Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Treestand Wingman Fall Restraint

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Treestand Wingman Fall Restraint

Postby Indian Summer » 12 10, 2020 •  [Post 1]

A friend pointed me toward this. He said he looks forward to, get this.... jumping out of his stand at the end of every day. You can set it for your weight to lower your at any speed you want. Also if you push on the strap you can stop your decent at any time. No more worrying and wondering what you’ll do if you fall using a regular safety harness and end up dangling from your tree. Actually lots of deaths occur from hanging too long and losing circulation. Only another $20 for the pro version with stainless steel hardware. Can’t wait to get my hands on one.

Scroll down and watch the video.

https://treestandwingman.com/
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Re: Treestand Wingman Fall Restraint

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 12 10, 2020 •  [Post 2]

Pretty damn slick rig.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Swede » 12 10, 2020 •  [Post 3]

That is a good looking system and light to carry. The interesting thing is that it is cheaper than a safety line from HSS with a prussic knot. I cringe at the thought of people going up a tree with no high quality fall restraint system.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Indian Summer » 12 11, 2020 •  [Post 4]

I climbed up an old wooden stand someone built with 2x4s for steps back in 1992. Never got to the stand. The top step let go and I fell 16 feet and landed flat on my back. A camera in my daypack broke a rib and my left lung collapsed. By a miracle I made it nearly a mile to my car and drove to a friends house in excruciating pain with the taste of blood in my mouth. The local hospital did all they could do and had me life flighted to a more advanced hospital in Pittsburgh. I was stuck on the couch for 4 months. It took that ling before I could lift even a cup of coffee with my left arm. I had nerve spasms up and down my back for over a year. Lots of physical therapy. To this day I only use ladder stands. Believe it or not I don’t use a harness. I hate those things. But I’m going to buy one of these and go back to using one. I never liked the thought of dangling from my tree.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Lefty » 12 11, 2020 •  [Post 5]

As a kid growing up Minnesota had a tree stand limit. Not very high, either, 4 or 6 feet.
I spent a lot of time on ladders and staging. Only two real falls. Staging went out at 6 feet. Another time strattling a step ladder the ground gave out and I landed on my face .

A buddy fell asleep in his stand a d tumbled down.
He didn't need much to convince me to wear a harness, properly adjusted
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Swede » 12 12, 2020 •  [Post 6]

I have mentioned this a few times including writing it in the tree stand book. I fell backwards while descending a tree. The fall was about 12 feet, and I landed on my head and shoulders. I was unconscious for over 1/2 hour. I was sick to my stomach and totally disoriented. I did not know where I was or what I was doing. I was fortunate I could see my pickup about 1/4 mile away and as things started to slowly come back to mind I went to the truck and drove to where a friend was waiting. I went home and to bed. I was sick. Later I was told I should have gone to the doctor and there could have been a fatal blood clot on my brain.
The moral of this whole story is don't cut corners on safety. I thought I could that day. I got to my stand and the drop line was missing. I did not have one in the truck, but decided I really did not need one. Friends: I needed everything appropriate to stay safe in a tree and so do you.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics