out late where I rifle hunted. I was prepared to spend the night if nessisary.
Under the tree with my stand I packed in a five gallon bucket a plastic tarp for a snow shelter or tent, candles, water, snacks, fire starter and an old stinky military surplus sleeping bag.
I had a bed of needles ready and some poles set up for the sheler. I also let everyone know where that bucket was,.. You could see that tree from my house,.. 3 1/2 miles away and 4200 feet up

Hmmm I think that stuff is still under that tree
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby FemoralArchery » 12 20, 2012 •  [Post 11]

Thanks for all the info guys, and for the spreadsheet dotman.

I will be going in during September. I will be able to check the weather, before and while I'm there becuase I get phone service in that area.

In addition to my normal daypack/hunting gear, I'll likely add a sleeping bag, pad, tent/tarp/bivy (haven't decided on which one yet) and filter/tablets. Its so warm during that time I probably won't worry about hot food, just lots of trail mix and jerky and granola bars. Probably a hoodie, just in case its chilly.

Also thinking about a Havalon Piranta. It looks light, sturdy and comes with replaceable blades. Does anyone else use one?

I'm thinking my pack will be (rough estimate) 25#. I think my normal day pack weighs around 12#. After doing some research, I looked up the heaviest possible sleep system I'd use (tent, pad, and bag) would come out to 8#. I can always go lighter with a tarp or bivy. With a couple days food and a water filter, I don't think I'd be over 25#. This being said, I'll be dropping my camp off before I head out hunting and likely not moving it. I know my pack is somewhat small, but I trust it. I packed a front quarter and loose meat from a cow 4.69 miles, so I know I will be able to handle 25# easily. I look forward to testing and expirementing and lightening things up, but as I've found out, the lighter it is, the more it costs...

Another thing I'm considering is going on a shed/wolf hunting trip in March. It will obviously be much colder and wetter during that time. I have been reading alot on Rokslide, and have looked up several suggestions for tents, tarps, sleeping bags and so on. I personally like the idea of a tent versus a tarp during the cold wet weather, I see alot of guys think otherwise, but I haven't done either and think I'll go with a tent for now. I see there are several options for lightweight backpacking tents for 1 or 2 guys that aren't very expensive. I've seen several guys say if you want to put your gear inside, to get a 2 man(for 1 guy) or a 3 man(for 2 guys) to allow for room for gear. I'm not concerned about a stove inside, just as long as it keeps the wind and rain out. I will have a jetboil, for hot food. As far as I know the temps in that area will be probably mid to high 20s for a low and up to 45 or so for a high. Any advice or suggestions about what to do different for cold weather? It will probably be one night at a time, probably just on the weekends. Thanks again for all your help.
FemoralArchery

Postby dotman » 12 21, 2012 •  [Post 12]

For an overnight tarp/tent setup for one look at the go-lite poncho tarp $60 and you have a rain jacket and overnight shelter all in 1. I wouldn't use for anything other then an emergency/1 night shelter or for glassing but for what you are thinking it probably would be perfect http://www.golite.com/Poncho-Tarp-P885.aspx
dotman

Postby Swede » 12 21, 2012 •  [Post 13]

Femoral, you are on the right track. I think you can work on your set up to get the best pack for your situation. I question the jetboil if all you have for groceries are jerkey and granola. Why all of the fire starter? Keep you cell phone with you, but leave the first aide kit at the truck. Take only the parts of the kit that you would likely need. ( i.e. a few aspirin) You are leaving your pack in camp anyway, so if you cut yourself with that new knife you can use your tee shirt and parachute cord for a bandage. Most of the stuff I have in my first aide kit will get me some sympathy if I use it, but doesn't do much else. I would keep that cell phone handy to order a pizza just in case that granola starts to get tiresome.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

New to backpacking.

Postby RockChucker30 » 12 21, 2012 •  [Post 14]

Take a look at the Seek Outside Lil' Bug Out for a shelter. It's a neat little shelter that can be a solo or 2 man tarp, a fully enclosed tent, and be expanded to accept as many as 6 guys. Very versatile.

http://www.seekoutside.com

I know you think you want a tent....I did too when I first started. Lots of guys do when they first start, and a lot of those same guys wind up with a floorless shelter after they get a bit of experience. I started out with a cheap Eureka solo tent, then got a Hilleberg Akto, then a Hilleberg Nallo 2, then a Kifaru Super Tarp, and finally a Seek Outside BCS. I'll likely add a Lil' Bug Out, and I would LOVE to get an 8 or 12 man tipi for car camping/base camping.

Floorless is easier and lighter, and if you get a woodburning stove it's really nice for cool or cold weather. I'll likely be using mine over Christmas and New Years in some bad weather, and it sure is nice to have a fire to stoke.

Knife, one Havalon with extra blades. Pack.......I've had a TON of expensive packs over the last 6 or 7 years including Eberlestock, Badlands, a bunch of Kifarus, and Mystery Ranch. They'll all work, but your X2 will too. If you need a bigger pack an old Dana Designs would be a good bet. I recently traded for a Dana Stillwater and it would be a great backpack hunting pack comparable to what MR and Kifaru are offering now, but you can get them for $200.

Water - If your sources are clean and grit free then purification tabs would be fine. If they're murky or taste bad then a filter would be better.
RockChucker30
Site Sponsor

First Name: Nathan
Last Name: Coleman

Postby FemoralArchery » 12 21, 2012 •  [Post 15]

Swede, my plan is to drop off the camp stuff, sleeping bag, pad, tarp or tent, and continue on with my normal daypack stuff in my pack. I won't be taking the jetboil in during archery season, only if I go in during the spring for shed hunting when its cold out.

Rockchucker30, I considered the tarp/bivy combo to start with, but just about all the tarps I looked at were almost as expensive as the tents, and then I'd still add a bivy on top of that. The tent I was considering was the squall 2 from tarptent. This is what appeals to me, 1. its big enough for all my gear (clothes and pack as rain is probably likely at this time of year) plus me, 2. full rain protection top/bottom, 3. bug proof, 4. weighs just over 2lbs, and its $250. I had this in mind for the spring trip when I expect it to be cold and wet. I already have a sleeping bag; my dad has a pad and jetboil that I can use, so the tent was the only purchase I would need to make for the spring trip.

If I'm looking at the lil bug out shelter right, you have to buy the base and vestibule to have a fully enclosed shelter? I like the look of a tarp, they also look like they would be handy for glassing or just hanging out during a storm...

My dad and buddy camped out last year when I wasn't there, and they didn't take anything but a pad/bag/bivy, no shelter at all. The weather isn't really a concern, in the last 4 years in the same area, it hasn't rained, snowed or gotten below 35(normally around 45) degrees at night.. I guess I really don't need a shelter at all, but I want one. I guess its a comfort thing? Is that a normal concern for new backpackers?
FemoralArchery

New to backpacking.

Postby RockChucker30 » 12 21, 2012 •  [Post 16]

Yeah, with the LBO you get the base plus vestibule to make it fully enclosed.

But if I were in your conditions I would just take the base and face the opening toward a big spruce or pine. No blowing rain would get in then.

The LBO base plus vestibule would run 285 IIRC. You can also add a nest later and use it as a double wall tent. Add a connector tarp and another base and its a 6 man tent. Very flexible.

I wouldn't get a bivvy if you get a good tent/tarp. They're flush to the ground.

Golite also has some good cheaper shelters, tho they're china made.
RockChucker30
Site Sponsor

First Name: Nathan
Last Name: Coleman

Postby dotman » 12 21, 2012 •  [Post 17]

I would take a good look at golite, mainly because it comes with a nest if you want the tent feel but can setup as a floorless shelter also to experiment with. If you decide you really like floorless I would then take a look at Kifaru, the paratarp without annex is $180.
dotman

Postby FemoralArchery » 12 21, 2012 •  [Post 18]

Thanks for all the info guys, you've given me a ton to look at and think about.
FemoralArchery

Postby T/H » 12 22, 2012 •  [Post 19]

there are some great lists on backpacking items. Slim9300 has one floating around somewhere. i have hunted 2 and 3 day bivy hunts out of a 2200 and lets just say this size pack is better suited to day hunts. with heavy meat loads from a couple miles in there is a ton of pressure put on your shoulders and other body parts. i will be ordering a Kifaru T2 pack soon. not only will i have the option to hunt extended back country hunts but the pack compresses down to a day hunt mode size. very impressive that the pack has so much versatility. i mostly hunt from a base camp but i like having options without having to buy another pack. i think this one will do that. sure would like to go to that seminar Steve! sounds awesome!
T/H

Postby drauls21@tds.net » 12 23, 2012 •  [Post 20]

check out backpacker.com, in the gear section and in the archives there is a ton of info. those guys over there are all about weight shaving. granted some of their gear isn't for hunting, but they have lots of good input as far as going light. also check out backpacking gear test, lots of equipment reviews.

http://forums.backpacker.com/cgi-bin/fo ... nboard.cgi
http://www.backpackgeartest.org/
drauls21@tds.net

First Name: Doug
Last Name: Rauls

Postby WA Backcountry » 12 30, 2012 •  [Post 21]

The havalon knives are great. Since I started using them that is all I bring with me. Bring spare blades because they break easy.

Before you settle on a pack take a look at the mystery ranch crew cab. Great pack for what you are planning to do plus it has the "nice" frame that is interchangeable with other ranch bags. I packed 1/3 of a boned out elk and 6x6 head (without cape) 7 miles with no problem other than really tired legs.
WA Backcountry

Postby eriks. » 01 01, 2013 •  [Post 22]

Hey dotman,
Where is the seminar going to be held and what is the cost of the tickets? I would love to attend if at all possible.
eriks.

First Name: erik
Last Name: simmons

Postby Bartfrncs » 01 01, 2013 •  [Post 23]

Having done this type of hunting for several years. I offer you the following. 1. Stop and think do you really need a permanet base camp? I dont ,I stay with the elk putting them to bed every night and im always within striking distance.
Bartfrncs

First Name: Bart
Last Name: Frncs